Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How far will I need to go to get aggro from a mob to drop?

This topic has been closed.
    • 319 posts
    July 10, 2017 10:29 AM PDT

I looked in the faq and did a search but came up empty. My question is if a mob gets the best of your group how far will i need to run to get him to forget me?

In EQ1 it was over a zone line. I hope Pantheon will have a better system.  Also in EQ1 sometimes a guard would help you out and sometimes he would not. Will this be the case in PROTF?

• 174 posts
    July 10, 2017 10:38 AM PDT
    • 422 posts
    • 33 posts
    July 10, 2017 11:56 AM PDT

I've been playing Project1999 again and I really love the excitement of having to run to zone or a guard to get away. Playing in Everfrost again and running from the Vengeful Soloist, etc. :)

• 155 posts
    July 10, 2017 1:17 PM PDT

Pretty sure it was mentionned that it will be the zone line.

This post was edited by Rendall at July 10, 2017 1:18 PM PDT
    • 2130 posts
    July 10, 2017 1:55 PM PDT

It'll be fun to see if we can crash a zone by aggroing every mob in it and kiting them.

Dreadlands Bard kiting was a bit of a scourge considering the unplayable lag it would produce.

• 2752 posts
    July 10, 2017 3:48 PM PDT

Liav said:

It'll be fun to see if we can crash a zone by aggroing every mob in it and kiting them.

Dreadlands Bard kiting was a bit of a scourge considering the unplayable lag it would produce.

Would be interesting if there were something to hamper that. If training more than x mobs your character gets a "panic" debuff and has an increasing chance to trip and sprain their ankle, which would gradually decrease your movespeed from 100% -> 40% over x seconds. Cureable by zoning or sitting still for 20 seconds or so. Like how people are always tripping when running from things in horror movies.

This post was edited by Iksar at July 10, 2017 3:49 PM PDT
    • 2130 posts
    July 10, 2017 4:16 PM PDT

No offense but that sounds pretty terrible.

• 633 posts
    July 10, 2017 4:32 PM PDT

Archeage had a "Mob Mentality" buff that would appear on mobs.  If a single character had 8 or more mobs agroed on him then they would all get the "Mob Mentality" buff which would increase their damage reduction to a point where it wasn't worth agroing that many mobs at once.

I believe a better approach would be to have straight up abilities that mobs could have to counter being kited, such as spells, ranged attacks, etc.

Yah, maybe a single mob's ranged attack isn't very effective compared to their melee attack, but if you're kiting 8 mobs and they're all peppering you with arrows then they'll wear you down faster than you wear them down.

Things like that.

• 2419 posts
    July 10, 2017 4:49 PM PDT

kelenin said:

Yah, maybe a single mob's ranged attack isn't very effective compared to their melee attack, but if you're kiting 8 mobs and they're all peppering you with arrows then they'll wear you down faster than you wear them down.

Things like that.

People wouldn't kite such mobs then.  Mobs are kited specifically because they won't/can't do any range damage.  Nobody kited caster NPCs because they would stop, cast, run, stop, cast, run and that wouldn't keep the mobs in a tight bunch.

When it comes to aggro, don't put in any artifical caps or limits as that just stands out as incredibly fake.  Keeping aggro till you hit the zoneline is the best solution.  That is why mobs deeper in dungeon or further from zone lines always drop the best loot.  They represent a much higher risk.

This post was edited by Vandraad at July 10, 2017 4:52 PM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    • 243 posts
    July 10, 2017 5:50 PM PDT

Having some of the AI come into play would be nice in these situations.  I like the idea of a mob chasing you across the zone till you zone out, but if there is someone at the zone resting or otherwise acting harmless, would said trained mob automatically attack that person?  I can see situations where it would, but others where the mob might just leave and head back to its home if no offensive action was taken toward it by anyone else.  

This post was edited by Rominian at July 10, 2017 5:51 PM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    July 10, 2017 6:02 PM PDT

If you're kiting for a long time and mobs are only taking damage and unable to deal any, they should be smart enough to stop chasing. Problem solved.

• 178 posts
    July 10, 2017 6:36 PM PDT

I hope some mobs have enough intelligence that if they are chasing someone for a long time and that someone keeps doling out damage and they aren't doling out any damage that they are smart enough to just walk away and not chase them forever over hell's half acre. I suppose really dumb mobs will chase you until they very end regardless of the amount of damage taken and lack of damage given (say zombies and skeletons).

For reasons other than kiting I do like the zone line or the guards as being the safety destination.

• 9115 posts
    July 10, 2017 7:08 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Chimerical said:

Check this out for community opinions

http://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1817/how-does-everyone-feel-about-leashed-mobs

kellindil said:

Also:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2491/leashing-did-we-have-it-already

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3748/leashing-or-deal-with-it

Good links, guys. I will also add this one, where I give my personal opinion on the matter: http://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3129/why-training-and-other-quot-bad-things-quot-are-good-for-the-g/view/page/1

And this one: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3509/mobs

Thank you guys, what a team effort! lol :D

I will have to close this as it is a repeat of a topic already heavily discussed, please join in on one of the already linked discussion if you wish to continue it and please try to use the search function prior to creating a new thread as more often than not your idea or question has already been discussed/answered :)