Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Which structure or style is your favourite?

• 9115 posts
    June 29, 2017 3:55 AM PDT

In Terminus, there are a variety of structures and styles throughout the game, what are some of your favourites? #PRF

Image may contain: plant, tree, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky, cloud, mountain, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky, cloud and outdoor

• 110 posts
    June 29, 2017 8:47 AM PDT

I like agrarian buildings myself ... quaint farms and the like. :)

• 13 posts
    June 29, 2017 8:52 AM PDT

Definately a fan of the structure and style of what we've seen of the Tower of the Reckless Magician so far. I'm not as keen on the generic "ruins" look of some of the other areas (nothing wrong with it, its just over used in the genre).

• 15 posts
    June 29, 2017 9:11 AM PDT

From what I've seen so far in game I like the style of the TotRM. My favorite styles are large and open shared areas that are grand and opulent. Areas from EQ2 like Castle Mistmoore and Palace of the Awakened stand out for me the most.

• 170 posts
    June 29, 2017 9:24 AM PDT

I think the middle it looks the most Asian and I really enjoyed the Asian architecture used in Vanguard. But I also enjoy the crumbling stone too, I will be able to give a better answer to the Devs as soon as I get my alpha key and can explore them. So I'll keep checking my email today (no rush guys). When you get a chance send it, I promise to download it and run around in it thoroughly, so I can more accurately answer your question. Thanks

• 319 posts
    June 29, 2017 9:30 AM PDT

The third picture is my favorite of the three posted. My favorite style of structure is the ones built with stones and beams. Not fully polished like  they tried to make modern buldings but more like the piles of rocks and stones that pile up to make a home to be proud of. Not like you had it built by a professional.

• 189 posts
    June 29, 2017 12:54 PM PDT

I really love the mixture of it all. Buildings specific to the area and such. Like in Khagas Sands, you'll have like little adobe huts and such, maybe in cliff sides too. Desert Cities are really pretty I think. I definitely miss adventuring around the maps in games and finding all the cool buildings and creations that were made.

• 108 posts
    June 29, 2017 1:11 PM PDT

Of the three pictures shown the third.

I would like the first picture more if it wasnt for all the pillars extending well above the entrance wall/structure...what are those pillars function that they extend so far above the structure?

• 38 posts
    June 29, 2017 1:11 PM PDT

I've always loved ruins over standing buildings, there's always just so much implied history with them and I feel like it adds a lot to the world.

• 74 posts
    June 29, 2017 6:12 PM PDT

My favorite structures are the ones that I can climb. I love climbing puzzles, and getting to hard to reach areas.

• 2419 posts
    June 29, 2017 6:42 PM PDT

Ruins.  Massive ruins left behind by an enormous but wholly unknown species, ruins so large I feel like an ant walking around inside.  I also like them when they continue very deep underground.

I'll follow that up with anything made of platforms high up in giant trees.  Kelethin on steroids, so far up I can barely see the ground through the mists of the forest.  Kashyyyk, Endor.

This post was edited by Vandraad at June 29, 2017 6:44 PM PDT
    • 279 posts
    June 29, 2017 6:46 PM PDT
    The last one, the ruins.
    • 2138 posts
    June 29, 2017 8:20 PM PDT

I cant decide, I like the polish of the tower of reckless magician, I like the mid -decay of the first one as it looks like those pillers were holding up the boulder that was part of something that fell down and efforts to renovate. The ruins on the last one look old weatherbeaten and creepy.

• 26 posts
    June 29, 2017 8:40 PM PDT

I prefer the style in the second image. It's got some Eastern flare to it.

This post was edited by Ohanko at June 29, 2017 8:40 PM PDT
    • 28 posts
    June 29, 2017 11:43 PM PDT

Of the three visible? The 1st image.

The middle image, the Magician's tower- while beautiful in its detail, I still find quite generic. The pillars are too blocky, the bridges are too perfect, too straight and exact. In fact, most of the graphics in the game come off this way, even the ruins for some strange reason.

I understand this is in alpha, but only so much can be accomplished moving forward. I'm pretty certain most of the geometry is final.

A lot of this reminds me of EQ2. Maybe not bad, but maybe in need of something a little more stylized to make it less fantasy-generic? I'm not asking for anything cartoony. There's a broad line between realism and stylized that I think this game would thrive well in. I'm hoping for something that strongly reminds me of Keith Parkinson's work: https://www.keithparkinson.com/artwork/ -- artist of the EQ box art. Why not go buck-wild with his influence? Push the art style to its limits.

Let's feel like we're exploring one of his fantastic paintings.

Maybe as an homage and thank you for his influence over the years

Detailed environments take a lot of time and patience to fill out, so I'm hoping there'll be a continued effort in environment design as after they finalize more of the gaming mechanics.

This post was edited by VizualAbstract at June 30, 2017 12:19 AM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    June 30, 2017 3:07 AM PDT

In my book, you can't go wrong with classic castles... More along the lines of the third screenshot. They're a staple in the genre for a reason. It's even better if there are some catacombs underneath :) I'd enjoy pretty much any overland buildings that extend underground.

• 151 posts
    June 30, 2017 3:31 AM PDT
    I always get a kick out of Gnome labs and observatorys
    • 238 posts
    June 30, 2017 8:19 AM PDT

I like all of the areas shown. The third one is my favorite though. It looks and feels the oldest, and with age comes secrets that were hidden and long forgoten. 

It strikes me as a dungeon area that could have powerful artifacts, long forgoten spells/techniques, and dangerous inhabitants awaiting inside.

• 243 posts
    June 30, 2017 8:43 AM PDT

VizualAbstract said:

Of the three visible? The 1st image.

The middle image, the Magician's tower- while beautiful in its detail, I still find quite generic. The pillars are too blocky, the bridges are too perfect, too straight and exact. In fact, most of the graphics in the game come off this way, even the ruins for some strange reason.

I understand this is in alpha, but only so much can be accomplished moving forward. I'm pretty certain most of the geometry is final.

You have articulated exactly how I feel about some of the locations, especially the Tower of the Reckless magician.  To me it's a bit too shiny, and things are a bit too perfect.  I feel like a jerk saying it, since I have no artistic ability myself and honestly have no right to criticize, it's just what my eyes see at first glance.  Some buildings look like they have been dropped in their locations rather than being actually built there, if that makes any sense.  The scenery such as the lakes and forests and mountains are great, I enjoy the screenshots of those types of areas the most.

This post was edited by Rominian at June 30, 2017 8:44 AM PDT
    • 483 posts
    June 30, 2017 10:22 AM PDT

Out of these 3 pics, the 3rd and 2nd, they're really detail and it looks like real ruins damaged by erosion, time and nature.

Out of everything we've seen until now, Amberfaet, I know it's not a structure or style, but it's just so dam gorgeous how can you not love it.

• 14 posts
    June 30, 2017 11:17 AM PDT

Of the 3 pics, the third is definatly my favorite, looks creepy and old. The second picture looks nice but that style is really not my thing, looks lived in and bright. If I had to choose what I wanted to explore first it would definatly be the 3rd picture so I could get all the hidden loots before anyone else!

• 78 posts
    June 30, 2017 4:11 PM PDT

I didn't like The Tower of the Reckless Magician; that one was by far my least favorite because...

1) It was too colorful and looked like made by 3D Model Person (everything looked perfect and clean)

2) The doors/gates/halls were TOO large and too wide, probably made for 3rd person view camera and I really hate those huge areas it makes me lose immersion... I love claustrophobic dungeons :/

My favorite so far is from the two original videos; the gritty dungeons and such. I'm looking forward for a more claustrophobic dungeons like Lower Guk and Sebilis... please do something like it <3

• 77 posts
    June 30, 2017 5:16 PM PDT

Dem dragon claw pillars :D..

• 125 posts
    July 4, 2017 9:09 AM PDT

I prefer structures that blend in or match the character of the environs they are in although there is always a time and a place for the "glitz and glamour" of the big city.

One of my favorite memories is of logging into EQ the first time as a woodelf and falling to my death within seconds. At the time that tree town was such a cool thing for me.

This post was edited by Aatu at July 4, 2017 9:12 AM PDT