Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Ninja invites

• 2886 posts
    June 20, 2017 10:14 AM PDT

In our guild in early EQ, every applicant would be extensively interviewed and if that went well, the next step would be to spend days or sometimes even weeks grouping with a panel of officers in various zones so they could observe how they played to make sure it was going to be a good fit. It was the ultimate test of quality over quantity. It was a long and tough process, but being recruited was a high honor and there was a special induction ceremony for every new member. We were a fairly small guild, but very well respected on the server. I'd like to see that kind of selectiveness, rigor, and formality in guild recruitment make a comeback.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at June 20, 2017 10:17 AM PDT
    • 238 posts
    June 20, 2017 3:09 PM PDT

Maximis said:

Sunmistress said: Baldur what game had a penalty system? Because EQ and VG never did that I can remember.

Same question. I think it would be awesome if there was a mandatory 14 day "cool off" period between guild tags. Never seen or heard of such a thing in MMO's. I dispise guild hoppers and it sucks being in a stepping stone guild.

Sorry school delayed this response. 

I was mistaken . I just talked to my father and he said that the guild restriction only applied to guild leaders who dropped their guild and tried to create a new one, and appretnly it was about 8days in length. Somehow I was thinking that this penality also applied to people who also frequently left left guilds/ were kicked. Im sorry its been 18 years since the launch of EQ, and there are some specific details that I can only vaguely remember due to time passage, and how young I was. The only reason I remember this one is because of how restricting I thought it was back then.

@at Sunmistress I think it would be nice to see a cool off period as well. At the very least it makes players think about what a guild means and the committment that comes with the decisison to join. Its sad what guilds have become Vs. what they use to be. I doubt we will see this ever implemented based on its restricting nature, but its a nice "what if" scanario to think about. I think it deffiently has its pros when it comes to revalitizing the community expirences that guilds use to provide. 

This post was edited by Baldur at June 20, 2017 6:30 PM PDT
    • 416 posts
    June 20, 2017 8:43 PM PDT

I think guilds should not provide any in game benefit other that what members decide to do for each other or what the guild has worked itself to create, with the expection perhaps of a guild bank where items can be stored and exchanged. This way the incentive to join a guild is to play with like minded folks and not for some perks your character will get in game. When guilds get benefits do to size or other factors this promotes blind invites and such as people try to fill space and it doesn't matter who. When guilds are just there to help each other out, people will be more selective and careful both about who gets invites and what guild they want to join.

Even when people have lfg up, I will usually send them a tell before sending a group invite. Just seems polite to me and I play these games in hopes of getting to know others better.

If I don't have lfg up, I ignore blind invites, especially for guilds. I would be very leary about joining a guild that didn't want to group with me first. And I wouldn't want to join a guild where I didn't group with its members on a regular basis.

• 190 posts
    June 21, 2017 4:15 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

In our guild in early EQ, every applicant would be extensively interviewed and if that went well, the next step would be to spend days or sometimes even weeks grouping with a panel of officers in various zones so they could observe how they played to make sure it was going to be a good fit. It was the ultimate test of quality over quantity. It was a long and tough process, but being recruited was a high honor and there was a special induction ceremony for every new member. We were a fairly small guild, but very well respected on the server. I'd like to see that kind of selectiveness, rigor, and formality in guild recruitment make a comeback.

Ours as well, and we still do to this day. We have induction ceremonies, promotion ceremonies and the application process is more than just writing some quick introduction.  Many people don't like it, and that's fine.  We do what we do for a reason.  :)

• 3852 posts
    June 21, 2017 7:43 AM PDT

Different guilds want different things and we neither can nor should focus on one legitimate approach over another. Personally I prefer the guild that does what Bazgrim described and that aims for quality over quantity. But we know that there will be guilds focusing solely on being as large as possible whose guiding theme is that quantity IS quality - always many people on to group or talk to. Those are the guilds that do blind invitations and spam chat channels. Or new guilds that find that growing isn't that easy and become desperate. An option (quite common in MMOs) to automatically decline guild invitations can avoid the annoyance of blind invitations, though not the annoyance of spam guild advertisements.

I agree that in-game incentives for people to join a guild can easily backfire by encouraging this behavior. We may not be able to prevent it but we need not motivate it. Thus guild perks, automatic tithes from each member to the guild, etc. are not unreasonable but may not be the way for Pantheon to go.

I refer to perks like bonus experience or bonus combat abilities etc. Special places for guildmates to meet, guild communication channels, guild insignia, tabards and the like do not seem to me to incentivize creation of guilds for purely mercenary reasons the way that what I called "perks" does.

This post was edited by dorotea at June 21, 2017 7:44 AM PDT
    • 33 posts
    July 3, 2017 11:43 AM PDT

I don't like ninja invites as it tends to interrupt what I'm doing at the time. I'd like a configurable option to auto-deny invites, so I'm not disturbed in the middle of a fight, etc.

• 125 posts
    July 4, 2017 8:32 AM PDT

Ive declined every ninja invite I have ever gotten. I have no use for people who cant take the time to say hi and ask first.