Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Tip of the Day

• 1404 posts
    June 14, 2017 6:45 PM PDT

There are many places where the game will be loading that one line "Tips" could be displayed. Most games do this now but I think it's still an under used feature. Here are some of the reasons I think this.

Tutorials are annoying and intrusive into my game time, I believe "tips" while loading could replace them if done right.

Tips give the player one item to focus on while the game is loading, (while he has attention to spare) not while the player wants to go see what's behind this window full of text blocking his view.

"Teaching snakes to kick" is amusing and it still needs done, but "To take a screen shot press F12" is much more usefull (my wife, not much of a computer user or gamer actually learn how to screen shot from a tip... been going crazy with it since it's her favorite command)

"Loading please wait" face it, this is 2017, everybody know's it's loading and they are going to have to wait. Indicate loading with a load bar if you feel you need to show progress and give us a "Tip" every time we zone or teleport or die.

Charrictor Creation, not a lot of CPU or network info being transfered at that time... why not a cycling "Tip" every few minutes accrost the bottom of the screen.

"Downloading" the client,  a patch or expansion. How many of us are guilty of sitting there watching it while waiting on it... I know I am.. "Tips" in the client.

The "Tips" could/should be targeted.

Charrictor Creation and Loading world tips could be basic commands intended for the noobs.

Loading please wait from having died  could be corpse dragging and /consent type tips

Loading please wait from zoning could be Level or and or Travel (autorun) based tips.

Downloading the game or client should scroll through all tips. I could totally see my wife sitting at the client jotting all the ones she likes down in one of her many notepads "she learns by writing things down not by reading that box that's in her way" when in the game she wants to go.. not read

See what I'm getting at here? Not hand holding but game commands,  every command should be covered in one place or another.

And then of course... the snakes still need to kick, all work and no play does makes Jack a dull boy.

• 26 posts
    June 14, 2017 8:21 PM PDT

I've seen tips in other mmo's but I never read them. I guess if you load slow enough they might be an intresting tidbit to read here and there. The only loading screen I ever pay attention to are the ones that plays a cut scene as it loads.

• 316 posts
    June 15, 2017 12:05 AM PDT

Great idea!

• 279 posts
    June 15, 2017 8:12 AM PDT
    A help command that functions well would be nice too with a decent search function or something would also be decent.

It's a PITA when you are looking for a slash command and you have to scroll through the main chat window to find something that looks like it does what you want (EQ was that way, IIRC VG too, WOW is though there's probably a real help menu now that I just don't know about)

Basically presenting the information you need available/easy to read.

And possibly with user assignable bookmarks?

Like o 6 months ago I had to search for this slash command and I can't remember wtf it was type scenarios are infuriating.

Expansion of the /note system that was in EQ too, call it a journal or something.

Sorry didn't mean to derail but felt my post was in the same vein as the OP. Presenting helpful/needed information without doing it for you.
    • 2752 posts
    June 15, 2017 10:08 AM PDT

As long as I can turn off tips and just have "Loading, please wait..."

• 1404 posts
    June 15, 2017 10:28 AM PDT

Sunmistress said: A help command that functions well would be nice too with a decent search function or something would also be decent.

For shure... my suggestion was just in addition to whatever they have planed, not replacing. 

@Iksar is that to be shure you won't forget what's happening at the time?

• 2886 posts
    June 15, 2017 2:53 PM PDT

I have picked up good info from tips a few times. I agree it's one of the more useful things you can put on a loading screen. But I also agree with Iksar that there should be an option to disable it. Because once you're a veteran of the game, it just feels silly to read them. But anyway, I think it's worth mentioning that with SSD's becoming more prevalent and load times getting shorter and shorter, a lot of people probably won't even have enough time to read the tips because the loading screen will only be up for a moment. And that's not really a bad thing. But I guess you might as well have them available anyway.

• 2752 posts
    June 15, 2017 4:42 PM PDT

Zorkon said:

@Iksar is that to be shure you won't forget what's happening at the time?

No it's because I feel compelled to read the loading screen tips for whatever reason, even when they are things I have read a hundred times over. I can't remember the last time I saw a loading screen tip that was helpful to me, and it doesn't help that load times are so fast these days with good internet and a SSD. In fact I hope this game doesn't have loading screens at all save for when you first log into a character, just a text notification in the chat window letting you know you are zoning.