Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Q? about wipes

• 801 posts
    June 13, 2017 7:51 AM PDT

Not your arce wipe either :)

But are we expected to have wipes after alpha testing? Just have to ask. So lets say, we get to 20, by the time beta arrives will the devs decide to wipe the servers to start fresh?

Or will it be more like dev builds, wipe, dev builds, wipe type ordeal?

Thanks.

• 1095 posts
    June 13, 2017 8:19 AM PDT
    • 470 posts
    June 13, 2017 9:01 AM PDT

Knowing the guys that are making this, in all likelyhood there will probably be full wipes prior to the official launch. As for testing wipes, I expect there will probably be wipes for each phase that involves some major changes to the game client. So there will probably be wipes after each alpha//beta phase to make those changes as well as ensure people are playing through the game as intended to ensure nothing from the new stuff broke anything from the old stuff.

This post was edited by Kratuk at June 13, 2017 9:02 AM PDT
    • 260 posts
    June 13, 2017 9:21 AM PDT

I haven't been involved in a MMO that doesn't do a wipe befor going live. Alpha/Beta is for testing not a 20 level head start. Maybe making some friends as well.

May bet 3 days head start but that would be about it.

• 422 posts
    June 13, 2017 11:57 AM PDT

Expect multiple wipes during alpha and beta

• 1404 posts
    June 13, 2017 12:01 PM PDT

Boulda said:

I haven't been involved in a MMO that doesn't do a wipe befor going live. Alpha/Beta is for testing not a 20 level head start. Maybe making some friends as well.

May bet 3 days head start but that would be about it.

There will be a wipe (I expect many), Kilsin made this pretty clear in the other thread. As far as a head start, I hope not... my experience with this in EQ Landmark was some players that are "intitled" to the 2-3 day head start will have download problems and then throw a fit on the forums and Reddit wanting there money back because they dident get there 48 hours.

Wipe everything, when it's time to open the servers, then open the servers.

• 422 posts
    June 13, 2017 12:19 PM PDT

I am almost positive they said there would be no head start period. Everyone starts out on the same day at the same level.

And the only company I've ever tested for that didn't wipe after a beta was Aeria. They didn't wipe anything between beta and release for Twin Saga.

• 763 posts
    June 13, 2017 1:29 PM PDT

In thread :
    https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2444/last-beta-wipe/view/post_id/79073

Kilsin said:

None of our pledges have head start or early access other than testing for different tiers and we did that intentionally because we want everyone to start equally at level 1 in rags with nothing other than a few cosmetic goodies from their pledges and that is it, this isn't like all of those modern MMORPGs that sell you 1 day or 3 day headstart access, that just promotes a split in the community right off the bat and is not something we would do to our community. :)

Our servers will be wiped prior to release and every character will be included, those with name reservations etc. will be able to do that via a web service linked to their account most likely.

So, no .....
    ... no early access.

• 9115 posts
    June 13, 2017 4:06 PM PDT

We will definitely wipe before release and probably each testing phases, possibly even during testing depending on what issues we find, so probably best not to get too attached to anything :D

We will most likely give notice beforehand but it may not always be possible.

• 160 posts
    June 13, 2017 7:10 PM PDT

Like just knowing your way around and already being used to game mechanics won't be head start enough.  Laughable.

• 94 posts
    June 13, 2017 8:04 PM PDT

corpserunner said:

Like just knowing your way around and already being used to game mechanics won't be head start enough.  Laughable.

Agreed. Full wipe, other than names being reserved, is the way to go.

• 1404 posts
    June 13, 2017 8:11 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

We will definitely wipe before release and probably each testing phases, possibly even during testing depending on what issues we find, so probably best not to get too attached to anything :D

Another, among many, strong and wise decisions by Visionary Realms. It's decisions like this that set Pantheon apart from the rest.

• 3852 posts
    June 14, 2017 5:56 AM PDT

I've seen games go from beta to release with no wipes but this way is much better. I still remember that when I was very young mother kept telling me to wipe and I've never forgotten that wisdom.

This post was edited by dorotea at June 14, 2017 5:57 AM PDT
    • 801 posts
    June 15, 2017 5:45 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Awesome, thx K.

You know i am starting to get the feeling when and before i come to these forums i should just search every gawd darn topic before i even post. Too many over lying topics. And i see this one has been mentioned already. Again sorry for repeating these questions.

• 9115 posts
    June 15, 2017 6:40 AM PDT

Crazzie said:

Kilsin said:

Awesome, thx K.

You know i am starting to get the feeling when and before i come to these forums i should just search every gawd darn topic before i even post. Too many over lying topics. And i see this one has been mentioned already. Again sorry for repeating these questions.

No worries man, yeah after 3 years of development questions, answers and threads, a lot has already been discussed and answered which make it tough but searching will usually always bring up a thread to jump into :)

• 159 posts
    June 15, 2017 8:47 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

On a related note, will pre-alpha, alpha and beta testers be able to create character templates (e.g. level 10, 20, 30, 40...) in order to test specific content or more advanced skills/gear? I would even suggest that templates only be made available after every other wipe or something like that to discourage testers from only paying attention to higher-level content, but in any case templates seem to me a valuable tool to test race/class/role combinations and higher level content and gear without the need to grind to that level.

• 279 posts
    June 15, 2017 10:14 AM PDT

Devs will probably just /level you if they need you to test particular content, or make the function available to the testers if they want a specific level range tested.

On the flips idea they can /delevel or something I'd you are outside of the range they want.

Everything will probably be in a state of (ccontrolled) Flux for awhile I'd imagine especially in the earlier testing phases.

This post was edited by Sunmistress at June 15, 2017 10:17 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    June 15, 2017 5:10 PM PDT

daemonios said:

Kilsin said:

On a related note, will pre-alpha, alpha and beta testers be able to create character templates (e.g. level 10, 20, 30, 40...) in order to test specific content or more advanced skills/gear? I would even suggest that templates only be made available after every other wipe or something like that to discourage testers from only paying attention to higher-level content, but in any case templates seem to me a valuable tool to test race/class/role combinations and higher level content and gear without the need to grind to that level.

I am fairly sure we will set levels or provide an NPC dummy to boost you to the correct level with appropriate gear when we need focused testing in set level ranges but we will explain that all to you during testing. :)

• 624 posts
    June 15, 2017 7:54 PM PDT

For the last day of beta I propose that the dummy (or just logging in) set everyone to max level - as a bard! 

Wait wait...hear me out.

Since they won't be implemented yet we will have no songs or instruments, and be left with the sole option of hanging out in Thronefast partying.  You know, looking good while the world ends, resets, and then launches for real the next week.

I will never forget the last hour of the final EQ beta phase, all those years ago. Freeport was a rocking rowdy raucous riot. Fun was had by all.

This post was edited by Kumu at June 15, 2017 8:44 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    June 15, 2017 10:26 PM PDT

Kumu said:

For the last day of beta I propose that the dummy (or just logging in) set everyone to max level - as a bard! 

Wait wait...hear me out.

Since they won't be implemented yet we will have no songs or instruments, and be left with the sole option of hanging out in Thronefast partying.  You know, looking good while the world ends, resets, and then launches for real the next week.

I will never forget the last hour of the final EQ beta phase, all those years ago. Freeport was a rocking rowdy raucous riot. Fun was had by all.

Hahaha :P

• 279 posts
    June 16, 2017 7:31 AM PDT
    Time to rawk some righteous jams!