Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Sacrifice an item at an altar

• 46 posts
    June 10, 2017 11:27 AM PDT

Hey Friends,

I was starving for some Pantheon while I was washing my floors today so I was streaming the first spring Livestream and a question about twinking came up.  One of the things Brad alluded being able to do with old gear was "sacrificing it at an altar".

I thought this sounded pretty neat but hadn't heard much about it up until this point and it had slipped by me the first couple times I watched/listened to the streams.

Anyone​ played any other games where this was a mechanic?  I'm thinking that this action is probably different than a trade skill to break down an item for mats, maybe it's closer to disenchanting an item for magical materials?

Hopefully we can gradually fill in some of these and other blanks over the coming months :D

• 2886 posts
    June 10, 2017 11:33 AM PDT

From the FAQ:

(13.12) "...There will still be lots of reasons to trade in your items, such as sacrificing them at temples for long-term buffs..."

So the idea is basically to encourage players to take items completely out of the economy in exchange for a temporary (but worthwhile) buff. This helps items retain their value and mitigate power creep, which is what would eventually happen if those items were always just passed down to other players.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at June 10, 2017 11:34 AM PDT
    • 3237 posts
    June 10, 2017 11:36 AM PDT

We'll most likely have a tribute bar of some sort that will track the amount of favor we have with our deity.  In games I played in the past, there were deity-specific questlines you could complete for favor, or you could sacrifice gear.  This would generally open up temporary buffs or other perks associated with your diety.  It's a nice way to remove items from the economy and will help establish a baseline value for each of the different item tiers.

• 633 posts
    June 10, 2017 1:25 PM PDT

I believe EQ2 had a mechanic where you could put an altar in your apartment/house and sacrifice items to it.  I don't remember it too well because I never really did it much.

• 3237 posts
    June 10, 2017 1:52 PM PDT

They also had a houseplant (perk for t6 pre-order) you could feed a bunch of different stuff to that created some really cool consumables.

• 2752 posts
    June 10, 2017 1:52 PM PDT

Are there even deities for all the races in this game? They are all from very different planets and as far as I can tell some of them (Gnome in particular) don't seem to have any religious beliefs. 

• 279 posts
    June 10, 2017 2:13 PM PDT

Much like Virgin sacrifice, the thought of item sacrifice makes me cringe.

Ill do it if thats what i have to do to do, to get a statistical advantage, However some items for me atleast have a story of how i got them, I look at them to remind me of how i got them. In EQ i still have every 2handed weapon I ever used, they line the walls of my house. That goes all the way back to the first Rusty 2handed sword i pried from the cold dead hands of a Goblin in Misty Thicket, all the way to weapons from the current expansion. 18 years of blades/halberds/lances/spears etc.

If we do have to sacrifice items with a  sentimental value  I'd hope we can get a statless shadow version or some such thing, that we can keep to use around town for the look, or just keep in the bank to look at.

Statless, so i dont see that being a point of contention, though i am sure someone is going to argue against it.

• 999 posts
    June 10, 2017 2:38 PM PDT

EQ had this in later expansions as a tribute, where you would turn in items for tribute points which could then be used for temporary buffs.  I'm not really for or aganist the system, it is a way to get items out of the economy, but I'd not want to see the buffs start encroaching on the utility that classes can offer.

• 294 posts
    June 10, 2017 4:13 PM PDT

Sunmistress said:

Ill do it if thats what i have to do to do, to get a statistical advantage, However some items for me atleast have a story of how i got them, I look at them to remind me of how i got them. In EQ i still have every 2handed weapon I ever used, they line the walls of my house. That goes all the way back to the first Rusty 2handed sword i pried from the cold dead hands of a Goblin in Misty Thicket, all the way to weapons from the current expansion. 18 years of blades/halberds/lances/spears etc.

If we do have to sacrifice items with a  sentimental value  I'd hope we can get a statless shadow version or some such thing, that we can keep to use around town for the look, or just keep in the bank to look at.

Statless, so i dont see that being a point of contention, though i am sure someone is going to argue against it.

I kept all the weapons that I had either crafted or attained through epic questing and/or raiding too Sunmistress. I suppose that for a good long term buff I'd consider cashing an item in, but I agree that I'd rather display them in my house. Housing may not be a top priority to me in this game though. I'm considering a different play style than my usual. Not certain just yet. When I get a weapon I truly like, one with a good back story, I'd rather be able to upgrade it and keep it. Maybe meld new weapons into it through some arcane crafting ability.

But to get back to the OP, a sacrifice for a good buff might be ok too.

• 2886 posts
    June 10, 2017 4:31 PM PDT

Iksar said:

Are there even deities for all the races in this game? They are all from very different planets and as far as I can tell some of them (Gnome in particular) don't seem to have any religious beliefs. 

As far as I know, the Gnomes are the only one without a deity. However, I wouldn't be too surprised if they have one and it just hasn't been mentioned yet. 

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5407/homes-and-gods-of-the-races

It is my understanding that a lot of the races just have decreased connection with their deities due to the Dragon Accord. But I would expect some of the mysteries of the Dragon Accord to be revealed as we go. I gotta think they'll be able to provide some sort of good explanation as to WHY we are sacrificing these items.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at June 10, 2017 4:35 PM PDT
    • 168 posts
    June 10, 2017 5:18 PM PDT

I think this is a great idea, but I also foresee a lot of issues that might arise within a pick-up-group. Assuming items give you buffs/whatever based on their quality, it is very plausible that people could snipe items that group members could really use just so they could later turn them into a sweet buff for 30 minutes.

Furthermore, the sacrificing would have to be something made portable as we all know it could take 2 hours to find a group and 30 minutes to an hour to GET TO the group. This limits both the locations the players that use the buffs could hunt while under the effects, and controls the gathering points of people to whereever these alters are located (probably few and far between for the same religion). So, maybe an idol or relic from your religion (or technology if you are gnome) could be carried with you to activate the sacrifice menu.

Of course you could always put something like deminishing returns on the buff or duration for those of us who enjoy non-stop bliss at the sacrifice of our coin purses. 

Lastly, I think it would be cool to have the user interact with the lore of that religion/race to affect the quality of the enhancement (0%-100%) by say... answering questions about it? What say you?

This post was edited by Kargen at June 10, 2017 5:21 PM PDT
    • 279 posts
    June 11, 2017 12:15 AM PDT

Klumpedge said:

Sunmistress said:

I kept all the weapons that I had either crafted or attained through epic questing and/or raiding too Sunmistress. I suppose that for a good long term buff I'd consider cashing an item in, but I agree that I'd rather display them in my house. Housing may not be a top priority to me in this game though. I'm considering a different play style than my usual. Not certain just yet. When I get a weapon I truly like, one with a good back story, I'd rather be able to upgrade it and keep it. Maybe meld new weapons into it through some arcane crafting ability.

But to get back to the OP, a sacrifice for a good buff might be ok too.

I was mainly trying to mention it, because i know its not really a big deal to some folks, maybe even alot of folks. But for those of us who that stuff matters to, parting with an item without anything beyond a temporary buff to show for the sacrifice is heart wrenching.

A little piece of my characters history is locked in every weapon, every piece of armor, sometimes those stories are far more epic than the item itself. Hell even if there isn't housing for a time, i'd still like to be able to keep atleast something to remember my key items by even if optimizing my character requires me to seek out those buffs.

I still carry my Fiery Defender and Nightbane (epic 1.0 and 2.0 for Paladins in EQ) in the Top 2 slots of my bags, The Blade of Forgotten Faith i got the first time i soloed Ture (gamewide first for a solo of him IIRC).

But i am probably a Hoarder in game when it comes to weapons like i mentioned earlier, so maybe i am making a mountain of a molehill. Though if its possible at all to have something beyond just the buff, even if statless Id very much like to push that option being available.

• 1281 posts
    June 11, 2017 4:43 PM PDT

I think a "tribute" system will probably hit Pantheon eventually since the devs have mentioned it a few times. It made its way into EQ. I just don't see people tributing good items though. I highly doubt there will be game mechanics good enough that will make tributing a good item worth it. The reward would have to be a chance of a really nice no-drop item or something.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at June 11, 2017 4:43 PM PDT
    • 137 posts
    June 11, 2017 4:50 PM PDT

Sunmistress said:

I want to see that house

• 2886 posts
    June 11, 2017 6:30 PM PDT

Sunmistress said:

I see absolutely no reason to believe that we will be required to sacrifice any item. In fact, the devs have made it very clear that they are designing items to be cherished and have a sentimental value because of the work you put into acquiring them. The main point of the item sacrifices is to encourage you to take items out of circulation that you don't want anymore, rather than passing them on to someone of a lower level. And you're not even required to do that! So from what I can tell, if you wanna hold onto that item that you've outgrown, (but still means a lot to you) you're more than welcome to keep it. I don't think it's gonna be that big of a deal.

• 763 posts
    June 12, 2017 5:49 AM PDT

Some interesting points to consider ....

1. Item Sacrifice (via NPC.)

Done to give a 'moderately long term buff' for players/items with low attachment value. Not 'essential' by any means, but a very useful buff.
    Acts as a way to remove cash from the system (reduces MUD-flation)

2. Item Mounting (via PC Crafter.)

Done to convert item into 'wall/case mountable' item to put in Houses (when available).
    Acts as a way to remove cash from the system (reduces MUD-flation)
    Potentially reversible (take Grand-Pa's 2-Hander off the wall and hand it down to your progeny) via Crafter.

Evoras, worries 'A Broom' is going to be essential Summoner gear!

• 513 posts
    June 12, 2017 8:08 AM PDT

While I like the mechanic and used it SO much in EQ2 (heh, I even have a chapel that I built in one of my homes - to Karana) - I don't know if that is what we want here.  I get the feeling that what Terminus is, is where gods go to "die".  Or least that lose their ascendency and become "mortal" - even being mortal means they live for hundreads of years etc. - they are no logner gods.  An intriguing story.  I hope to find more.  I think we could easily make this mechinic work with a different lore even they they said Temple Sacrifices etc.  Gods come to Terminus and diminish.  But they bring their chosen with them.  Love this story...

• 29 posts
    June 12, 2017 1:39 PM PDT

I like the idea of making a copy of the weapon only for personal use or at least some way to mod another device with the skin and stats.

I agree that the timing of sacrificing an item is key.  Maybe it should be made into a potion or some type of "use when ready" item.

• 1468 posts
    June 12, 2017 6:52 PM PDT

Raidan said:

EQ had this in later expansions as a tribute, where you would turn in items for tribute points which could then be used for temporary buffs.  I'm not really for or aganist the system, it is a way to get items out of the economy, but I'd not want to see the buffs start encroaching on the utility that classes can offer.

I was going to mention this. I used to farm old world zones with my high level necro just to get items from nameds I could easily solo just to hand in for tribute. After about 5 hours of farming I'd have enough tribute to last me for over a month of game play. Veksar was a great zone for this for farming items for tribute because there were so many named mobs and people hardly ever went there so I had the whole zone to myself.