Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Pros and Cons of becoming a Lorekeeper

• 168 posts
    June 6, 2017 8:01 AM PDT

Hey guys!

During the streams the devs talk extensively what the perception system is and they said everyone will have the option of becoming a Lorekeeper or not. However, all that was discussed was possibilities that are open to you if you do become a Lorekeeper. There are still so many questions...

What are the negatives of becoming a Lorekeeper?

Why might not being a Lorekeeper be better?

Would we scritly be missing out on something if we chose not be a Lorekeeper, or do you have to give something up to become one?

I personally am not a huge fan of quests and enjoy just wandering the world and exploring dungeons and such, but from the streams I feel I would be punished if I did not actively participate in Lorekeeping. 

Any thoughts?

This post was edited by Kargen at June 6, 2017 8:02 AM PDT
    • 279 posts
    June 6, 2017 8:11 AM PDT

It sounds like there will be more than 1 path of lorekeeper/perception as well (there was mention of being able to recognize mob disposition with 1 style of perception? I thought)

I am guessing that once they reveal more info these questions will have answers come more into focus.

But I'll throw out a thought.

What if being a lorekeeper locked out being able to be a crafter? Depending on how both systems work that could make for quite a choice on your main.

The lorekeeper path IMO should have some kind of negatives, so that those who choose it are missing out on something those who do not choose to do are not missing out on. It should be a choice you have to weigh your options heavily on, IMO.

Otherwise like you are alluding to it becomes a pretty much no brainer choice that would be foolish not to make.

• 2886 posts
    June 6, 2017 8:13 AM PDT
    • 168 posts
    June 6, 2017 8:25 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

See https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5946/is-being-a-keeper-really-optional/view/page/1

Wonderful Bazgrim! apparently people are calling it Keeping and not Lorekeeping... not wonder I couldn't find anything on lorekeepers on the forums...

• 62 posts
    June 6, 2017 10:14 AM PDT

People are calling it that, because that's actually the terminology the Devs themselves are currently using. Obviously it's all subject to change.

The following is copy/pasted directly from the FAQ under Quests:

Through the Perception System, players can become a Keeper and quest dialogue is recorded in your Tome of Keeping. Keepers can utilize two skills to progress through the Perception System: a passive skill called Insight, and an active skill called Investigate. Once you’ve completed a Perception Quest, you won’t be bothered by the dialogue in the future. Hints and keywords are given to help direct players, no specific instructions will be given.

This post was edited by Mandalorian2K at June 6, 2017 10:16 AM PDT
    • 319 posts
    June 6, 2017 12:03 PM PDT

Kargen

What makes this game so great is that you can become whatever you want and do not have to follow a linear path. If you do not want to be a keeper then don't. Be yourself and whatever you choose.

As for me I think a keeper sounds awesome.

• 208 posts
    June 6, 2017 1:36 PM PDT

I like the Keeper concept as well I just hope that they do not limit the Investigate/Perception system to just noncambat.  I hope that the Perception system plays a role in combat as well like giving a player an oportunity to do a critical hit or do a multimove combo or even finding out a certain weakness or flaw that a mob has.

• 160 posts
    June 7, 2017 3:50 AM PDT

I can't wait to start Keeping!

While Yo-yo hubs are incredibly annoying, I am hoping for a good journal of some kind.  At least some way to track progress.

• 46 posts
    June 7, 2017 4:39 AM PDT

Sogotp said:

I hope that the Perception system plays a role in combat as well 

I think they said in the livestreams that the perception system was important to seeing NPC dispositions, which will be important in combat.

• 1303 posts
    June 7, 2017 9:11 AM PDT

Kargen said:

Hey guys!

During the streams the devs talk extensively what the perception system is and they said everyone will have the option of becoming a Lorekeeper or not. However, all that was discussed was possibilities that are open to you if you do become a Lorekeeper. There are still so many questions...

What are the negatives of becoming a Lorekeeper?

Why might not being a Lorekeeper be better?

Would we scritly be missing out on something if we chose not be a Lorekeeper, or do you have to give something up to become one?

I personally am not a huge fan of quests and enjoy just wandering the world and exploring dungeons and such, but from the streams I feel I would be punished if I did not actively participate in Lorekeeping. 

Any thoughts?

Are you actively "punished" if you do not seek out the higher level ranks of spells? 

Are you actively "punished" if you do not attempt to complete epic weapon quests? 

Are you actively "punished" if you don't pursue a crafting skill? 

This list could go on indefinately. I don't really believe your use of the word "punished" is fair. 

This post was edited by Feyshtey at June 7, 2017 9:11 AM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    June 7, 2017 10:10 AM PDT
    Pro:
    One step closer to becoming the ultimate Bard.

Con:
    What Cons....... you are a Bard?
    • 160 posts
    June 7, 2017 6:45 PM PDT

Amsai said: Pro: One step closer to becoming the ultimate Bard. Con: What Cons....... you are a Bard?

So much this.....