Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Hmm, what should I wear?

• 168 posts
    June 6, 2017 7:04 PM PDT

Any Shards of Dalaya vets in the house? remember those wonderful cloth pants that could be requiped on your head? best idea ever!

• 42 posts
    June 7, 2017 10:23 AM PDT

Warm Palette of purples, reds and dusky pinks,Fall Color Palette ,medium brown, auburn, and chestnut .Summer Color Palette,gray-green, gray-blue,beige or tan.Spring Color Palette ,turquoise and royal blue,coral and strawberry, hazel and topaz to olive and golden brown(and to have a slider to make it darker or lighter colors too)And then all the Holiday colors as well.I would love my armor not to look like a man when I put it on.

• 5 posts
    June 8, 2017 7:50 PM PDT

When I try to dream up an epic set of equipment I think of something that tells a story about the wearer.

Intricate gothic plate armor is cool, but I find a heroic pre-plate knight look more whimsical, and (obviously) more prone to being laden with fey enchantments. So, my warrior or paladin would use a plain chain coif and coat with a brightly-coloured tabard and billowing cape. Don't forget a strong shield with an intricately painted personal design. It's hard to beat the classics.

For a monk: shabby but sturdy eastern cloth garb in bright shades, a bandana or headband, and lots of dazzling trinkets and accessories that look like they come from different parts of the world. Souvenirs, not signs of wealth. Bracelets, medallions, idols, stuff made mostly out of bronze and jade. Wooden sandals.

An outfit for a magic user would also incorporate metal, but not real armor. Instead, eccentric pieces that look like they have some alchemical or magical properties. They might have a scale vest, but instead of sturdy iron it's made of thin silver plates and polished to a mirror-like sheen. Or they might have a heavy enclosed helmet, but it's crafted to resemble the visage of a beast or demon or somesuch. Anything that's not plain robes, really.

• 160 posts
    June 8, 2017 9:04 PM PDT

Ogre in a gold lame thong says it all.

• 30 posts
    June 9, 2017 10:37 PM PDT

Over the top armor and gear makes a game ridiculous, unless the character is some how a secluded villian in a cave clan or hidden realm as there places of return.

• 2130 posts
    June 10, 2017 7:47 AM PDT

I've already replied once here but there's something I'd like to say with regards to my previous post.

Rubicite is easily one of the most iconic armor sets in EQ, with maybe Lambent coming second. Bronze and Mithril are certainly honorable mentions. However, would it be incorrect to say that a significant portion of how iconic these sets are is due to the fact that they are sets?

I feel like a character wearing a rainbow set of gear is pretty disgusting to look at, regardless of how capable a player is of identifying what they're wearing by name.

All I know is that whatever my character wears, I certainly hope that it's a cohesive look. Green pants with a red breastplate is great if I'm trying to roleplay a Christmas elf, but that's not really my cup of tea.

• 3237 posts
    June 10, 2017 7:50 AM PDT

Personally I hope that there is no option available to dye gear.  Obtaining a full set of rubicite just wouldn't feel the same if you could patch in a few pieces of bronze or steel and dye them red.

This post was edited by oneADseven at June 10, 2017 7:50 AM PDT
    • 2130 posts
    June 10, 2017 8:07 AM PDT

oneADseven said:

Personally I hope that there is no option available to dye gear.  Obtaining a full set of rubicite just wouldn't feel the same if you could patch in a few pieces of bronze or steel and dye them red.

I agree about dye, but only if we get appearance gear. The inverse is also true. Just how I feel, anyway.

• 2886 posts
    June 10, 2017 11:40 AM PDT

oneADseven said:

I agree with the sentiment, but remember it doesn't necessarily have to be that way. The armor model design in EQ is incredibly simple. For the most part, ALL heavy armor worn by a particular race looked exactly the same, except for tints. IF there are tints, to preserve one's ability to recognize certain important armor by appearance, all they have to do is just have to give the items unique models. Like putting spikes on the shoulders or something. Ideally, there would be lots of different models. (And I think that's what VR is shooting for) That way, even if it's tinted, the outline is still different. EQ's super basic reusable armor models are best left in the past. :)

This post was edited by Bazgrim at June 10, 2017 11:41 AM PDT
    • 10 posts
    June 14, 2017 11:16 PM PDT

Since I'm still thinking rogue, I'm thinking a nice set of leather armor, not necessarily black, but inconspicuous, nice boots and gloves, a cloak, maybe a hood. I'm hoping for quality armor graphics with a lot of detail, without ridiculous looking items.

I actually liked a lot of the EQ armor, though it was very simple. I liked the female Dark Elf plate and chain armor (new graphics, plate also the old graphics). High Elf leather was... interesting. Some of the other sets were nice too.

I can (and do) still play my EQ characters and actually like their appearance - more than some of the ridiculously overblown items in other MMOs, but higher quality, more detailed armor would still be nice of course.

It's a fantasy game, everything doesn't have to look like something that actually existed in the middle ages. And addding things like buckles, studs, spikes, etc, fine. Good, in fact. Having a 3 foot battleship on my shoulders - not fine.

• 110 posts
    June 16, 2017 9:13 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

As a Cleric, I want my armor to resemble that of an angel. I keep being drawn to combinations of gold, silver, and purple:

Image result for angel armor

This second one you posted is what I like.  This is ideally how I'd see a cleric as well.

This post was edited by Evorus at June 16, 2017 9:14 AM PDT
    • 108 posts
    June 17, 2017 4:51 PM PDT

I would really like to see layers of armor a more realistic aproach.

My ranger would wear a cloth Liene croich dyed forest green. Over which he would wear an Aketon (A leather or fabric coat stuffed with wool and stitched into vertical quilts) Saphron in color if fabric otheriwise of leather. The Aketon would extend to just before the elbow and just above the knee. Over the Aketon would be a chain byrnie (shirt). The mail would extend an inch above the aketon at the knee and elbow. Thus one would see a mail coat wearing ranger with a quilted tunic (Aketon extending about a inch beyond the chain coat. extending beyond the aketon a wide sleeved shirit of forest green great for hiding a unseen weapon. dependent on the temperature he would be bare legged or his Liene would extend beyond the knees.

Upon the rangers head he would be wearing a Spectacled Spangenhelm with metal cheek flaps and a partial aventail protecting the neck. Upon his feet sturdy leather boots trimed with fur. Upon his back a sturdy bearskin cloak with the bears head over his left shoulder.

The color of the chain and helm would be blue-black in color due to the process of bluing which helps prevent the metal from rusting.

• 116 posts
    June 19, 2017 10:01 AM PDT

I've been wanting an overcoat like this for years.

http://www.wtfcomics.com/wtfwallpaper1.jpg

SWTOR came close to the look with the jedi plate armor.

• 25 posts
    June 19, 2017 1:52 PM PDT

First of all, I really enjoyed dyes in EQ.  It was a good tradeskill for a rogue and a good way to make money.  I hope Pantheon has something similar.

Second - how about some kind of toggle on a piece of gear to give you different looks.  Perhaps when you first loot/equip it, you choose whether the item is a robe or a shirt (for a caster item).  This could be a permanent or temporary change.  If you're worried about the realistic aspect of this idea, you could make the changes more subtle - do I roll up my sleeves or not?  In the instance of the robe/shirt - do I tuck my robe into my leggings or let it flow? Just some type of way so that a piece of gear doesn't have to look identical when you are wearing it.