Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Looping in-game Music

• 432 posts
    June 4, 2017 8:16 PM PDT

Hello all,

What are you opinions on music looping vs not looping? In Original everquest the music would not constantly play, there were periods of silence where one could enjoy the environmental noises. While I want to enjoy that same feeling in Pantheon, I also would like there to be an option to continually loop music if one should want that.

-Todd

• 26 posts
    June 4, 2017 8:48 PM PDT
    Most mmo's I've played has that option and I don't see any reason for it not to be included in the audio settings. I personally don't loop the music cause I find it gets tiring after awhile. An in game music player would be cool for convenience.
    • 29 posts
    June 5, 2017 4:02 AM PDT

At the very minimal, most mmos have that ability to turn off music and just have the ambient sounds up.  Pantheon shouldn't be any different.

• 4 posts
    June 5, 2017 6:30 AM PDT
    I like both looping music and environmental. As long as it has decent length to it. I was in castle mistmoore the other day and it had a loop that was only about 10 second long and too loud. I had to turn it off.
    • 3237 posts
    June 5, 2017 6:51 AM PDT

I kind of prefer that the music and ambient sounds be controlled to some degree by the server.  Certain songs or effects should only trigger after you pass through a specific threshold, engage a nasty beast, it gets dark outside, someone or something dies, etc.  I have no issue with allowing players to customize their settings though.  I would probably use it myself but more than anything I am looking forward to the gameside choreography and observing the natural flow of how sound was intended.

• 1281 posts
    June 5, 2017 7:50 AM PDT

I'm all for an improved ambient audio experience. I like how well crafted the EQ audio was. Certain area's would trigger a matching music to set specific moods. It was really well done. Jay Barbeau did a great job. I can't believe he hasn't had more work. Would be awesome to have him work on Pantheon!

This post was edited by bigdogchris at June 5, 2017 7:51 AM PDT
    • 3237 posts
    June 5, 2017 8:08 AM PDT

Jay has been contacted by many Pantheon followers.  I agree, would be awesome to have him involved in any capacity.

• 66 posts
    June 5, 2017 10:39 AM PDT

I wouldn't mind it to be an option to loop in the menu. 

Usually I just mute the music in games so it wouldn't make much difference to me.

• 1 posts
    June 5, 2017 12:33 PM PDT

The first thing I do in any new game, even before changing my keybinds, is turn the music off.  I like a full immersion and music is usually at least distracting, often anoying, and sometines it even obscures important sound effects that give hints as to what's happening around you (enemy spell casting, footsteps, etc.)  So I don'y really care if it loops or not, so long as I can turn it off.

• 294 posts
    June 5, 2017 2:17 PM PDT

I love the moments during voice chat when you hear another players music turned way up. Yes, I know it can be annoying, but it always makes me smile.

A looping option is interesting. For me personally it isn't needed. I just go with the flow and agree with the OP that those times of silence where you can take in the ambient sounds of the environment are pleasing.

I like a little of both worlds I guess. I will say that music is important to me. A good or bad sound track can make or break a game for me.

• 1281 posts
    June 6, 2017 7:23 AM PDT

oneADseven said:

Jay has been contacted by many Pantheon followers.  I agree, would be awesome to have him involved in any capacity.

That would be great, but I'm sure he's moved on to other things and probably wouldn't be interested. Too bad.

• 2886 posts
    June 6, 2017 8:09 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

oneADseven said:

That would be great, but I'm sure he's moved on to other things and probably wouldn't be interested. Too bad.

Yeah unfortunately it looks like his hands are pretty full now. It looks like he's making some interactive 3D music software called "Musycal": www.musycal3d.com 

Interestingly enough, I also think he's helping develop some software for a fire fighting flight simulator for the US Forest Service. He's a talented guy and that comes with being in high demand. But that doesn't mean Pantheon can't have music that's equally or even more epic. The handful of tracks that we have heard already gives me goosebumps.

• 294 posts
    June 6, 2017 5:05 PM PDT

I agree Bazgrim. The music tracks that have been revealed thus far are awesome.

• 159 posts
    June 7, 2017 5:29 AM PDT

tehtawd said:

Hello all,

What are you opinions on music looping vs not looping? In Original everquest the music would not constantly play, there were periods of silence where one could enjoy the environmental noises. While I want to enjoy that same feeling in Pantheon, I also would like there to be an option to continually loop music if one should want that.

-Todd

I, for one, enjoy having music playing along with environmental sounds. However, some games have done it terribly, with 1-2 minute loops repeating endlessly to the point where it becomes annoying. A few things that can help with this:

- Large-ish looping tracks (5-10 mins long) to reduce the number of loops; it shouldn't be too difficult to have a central theme and a couple of variations to make tracks a bit longer.

- Wide variety of different tracks with contextual cues to switch from one to the other, e.g. when zoning, entering a city, moving into a different terrain such as from open grassland to a woodland, initiating or ending combat, etc.

- Options. Allow music to be turned on/off and its volume controlled independently of ambient sounds/SFX.

Some of the game soundracks I remember most fondly were from the single-player Ultima games. Although tracks were relatively short, the variety of tracks and the frequency of track switching made up for that shortcoming, and other than that they were pretty good compositions that helped set the mood in different parts of the games.

Epic moment: the ending of Ultima VI, when you hear Rule Britannia (Lord British's theme) and Audchar Gargl Zenmur (the gargoyles' theme) played simultaneously and realize that they were complementary tracks all along.

• 454 posts
    July 24, 2017 6:43 PM PDT

I am the odd man out here.  I only have music on if I'm in an Tavern or some such place.  Never in game.  A few exceptions in EQ1 in Hate where there were organs I'd turn it on.  Otherwise I'm listening for environmental sounds.

• 1404 posts
    July 24, 2017 8:53 PM PDT

Questaar said:

I am the odd man out here.  I only have music on if I'm in an Tavern or some such place.  Never in game.  A few exceptions in EQ1 in Hate where there were organs I'd turn it on.  Otherwise I'm listening for environmental sounds.

I adjust the volumes so the music is on, but oh so faint in the background... ambience I think would be the word. And turn UP the environment sounds.

• 258 posts
    July 30, 2017 11:32 AM PDT

I typically enjoy the music in games as long as it matches the mood. Like different music plays at night / day or when it's raining, etc... I was always a huge fan of Nobuo Uematsu's early work on the Final Fantasy series (II, III - VI). Sometimes when I'm working or reading and want to set a certain mood, I'll put on his music from Final Fantasy. A good example is The Gestahl Empire. Even the Prelude seems magical everytime I hear it even though I've heard it a million times already. And I honestly feel like the music played a significant part in making Final Fantasy so immersive and successful.

So, it's my opinion that as long as the music soundtracks are a little on the longer side (like, 1:30+ minutes each), and they are done well, I would be perfectly happy with having them loop. But if they're looping every 20 sec like the music of a cheap Halloween horror house, I probably would opt to turn it off or just turn down my game music.