Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Dungeons & Dragons.

• 56 posts
    May 26, 2017 6:20 PM PDT

Pantheon fans! 

I got into fantasy RPG because of D&D. Back in the day spending weekends playing Dungeons and Dragons was always a treasure. I look back at that time with great happiness. 

By the time the year came to a close, I knew everyone on my block after playing those classic modules like Keep On the Borderlands. My neighbors would come to my house to group together and then I would go to their homes to continue a new Dungen Master designed adventure! 

I was fortunate to have played with very creative Dungeon Masters in the past. 

EQ continued this tradition for me. Always felt Everquest was like playing D&D with others which eventually created relationships!

I hope continue that tradition of playing with others in Pantheon leading to long-lasting friendships.  

Attached are images from my D&D collection.  

Hopefully, this brings back some nostalgic moments for you as well! Enjoy! 

I love horses! 

This post was edited by Ator at May 27, 2017 1:32 AM PDT
    • 3237 posts
    May 26, 2017 6:48 PM PDT

I was 5 the first time I saw this stuff in my parents attic.  Thanks for sharing!

• 9115 posts
    May 26, 2017 9:15 PM PDT

Nice Ator! Thanks for sharing my friend :)

• 624 posts
    May 27, 2017 4:01 AM PDT

Those pictures definitely bring back many happy memories of past adventures Ator.  DnD - as a shared story telling experience with creative friends - remains a great way to spend some free time.

• 104 posts
    May 27, 2017 6:19 AM PDT

I love D&D! Happily, I have a pretty captive audience of a wife and 2 teens so I'm always GMing something for them. We're currently working our way through the Tales from theYawning Portal.

• 595 posts
    May 27, 2017 8:57 AM PDT

Wow, what a collection!  That is so cool!

My play group and I just recently finished "Hoard of the Dragon Queen" and are beginning the continuation tomorrow, "The Rise of Tiamat".  Looking forward to it :D

• 2886 posts
    May 27, 2017 9:04 AM PDT

Sweet! I love seeing peoples' collections haha

• 208 posts
    May 27, 2017 10:17 AM PDT

Funny you should bring this up.  I am starting a session tonight with my 10 year old daughter, my wife, the babysitter/friend of the family, and our 7 year old son.  None of them have done an RPG before and I am hoping that they will enjoy it until Pantheon is released and then I hope that they will be hooked enough to play RotF as a family group :)  I was 4 or 5 when I sarted playing D&D with my older brother and our oldest cousin.  I started playing AD&D when I was in 6th grade with a group of friends from school and it was a blast we played monthly for 7 yeras and then we all went our separate ways.  I am starting tonights session with the red boxed basic set from 1983.  I have access to all the boxed sets from intro/basic to level 15ish.  I am hoping that by the time they get to level 8ish they will be knowledgeable and interested enough to play one of the Advanced versions to really show them what the world of Pantheon will be like :)

• 595 posts
    May 27, 2017 12:43 PM PDT

Sogotp said:

Funny you should bring this up.  I am starting a session tonight with my 10 year old daughter, my wife, the babysitter/friend of the family, and our 7 year old son.  None of them have done an RPG before and I am hoping that they will enjoy it until Pantheon is released and then I hope that they will be hooked enough to play RotF as a family group :)  I was 4 or 5 when I sarted playing D&D with my older brother and our oldest cousin.  I started playing AD&D when I was in 6th grade with a group of friends from school and it was a blast we played monthly for 7 yeras and then we all went our separate ways.  I am starting tonights session with the red boxed basic set from 1983.  I have access to all the boxed sets from intro/basic to level 15ish.  I am hoping that by the time they get to level 8ish they will be knowledgeable and interested enough to play one of the Advanced versions to really show them what the world of Pantheon will be like :)

Man that is really awesome.  I wish I had started playing D&D much sooner.  One of my best friends had three older brothers (quite a bit older in fact, the next youngest was 8 years older) who used to have regular play sessions.  Sadly, by the time he and I were really interested two of them were married (working on families) and one was in the military, while he and I were ~12 years old with no one to play with.

As it stands, I'm grateful that I now have a solid play group which includes my wife and brother and some close friends.  And though I wish I would have started as a child, the hours we have spent RPing together have been rewarding beyond measure. 

• 1778 posts
    May 27, 2017 12:57 PM PDT

@Ator

Very nice man! Thanks for sharing.

• 6 posts
    May 28, 2017 8:10 AM PDT

Ah, The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. I still have nightmares...

• 29 posts
    May 31, 2017 2:05 PM PDT

Awesome memories with those.  Thanks for sharing.

• 208 posts
    June 4, 2017 6:24 PM PDT

Just a quick follow up here, the newbies had a blast at their first session and they insisted that they continue the session the next night.  We did and we got all the way through the adventure in the Dm manual from the red boxed set.  My daughter was talking to a friend of hers and he wanted to join us on the second night so he joined us as well and had a blast.  The next session is setup for this coming Saturday night and I suspect it will last until 11ish or so.  I am in the process of fleshing out the next level with monsters and room description and the like.  I am sure I will have that ready by Saturday night :) 

For those that have been a Dm before, I am having a bit of problem with wondering monsters. What kind of monsters, how often, and most importantly would a keep ever have a blacksmith/bakery on the 1st sub-basement since there was no room/description of them in the adventure so far.  I am thinking of using the 3 or 4 large rooms of this level as the Bakery/kitchen, the Smithery/Armory and the Butcher/processing room and then having another large room in another area be the lair of a large terrifing monster.  I am just wondering if the sub-basement would have fires and chimneys and such in it?  I have figure out that one lair will have a large group of kobolds so that means there will be some wondering kobolds but I don't knwo what else to use.  I am thinking snakes, centipedes, snails, beetles, grubs and the like.  They have already encountered a carrion crawler but I don't know if I want to put another one of those in the monster list.  So what do y'all think?

• 56 posts
    June 4, 2017 8:10 PM PDT

OneADseven, Kilsin, Kumu, Aena, Nikademis, Bazgrim, Sogotp, Amsai, Notja, dylarian. Thank you! 

• 56 posts
    June 4, 2017 8:15 PM PDT

Sogotp,

Nice to hear your family is enjoying D&D! 

Monster-wise, I'd consider Troglodytes since they are around Kobolds.

Also, perhaps, consider rust monster, scorpian, and purpule worm.  

Sure others might have other suggestions. 

• 208 posts
    June 26, 2017 8:49 PM PDT

Another update for everyone.  Everyone but the son loves paying D&D.  I had to show them that there are conseqeunces in the world so I killed my dwarf that was the only tank for the group.  Now they will have to figure out what to do :)  Besides it was getting difficult to be both a player and the Dm.  Now I can focus solely on the Dm since they all have an idea of how to game/roleplay.  Time for the next boxed set!!  They are speeding through the first 3 levels much faster than I anticipated..  We are meeting every two weeks except for this up coming holiday and they are ALL excited and enthusiastic about the sessions :)  Got soem more gamers for the world now folks....

• 56 posts
    July 1, 2017 1:07 PM PDT

Sogotop, 

Thats just awesome! If we lived closer I would  join you. Can't find a good DM and party around here.

• 190 posts
    July 1, 2017 4:17 PM PDT

Ator... I knew an Ator once long ago when I was able to LARP.  :)  Good man/character.  I think a lot of us have some form of D&D to thank for our love of fantasy and adventure.  Your collection is impressive and I am sorry you can't find anyone nearby to share in your love of adventure and imagination.

WN

• 56 posts
    July 3, 2017 6:26 AM PDT

Thanks much Wildenightwolf. Hopefully Pantheon will resolve LARP for me in some way. 

This post was edited by Ator at July 4, 2017 9:18 AM PDT