Forums » The Bard

Informal Bard Poll

• 543 posts
    February 4, 2018 12:33 AM PST

Bazgrim said ->

An oblivious man in tight pants singing and dancing through the forest at night.

Add a feathered cap and your vision is perfect. 

• 20 posts
    February 14, 2018 3:01 PM PST

Ok, so I had a thought. Some of us say Bards should be a support/healer, others say off-tank/puller type...Would it be possible to have the Dark Myr, Dwarf, Archai Bards have a more "tankish" build and skill set along with songs? While an Elven, Halfling, and humans have more of a support role? Just a thought, I don't know how in all actuality that would work but it would give the player the option since this class has such a diverse skill set. 

Below is a quote from the class and race combination. 

• Dark Myr Bards?

•      The Bard’s abilities aren’t limited to just buffing and uplifting their allies. Some of their songs will also demoralize foes, or manifest sonic based attacks. The Dark Myr definitely fit this side of the bard more so than most of the other “civilized” races.

• 20 posts
    February 14, 2018 3:45 PM PST

Lincoln said:

Ok, so I had a thought. Some of us say Bards should be a support/healer, others say off-tank/puller type...Would it be possible to have the Dark Myr, Dwarf, Archai Bards have a more "tankish" build and skill set along with songs? While an Elven, Halfling, and humans have more of a support role? Just a thought, I don't know how in all actuality that would work but it would give the player the option since this class has such a diverse skill set. 

Below is a quote from the class and race combination. 

• Dark Myr Bards?

•      The Bard’s abilities aren’t limited to just buffing and uplifting their allies. Some of their songs will also demoralize foes, or manifest sonic based attacks. The Dark Myr definitely fit this side of the bard more so than most of the other “civilized” races.

Just my opinion, but I don't like class restrictions based on race. Removes choice and locks in a stereotype that I'd prefer not to have to deal with. I don't want to have to look at the race I'm looking to fill in my group/raid as well as the class. Prefer all the classes have the same opportunity to play the role that class is designed to fill. Also presents more balancing challenges that are always a headache without adding race combos to alternative class builds.

• 708 posts
    February 15, 2018 9:43 AM PST

I like the idea Lincoln but I kind of agree with Diableri. In EQ2 they have something similar to this idea where there are basically 2 classes of bards, the troubador and the dirge. Troub is the 'uplifting' support the group type bard where the dirge is more of the 'sorrowful' debilitate your foes type bard. But rather than split them up by race they simply just have 2 subsets of the bard, or in other words 2 bard classes.

I love the bard class as everyone is probably tired of hearing by now lol. But it also makes me tend to be, I don't know, selfish and greedy when it comes to em? I'm a very competitive person so when I play these games I love to know how I stack up against the other bards. And it's hard to do that when you got some pseudo-bard with different skills/abilties next to you. I guess imo it oversaturates the field.

• 99 posts
    February 22, 2018 2:51 PM PST

Kumu said:

Bazgrim said ->

An oblivious man in tight pants singing and dancing through the forest at night.

Add a feathered cap and your vision is perfect. 

Wait, Dwarves can be bards...........  *Pictures "An oblivious dwarf in tight pants singing and dancing through the forest at night."*

**shudder**

And I keep coming back to this thread why??

Oh yeah; looking for some singing buddies to keep me alive!  =^P

Serouisly, still wanting Bards to be the very strong support/utility member(s) of my group.

• 1982 posts
    February 22, 2018 4:43 PM PST

A lot of people coming through these parts lately it seems that want to break each class into multiple roles. 

• 20 posts
    February 22, 2018 6:37 PM PST
    Never played EQ 2 I might just give it a try to see how the bard works. I agree that splitting the bard into two groups would really mess with the game.
    • 33 posts
    May 4, 2018 5:55 PM PDT
    • Group Utility (haste, atk, AC, mob debuffs, snaes etc)
    • Pull/CC (calm, lull, mez, hit&run)
    • Flexibility (Jack of all trades, master of none)

I want to b able to DPS, but it'll never be as good as a monk or rogue

I want to CC, heal and semi caster-y things, but I won't be able as well as a pure caster.

While there may be other classes who can do what I do better... they can't do ALL of them as well as I can ;)

• 5 posts
    May 22, 2018 2:15 PM PDT

Wow, there sure are alot of posts in this thread suggesting Bards should be support only and left behind the group to "just play songs" and buff the group. Doubt if any one of them would even consider playing a bard if that was the role they would be relegated to! How BORING would that be!? Bard is THE jack of ALL trades and master of none. While the bard should be the king of support classes, he should be able to make short work of your average mob as well. I want to kill internet monsters too! Taking away dps abilities would just create a vacuum, with players unwilling to play the class! I played a bard in Vanguard SOH from 2007 till sunset, with a few breaks from the game in between. Some of the best buffs/debuffs were from mele abilities, "Razor parts silk" 15% damge mitigation debuff, "Singing blade" 100% crit for the whole group. "Humming bird darts" and "Gamael's blades of frost" were arcane and cold debuffs from mele abilities as well. Sure you can argue that those abilities can just be put in songs too, but again, that would just suck the fun out of playing the class. So yeah, the bard should be first and foremost support for the group, but should also be a mele class, behind ranger/rogue/monk in dps. the bard should also have good out of combat regen abilities for the group. Also, the bard should have some minor CC abilities, not as good as an Enchater/Psi, but still able to use on most mobs. Lastly, and I am saying this from a selfish perspective, the bard should be FAST! I mean Wayyy past ludicrous speed! I want to go plaid! One of the great  many memories I have from Vanguard SoH is from when the game was first released. The first character I rolled was a Dread Knight which I played up till level 10. I ran all the way around the island of Kojan on foot to get to Ca'ial Brael, which at the time was the only place you could purchase a horse. After spending all that time leveling, yeah it took a bit of time to get to level 10 back then, and having to borrow a few silver to buy a horse, I made my way to the horse vendor. After purchasing my horse and quik slotting it on my hotbar, I mounted up to enjoy my new FASTER mode of transportating. Well my excitment lasted about 30 seconds and was then shattered by some little half elf passing me on foot. I never did catch that guys name he was moving so fast! I parked the Dread Knight in Ca'ial Brael, rolled a Bard and never looked back!

1: Group Support buffs/debuffs

2: Out of combat regen for group/self

3: Minor CC abilities lull/mezz

4: Ludicrous speed!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post was edited by Veektor at May 22, 2018 2:25 PM PDT
    • 375 posts
    May 24, 2018 8:08 AM PDT

Amsai said:

I played FFXI which had a bard that was mostly Kiting/pulling and buffing so can relate Fluffy.

@Nanfoodle

You have to narrow it down to 3 pics! Yes its supposed to drive you nuts LOL.

1. CC/Pulling

2. Buffing/Debuffing

3. Damage

• 904 posts
    May 24, 2018 3:25 PM PDT

Pulling.

Crowd control. 

Mana regen.

• 90 posts
    May 26, 2018 1:42 PM PDT

In no particular order.

Crowd Control. (wheter it’d me mez, root, slows, kiting in outdoor zones)

(Jack of all) buffs

Tagging mobs (Pulls)

• 270 posts
    June 5, 2018 6:53 PM PDT

Inspirational Buffing (Haste/Resource Regens)
    Demoralizing Debuffing (Slows/Resource drains)
    Fascinating CC 
    Concussive DPS/stuns

In contrast to the EQ bard I hope that they do not wear full plate and are able to dual weild martial weapons (even poorly).  They should effectively be a highly mobile caster using instruments, their voice, and  movements as their weapons.  If the PRotF bard is anything like the DAOC bard then I will definitely play that.  Leather armor (or maybe a chain vest) and essentially spell casting while moving was a great concept for a "bard"... how can anyone dance or play an instrument in full plate or even be understood more than 10' away through a helmet? 

• 1502 posts
    June 15, 2018 11:47 AM PDT

My bard background wasn't in EQ so maybe my opinions get downweighted 50%. Make that 25% Vanguard was an EQ game.

Buffing, especially movement speed.

Debuffing.

Some dps and healing and crowd control - jack of all trades.

Veektor, jack of all trades isn't boring it keeps you on your toes a lot more than a more specialized class. You need to know when to buff, when to debuff, when to add your dps, when to switch to off-heal. If buffing includes mana transfer, when to do this and who to give the mana too. When and how to use your limited cc if you have one.

• 6 posts
    June 24, 2018 3:05 PM PDT

1.  CC

2.  Buffs

3.  Pulling/Utility

Amsai said:

I have asked similar questions in the past, but with the forum membership increasing and by association the amount of Bards waiting to play the class. Its time for an update:

If you could name just 3 aspects of Bard that you find crucial to being a Bard, What would they be?

Ill start.

1. Kiting/Pulling

2. Buffing

3. Out of Combat Utility

There are no wrong answers, and non-Bards should post too if they want for what they would expect from Bards.

• 11 posts
    July 5, 2018 7:36 AM PDT

1. Buffing, especially combat buffs. I really liked some of the EQ2 buffs they added later that gave bards the ability to toss out a short buff that gave a bunch of burst dps to the group.

2. Run speed! Sorry but I got totally addicted to this in EQ, EQ2, and VG. Also really liked the float mechanic EQ and VG had with bards.

3. Damage: Im ok with not out putting same DPS as a true DPS, but id like to at least do half and not 1/5th.

• 65 posts
    July 10, 2018 5:57 PM PDT

1. Group buffing

2. Pulling

3. Out of Combat utility (i.e. mana recovery for less down time)

• 33 posts
    August 10, 2018 3:13 PM PDT

i played an EQ1 bard for 7 years, the only game that ever came close to that feel of gameplay again was Vanguard, which no longer exsists. i'd really like to see a bard similar in play style. and even EQ1 ruined Bards overtime. i miss that style of play, Weaving songs, swarm kiting, High Speed Chases through dungeons with 100+ mobs that could 2 shot me trying to drag a friends corpse out of a dungeon. the good ole days.

1: out of Combat utility, e.g. mana/health regen, movement speed.

2: buffs such as Attack Speed, Mana Battery, AoE Debuff of mobs.

3: solo Kiting, swarm kiting used to be a huge part of my life, can;t even count how many times i lagged by 300ms on dial-up and got wrecked instantly.

• 110 posts
    August 10, 2018 9:11 PM PDT

must haves 

1. Use music in its combat arts/skilltrees/animations. Song/musical instruments/musical chords

2. Buffs/debuffs

3. Crowd control

This is set in my personal take on importance/priority to be in the game for a bard.

Everything else to me is more about playstyles rather then must haves to feel like you're playing a bard.

The question here was to post your 3! most important things what a bard should have. It does not mean there isn't a lot more behind a bard.

So I'm not ignoring it, a bard should be functional in other ways/times as well, but there (for me at least) is a basic minimum I do not want to go without when I play my bard.

This post was edited by Barin999 at August 10, 2018 9:15 PM PDT
    • 6 posts
    August 13, 2018 10:42 AM PDT
    1. Jack of all trades (Access to some/most spells/abilities of every class)
      1. The spells will be converted to songs and have a altered effect and effectiveness
      2. A bard's version of a cleric heal will heal everyone friendly (at a smaller amount) around the bard every 2 seconds
    2. AE Sound-Based for all spells/abilities
      1. All sounds carry, thus all songs are area-effect.
      2. Since all songs are AE, they will be less effective than the original spell, but make up for it by the constant effect.
    3. Bards can prepare songs by combining different spells into a single song
      1. Each spell is linked to a specific chord.
      1. A song must have all different chords.
    • 149 posts
    August 13, 2018 1:08 PM PDT

Mechanically, I want Bards to have:

Great versatility in exactly how they can be played

The ability to creatively customize songs in some way to produce different effects.

Lots of utility

Thematically, I like Bards to be:

Itinerant -- The quintessential traveling gypsy.

Accomplished -- Adept in many different disciplines, from art to travel to combat.

Stylish -- 'Nuff said.