Forums » The Bard

Informal Bard Poll

• 491 posts
    May 22, 2017 10:39 PM PDT

Amsai - only the S?  Seems a bit light for you.  How about putting the S u p another p o r and t in support?

• 1999 posts
    May 23, 2017 6:57 AM PDT

@Kumu

Was trying to keep it modest, but yup SUPPORT!!

• 2 posts
    May 23, 2017 7:45 PM PDT

As an old school eq bard, I always loved pulling, general utility and the fact that we did more for others in the group than ourselves (rarely had trouble finding a group because of this).  No enchanter in the group, we could cover crowd control; no slower, had a so-so slow; etc.  

• 15 posts
    June 3, 2017 11:19 AM PDT
    Three traits I find super improtant are
    1. Out of combat buffs
    2. In-combat party buffs
    3. The ability to be able to solo if I decide to just grind some XP by myself
    • 7 posts
    July 15, 2017 6:27 PM PDT

I'll admit I have never really played a bard in EQ but I find it to be very interesting of a class as an Idea, probably the only other class outside of a ranger (if Archery) I'd really want to play. 

To me as a "hard core" raider and by that i mean I have always been end game geared... Things important to me to group with a bard in a raid or group are:

1: Group buffs/utility. Magic damage bonus, melee damage bonus, speed bonus, tanking abilities bonuses and slows

2: Out of combat utility. Movement, invizo, mana and hp regen

3: Puller. Minor mez/CC abilities/fades

Bard were really the only class that used Utility as their primary use to make the class what it is. In EQ no class had real utility that mattered anywhere near what a bard could dish out, and because of that Bards were OP when it came to Utility. Bards utility worked despite their huge lack of DPS/heals or lack of ability to tank because it was just so useful.

That's my take =)

This post was edited by Avory at July 15, 2017 6:28 PM PDT
    • 160 posts
    July 15, 2017 6:34 PM PDT

Kumu said:

Amsai - only the S?  Seems a bit light for you.  How about putting the S u p another p o r and t in support?

Am"support"ai?

• 1999 posts
    July 18, 2017 10:05 AM PDT
    @Fancy

You cracked the code!!!!!!

/mind blown
    • 143 posts
    August 6, 2017 12:34 PM PDT

1) Support - The primary function of a Bard in my mind, buffs for party members ranging from short duration in combat bosts to long duration buffs to throw on newbies in town and a party/raid run speed buff to go cross-country), possibly limited suplemental healing (regen/HoT type stuff, mana battery).

2) Control - A secondary speciality of a Bard, not as good as an Enchanter but able to fill the role for a party in a pinch (e.g. if there are 2 Bards in zone but not Enchanters online).  AOE stuns/snare+DoT, single target mez, etc.  This probably includes some pulling/kiting abilities by their nature.

3) Out of Combat Utility - Singing at a camp to regen mana/health faster to reduce downtime, out of combat run speed group buff, even some limited solo friendly skills like a weak form of Stealth/Sneak (ala Rogue/Ranger/Druids).  Things to help out at Camp or in town or exploring.

As an aside, some basic weaponskills with "Bard type weapons" - mainly thinking shortsword, daggers/throwing daggers/hidden daggers, shortbow), but mostly for soloing and not so much for group play (I made a thread about this, mainly that solo/field Bards might use singing to augment their weapon attacks while group bards would sheath their weapons and use an instrument to empower and amplify their songs/add AOE components, etc rendering the weaponskills useless but increasing their Support capability.  Also note throwing daggers/shortbow could help them in kiting if kiting is considered a kind of role.

• 1999 posts
    August 11, 2017 10:38 AM PDT
    @Renathras

Another strong supporter for support Bards I see!.

I like the idea of throwing daggers used in kiting too.
    • 5 posts
    December 3, 2017 2:43 AM PST

I really just want them to clone EQ bards, honestly if there had been that statement up front; they'd have got a LOT of money from me. Take the abilities of the other classes, tone them back, give us tons of them and have them synergize with each other and the other main role abilities.

1. Group/Raid Synergy through support (make everyone better than they could be without a bard regardless of activity).

2. Speed man. Gotta go fast. Zoom Zoom.

3. Skill based. I'm fine with a melody type system but make manual twisting just a bit better when you need/want to step up your game. Just no afk melody, the bard should interact periodically to keep up his performence.

This post was edited by diableri at December 3, 2017 2:44 AM PST
    • 34 posts
    December 5, 2017 2:00 PM PST

In-combat buffing / defense / offense.

Out-of-combat buffing / health & energy recovery.

Shortbow, dagger, or shortsword proficiency.

In all honesty I feel that a bard should not be a combat-strong class.  I feel that buffs are their primary use, with minor combat ability.  Therefore, bards, by nature, are a group-centric class, not necessarily meant to solo anything more than a rat. ;)

• 1999 posts
    December 5, 2017 2:49 PM PST

@Diableri

Good stuff man. And of course we have to have the Zoom Zoom. And I mean the fastest Zoom Zoom.

@Merrick

In all honesty I feel that a bard should not be a combat-strong class.  I feel that buffs are their primary use, with minor combat ability.  Therefore, bards, by nature, are a group-centric class, not necessarily meant to solo anything more than a rat. ;)

This! So this!

• 24 posts
    December 5, 2017 4:59 PM PST

A) Buffs/Support

B) Battlefield Control (i.e., AoE snags/hazards/fog, etc....)

C) Utility, utility, utility.

I agree a Bard should be able to hold their own in combat, but only at least until help arrives.

• 1999 posts
    December 6, 2017 9:08 AM PST

@Nightsong

Yet another support Bard! I like the fog idea. Give them unique spells to set them apart from just being Enchanter lite. It sometimes just becomes too easy to just copy things like Charm.

• 491 posts
    December 9, 2017 6:00 AM PST

By the way Amsai, this was such a successful thread you really should one day start a FORMAL bard poll, where we all have to post images of ourselves in tuxedos (black tie baby!) or ball gowns with our answers.

Silk cummerbunds optional, no frilly shirts please (unless you have a tux left over from the 80s, or can prove you are a pirate). Remember to make your group look good - while looking good! 

This post was edited by Kumu at December 9, 2017 6:01 AM PST
    • 24 posts
    December 9, 2017 6:21 PM PST

Kumu said:

By the way Amsai, this was such a successful thread you really should one day start a FORMAL bard poll, where we all have to post images of ourselves in tuxedos (black tie baby!) or ball gowns with our answers.

Silk cummerbunds optional, no frilly shirts please (unless you have a tux left over from the 80s, or can prove you are a pirate). Remember to make your group look good - while looking good! 

Hey, now.  I'm Rogue/Tank here.  I was only commenting from ther perspective of how I'd like my party Bard to be able to help.  No bow ties, unless I can hide a vial of sleep poison behind it.