Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Any Dune Fans?

This topic has been closed.
    • 7 posts
    May 6, 2017 9:15 AM PDT

I noticed this during the stream, gave me laugh.  Also, this brings up the question of last names, once again I'm sure.  I have not seen an example of this in game until now, which begs the question: Is there a mechanic implemented for last names, or is this just something allowed for the current testers/devs?  It seems interesting to me that the first and last name of a character would show up in a message like this.

• 633 posts
    May 6, 2017 10:06 AM PDT

Here is another discussion on last names if you want to read up on previous information about it:  https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4299/surnames/view/post_id/81149

• 7 posts
    May 6, 2017 10:08 AM PDT

Thanks, that answers my questions.  I tried searching for "last names" but not "surnames" apparently I need more coffee.

• 3852 posts
    May 6, 2017 10:26 AM PDT

I read all the Arrakis books by Frank Herbert - Dune to ignorent foreigners.

The follow-up books by his children weren't nearly as good. Then again his books went way downhill near the end - reminded me of Heinlein that way.

• 7 posts
    May 6, 2017 10:41 AM PDT

Ah! I only made it through Heretics of Dune, throughly enjoyed up until that.  It got a bit off track at that point, perhaps someday I will finish it out.  I guess count me as an ignorant foreigner, as my friends and I have always considered it the Dune series, although I never read any of the books his children wrote (I should point out that Herbert is American, as am I).

• 44 posts
    May 6, 2017 7:27 PM PDT
    The 6 Dune books are essentially my bible. Everything else in the...duniverse? Would make poor Frank roll over in his grave. The man was a GENIUS! And is my personal hero. White Plague is an excellent non Dune read.

You better before be if surnames are unique Atreides will be be mine first ; )
    • 1095 posts
    May 6, 2017 8:04 PM PDT

Sebkoril said:

It seems interesting to me that the first and last name of a character would show up in a message like this.

The game is nowhere close to release. Someone prolly just named their test toon that in their first name as there might not be input validation for spaces yet for first names.

I am sure all of that will be flushed out.

It's like looking at a house being built before its finished and asking why can I see through the walls.

This post was edited by Aich at May 6, 2017 8:21 PM PDT
    • 160 posts
    May 7, 2017 12:03 AM PDT

Are you sure it wasn't just his ghola?

• 3852 posts
    May 7, 2017 3:04 AM PDT

>I guess count me as an ignorant foreigner, as my friends and I have always considered it the Dune series<

No, no it is the Dune series I was playing around. But the actual name for the desert planet that most of it was set on was Arrakis although it was typically called Dune by the Imperials.

>Are you sure it wasn't just his ghola?<

Good point it probably WAS a ghola!

• 9115 posts
    May 7, 2017 4:25 AM PDT

kelenin said:

Here is another discussion on last names if you want to read up on previous information about it:  https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4299/surnames/view/post_id/81149

Thank you! :)

I understand the lack of coffee feeling, I really do! but I will still have to close this as it is a duplicate and has been discussed before ;)