Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Boxing/automated game play

This topic has been closed.
    • 2 posts
    May 6, 2017 6:30 AM PDT

I may be having a pre-coffee moment here but I thought I read a post several months ago about boxing but during my forum search I didn't find such a thread. If I recall correctly the Pantheon Team is going to prevent using software to automate game play and I'm curious (because I am staunchly anti-boxer) how all that is going. 

Thanks!

Mallo

This post was edited by Malloriana at May 6, 2017 6:36 AM PDT
    • 130 posts
    May 6, 2017 7:26 AM PDT

Automation can be done on a single account, FYI, what you seem to have concern with is botting + automation.

Here's the best thing I can find that Kilsin said back in January:

"It really isn't hard to see data repeated the exact same way for certain lengths of time, even when a G# keyboard is used, plus we have invisible GM functions to investigate reports and can watch these actions without being detected by anyone on the server, it comes down to teamwork between VR and the community and I am confident that we will be able to stay on top of these bots and gold farmers if we work together, this is also what I will be creating the Guides program and other programs for, to help us manage issues like this in-game. :)"

Some of the devs will have multiple boxes, I'll probably have 3 boxes myself.  But automation, nah.  Would be nice for tradeskill combines, though ... nobody likes 100's & 100's of TS combines, lol.

Maybe Kil's or someone else can chime in and give further comment.

• 52 posts
    May 6, 2017 7:32 AM PDT

Kilsin is going to have to expand the Guide program then.  Having once been a Guide, I was busy with player issues with not much free time to keep an eye on things.  I just hope they give Guides better tools and a bit more latitude then we had way back in EQ.

• 74 posts
    May 6, 2017 7:32 AM PDT

Hello, I searched in the forums for "dual box" and found the answer.

From Kilsin:

I am going to go ahead and close this thread guys, we have multiple threads already existing on the topic of Boxing (even two after the 2015 archive dump) as it has been debated to death and we have made our stance clear on the subject.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1822/multi-boxing

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1952/dual-boxing-the-touchy-subject

Please use the search function before creating a new post, as you will most likely find that someone has already created a thread on the subject and we want to keep all discussions consolidated, so the information is easy to find and read for all of our new and old members alike.

Our stance:

Boxing will be allowed, but the way our characters and abilities are set up it will make it very hard. We will not tolerate cheats, gold farmers or botting programs but having multiple accounts to dual box is perfectly fine.

On a side note, isboxer isn't illegal or botting software, it is not a bannable offence in EQ, EQ2, VG, WoW etc. it is keystroke mimicking software that requires a person to be sitting at their computer and playing, this isn't something we support, I just wanted to clear that up. There is a botting add-on for isboxer that is illegal and will get you banned but the isboxer software itself will not.

• 130 posts
    May 6, 2017 8:10 AM PDT

The OP is looking for a status update, I guess, regarding tools for preventing automation.

• 53 posts
    May 6, 2017 8:40 AM PDT

From what I have seen in the streams, it is going to be very difficult to multi-box more than one character at a time like some people did back in the day. If only for the fact that you are gonna have to pay closer attention to your actions in battle than you ever had to in our old nostalgic games.

• 483 posts
    May 6, 2017 10:27 AM PDT

If a player can multibox 3 classes at the same time while doing mid level content I will aplaud him.

Without the automated-play programs and bot programs, or mimic key presses programs, playing more than one charater will be really hard.

• 279 posts
    May 6, 2017 10:48 AM PDT
    Depends. Some players are pretty situationally aware and able to multitasking well. They will succeed at boxing.

Though the rewards for the effort will be low based on how content is designed, because if the content is as intense as it llooks to be so far, boxing more than 2 or 3 seems like it would be a lesson in futility.

However depending on other factors (class dependency/synergy) it may very well be possible to pick 3 classes that mesh very well and allow you to do with 3 what normally would take 6.

I don't think that's likely, but it is possible.

If automation and gold farmers are out though, I think that will drastically curtail the toxic/negatively impact of things like MQers.

I am sure some will figure out ways around it and such, and I hope they are dealt with severely.
    • 844 posts
    May 6, 2017 11:16 AM PDT

Sunmistress said: Depends. Some players are pretty situationally aware and able to multitasking well. They will succeed at boxing. Though the rewards for the effort will be low based on how content is designed, because if the content is as intense as it llooks to be so far, boxing more than 2 or 3 seems like it would be a lesson in futility. However depending on other factors (class dependency/synergy) it may very well be possible to pick 3 classes that mesh very well and allow you to do with 3 what normally would take 6. I don't think that's likely, but it is possible. If automation and gold farmers are out though, I think that will drastically curtail the toxic/negatively impact of things like MQers. I am sure some will figure out ways around it and such, and I hope they are dealt with severely.

Yeah, what you said - pretty much a canard.

Without the use of advanced keyboard macro's or programs designed for control of secondary accounts there is no multi-tasking yourself through a dungeon well, or even in a difficult fight.

With a buff/heal bot and maybe crowd control bot sitting next to you, maybe pulling tougher than normal mobs is possible, but please stop trying to think you can actively manage three keyboards and dozens of actions simultaneously without software help.

I and many friends multi-boxed in many games going back to UO and your statement is farcical.

• 2419 posts
    May 6, 2017 11:47 AM PDT

The thing to memember is that when multi-boxing, all you need is each subsequent class to be less 'input intesive' than the previous.  Pure DPS casters make great support because they require no special positioning and beyond a needed /assist hotkey they can fully support the main with simple single key clicks.  In EQ1, I would triple box an SK, SHM and WIZ.  It was the /assist key that let me do that with ease.  If Pantheon allows us to create macro keys like /assist then multi-boxing will be commonplace.  I know I'll be figuring out best to do it.

• 70 posts
    May 6, 2017 8:56 PM PDT

Yeah, what you said - pretty much a canard.

Without the use of advanced keyboard macro's or programs designed for control of secondary accounts there is no multi-tasking yourself through a dungeon well, or even in a difficult fight.

With a buff/heal bot and maybe crowd control bot sitting next to you, maybe pulling tougher than normal mobs is possible, but please stop trying to think you can actively manage three keyboards and dozens of actions simultaneously without software help.

I and many friends multi-boxed in many games going back to UO and your statement is farcical.

Why does it have to be done from 3 keyboards? I boxed 11 eq accounts simultaneously without aids from one computer using one keyboard and mouse, if you shrink the windows so that they scatter across your screen you can toggle between windows and input keys to at least 2 clients per second. Yeah maybe I wasn't playing like a complete superstar but I could get everyone healing dps'ing and tanking.

• 9115 posts
    May 7, 2017 4:22 AM PDT

ghost7 said:

Hello, I searched in the forums for "dual box" and found the answer.

From Kilsin:

I am going to go ahead and close this thread guys, we have multiple threads already existing on the topic of Boxing (even two after the 2015 archive dump) as it has been debated to death and we have made our stance clear on the subject.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1822/multi-boxing

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1952/dual-boxing-the-touchy-subject

Please use the search function before creating a new post, as you will most likely find that someone has already created a thread on the subject and we want to keep all discussions consolidated, so the information is easy to find and read for all of our new and old members alike.

Our stance:

Boxing will be allowed, but the way our characters and abilities are set up it will make it very hard. We will not tolerate cheats, gold farmers or botting programs but having multiple accounts to dual box is perfectly fine.

On a side note, isboxer isn't illegal or botting software, it is not a bannable offence in EQ, EQ2, VG, WoW etc. it is keystroke mimicking software that requires a person to be sitting at their computer and playing, this isn't something we support, I just wanted to clear that up. There is a botting add-on for isboxer that is illegal and will get you banned but the isboxer software itself will not.

Thank you! :)

We do not have an update, we have made our stance clear several times and we will discuss this more when we can get in and test it with you all. We have security measures and things in place to protect against programs and log activity but we also will be making the client as dumb as possible so the information they need isn't available.

Please do not make any more threads on boxing or gold farming/selling.