Forums » Guild Recruitment

Gauging interest

• 294 posts
    June 10, 2018 2:10 PM PDT

Can only have the three of us in a conversation here, as the remaining four have (wisely) opted to wait for launch before paying.

But was wondering how much/often you tend to use voice chat in games?

I for example would only turn it on when we were starting to prep for a raid/camp and because i had to. I'd obviously keep it on during, but turn it off right after. I consider it taking away from the experience rather than adding; necessary where applicable of course (how else can 3846354278 people get organised), but the "evil" kind of necessary nonetheless.

I always found it preferable to type and read. Then again, i still have use for pen and paper so i may not exactly be the majority here :P

Do you see it differently?

This post was edited by Aenra at June 10, 2018 2:12 PM PDT
    • 4 posts
    June 11, 2018 9:37 AM PDT

I used to have the same preference as you, I had almost forgot that I once did but your post reminded me. I guess over time I got used to the jibber-jabber and in some games like EVE for example it's basically a must have.

I wouldn't mind taking a more conservative approach to the use of voice chat for this game though, for immurrsion purrposes :3

• 294 posts
    June 12, 2018 7:57 AM PDT

"Conservative"? Moi? Who said that!!! Why, i.. :P

It's not just the 'immersion' (ever since the advent of game "journos" this term gives me the creeps), although it does play its part for sure. It's one thing seeing a boss coming out of nowhere and almost one shotting you, soundtrack in step (and how important is sound huh), and quite another to have it all almost muted because Peter is talking about his friend's wife's sister and would you believe what she did this time. Different experience altogether, you know? :)

You've lost something in the second scenario, the experience is somewhat diminished, or at least, so i deem it.

But it's also about mental stamina for lack of a better term.. wears you down, needing to focus on people (are they talking to me? Is what they're saying of import? Need i intervene, comment, keep a mental note, etc?), which is one aural source; the game's sound effects and track, them being a second one (and if this game is even half good, there may be an import there too. Think cues); and while splitting your attention to both, dealing with the game's actual mechanics on top.

That too has its cost ^^

(now granted, the latter need not apply for everyone, as i can see a member "tuning" us all "off" while having vent on, going about his business and whatever. I just cannot see me tuning all of you off, not what i'm meant to be doing, lol)

• 294 posts
    June 14, 2018 5:06 PM PDT

/random

Everyone keeps saying how ""jaded"" they are, how they cannot wait for a new..old.. MMO! Like Pantheon! Awesome concept! Teh classez!!111 wow! ..zorz..!!11

(and i sit down to have a read, yeah? Warrior, meat shield; the end. Semi-useless category. Exactly as it had and has been for like.. yeah. Shaman? Heal others, die when alone. Totally useless category. Except for others! How cool is that! And totally novel! I mean i've like never seen this done before! Oh my God, did i say how novel! I could go on, but.. it always fascinated me, how they attract the lowest possible IQ in these kind of games, they don't even have to try hard, you know? They will literally flock on their own. It's honestly amazing, both the audience's inclination, existing in advance, sans encouragement, and its self-proclaimed assurance that it is somehow unique; be it in its eclecticism or its ability to pinpoint the 'novel' amidst the "trash"; and its low IQ notwithstanding. It's really humbling if one could take a step back for just a moment, we're after all supposedly of the same species)

/random off

Me, Statler and Waldorf. Should name the guild thus, lol

*Edit: If you're wondering what does this all say about us, you're on the right track dear, keep at it. Self-flagellation does wonders for the soul. And the coffers i guess.

This post was edited by Aenra at June 14, 2018 5:10 PM PDT
    • 23 posts
    June 18, 2018 11:33 PM PDT

Aenra said:

Can only have the three of us in a conversation here, as the remaining four have (wisely) opted to wait for launch before paying.

But was wondering how much/often you tend to use voice chat in games?

I for example would only turn it on when we were starting to prep for a raid/camp and because i had to. I'd obviously keep it on during, but turn it off right after. I consider it taking away from the experience rather than adding; necessary where applicable of course (how else can 3846354278 people get organised), but the "evil" kind of necessary nonetheless.

I always found it preferable to type and read. Then again, i still have use for pen and paper so i may not exactly be the majority here :P

Do you see it differently?

I do agree with you for the most part, I do enjoy the sounds of in-game while soloing or crafting etc. Though I am a former raid leader and I admit I used to spend HOURS on ventrillo back in the day talking with guildmates pre/post raid while drinking some brews......fun times lol. I am flexible either way :)

• 294 posts
    June 19, 2018 1:22 PM PDT

Azareilia said:

used to spend HOURS on ventrillo back in the day talking with guildmates pre/post raid while drinking some brews......fun times lol. I am flexible either way :)

Point there, had forgotten about that! In my defence, it's been quiiiite a while ^^

Was actually thinking more of this trend i'd noticed, where everyone was somehow supposed to be logged in for their entire playtime, come rain or sunshine; which to me entails a certain "pressure" of sorts, you know? My intent here was to see if you guys expected something similar, or are willing to be looser i guess? Non-diplomatically speaking, i'd say normal, but.. yeah :)

As to the drinking part, we'll get back to that, lol

(am a two Js kind of guy; if it's Jack or Jim, am aaall set. I hear Bullet is O.K., but it doesn't start with a J)

• 294 posts
    July 31, 2018 6:37 AM PDT

O.K., was checking the thread's total viewings and statistically speaking we're doing great, lol..

..which is, for good or worse, actually true; what we ask and the typical mmo player, two different things :)

Anyway, thread is bumped, so can now retreat further back in the mancave.

Been watching the sapiens Outside(tm) for all these decades and frankly am disappointed. They just don't mak'em like they used to.

This post was edited by Aenra at July 31, 2018 6:39 AM PDT
    • 2 posts
    August 5, 2018 2:10 PM PDT

Aenra said:

Neglected to mention.. have purposefully not specified timezone, partly as i find it secondary in importance, partly since i can be available both days and evenings (have been active in both EU and US guilds). Am very flexible in that aspect.

Hard enough finding like-minded folks :)

• 294 posts
    August 5, 2018 11:36 PM PDT

@STYLZ (does tagging work here?)

If interested, and why would you, are you crazy perhaps? Imbalanced? Can i have your prescriptions!? Send a PM, or feel free to ask here.

And welcome to Pantheon :)

* i'd have taken the liberty to PM you myself, but i read your post at a rather incovenient moment. Probably will later on.

• 294 posts
    August 6, 2018 11:41 AM PDT

* Update: Your profile's private, cannot PM you; as stated, post here or PM me should you feel like it.