Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Did you meet your spouse gaming? Or know someone who did?

• 13 posts
    May 2, 2017 10:06 PM PDT

I was reminiscing with a good friend of mine today (who I met in EQ1) about all the people we met playing that game. Of the dozens of folks who became good friends, we know 5 couples who met playing EQ1 and got married (this includes my sister and brother-in-law). All 5 couples are still married today. :) At my wedding, the only bridesmaid who was not one of my sisters was an EQ1 guildmate, and a quarter of my wedding guests were guildmates.

Did you meet your spouse/SO playing an MMO? Know other people who did?

I'm curious just how many folks out there found their loves in the wilds of Norrath, or in other online worlds. :)

This post was edited by Juniper at May 2, 2017 10:08 PM PDT
    • 19 posts
    May 3, 2017 1:32 AM PDT

While I myself am eternally single, I have known at least half a dozen couples that met and got married in EQ1, WoW, or DDO.  Including a real life best friend and fellow Marine who met his wife of 15ish years now in EQ1.  I was his best man and almost half the wedding guests were guildmates/allied guildmates.  It was a truly wonderful event. 

• 5 posts
    May 3, 2017 9:51 AM PDT

Yes , my Brother met his spouse online in WoW during WoTLK , now they are married just 1 week ago :) , it can happen hahaha .

• 13 posts
    May 3, 2017 10:55 AM PDT

xannanna said:

Yes , my Brother met his spouse online in WoW during WoTLK , now they are married just 1 week ago :) , it can happen hahaha .

Gratz to them. :) That was a good expansion, too. haha!

• 13 posts
    May 3, 2017 11:12 AM PDT

BelgrimIcereaver said:

While I myself am eternally single, I have known at least half a dozen couples that met and got married in EQ1, WoW, or DDO.  Including a real life best friend and fellow Marine who met his wife of 15ish years now in EQ1.  I was his best man and almost half the wedding guests were guildmates/allied guildmates.  It was a truly wonderful event. 

So very cool! I've met a lot of married military folks who play often as a way to stay in touch and "hang out" with their SOs when one of them is deployed, too. I do the same with my sister - we live on opposite coasts so it's a great way to "be there" even if it's not face-to-face. 

• 595 posts
    May 8, 2017 2:36 PM PDT

Indeed.  My wife and I met playing Star Wars: The Old Republic.  While our time in game was short we both made out ok ;)

Though we've been together for 5 years, we will be celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary May 28.

• 3852 posts
    May 10, 2017 7:57 AM PDT

Didn't meet playing computer games but I think we can be forgiven for that since there WAS no on-line gaming when we met and got married. And no personal computers for that matter. Well before even very basic console games like Pong.

But once the wheel turned and these things were invented we spent loads of time playing them together.

• 151 posts
    May 12, 2017 10:01 AM PDT

My wife and I met playing EQ.  We have been married since 2005 and have a daughter.

• 190 posts
    May 15, 2017 2:08 PM PDT

I met my husband in EQ2. We've been married 10 years last month, 12 years together. The family that games together, stays together.  :-)  <3

• 27 posts
    May 16, 2017 6:23 PM PDT

When som asks me where my wife and I met, I always say Highkeep. :)

• 169 posts
    May 18, 2017 5:53 PM PDT
    I met my wife when i was home on leaver after my deployment in 99-2000, however we met in the old msn chat rooms not in a game.
    After we got married in 01, she promptly stole my shaman in eqoa and made it her own so i had to reroll to a barbarian tank, and i have been tanking ever since.
    We now have been married almost 16 years and have 3 wonderful kids.
    I remember the time my wife came home from her parents and caught me 4 boxing poxathixius in eqoa...and got yelled at for having my sons playing the stack path cleric and the necromancer. ( they were 4 and 5)

Ahh good times
    • 151 posts
    June 5, 2017 7:21 AM PDT

My wife and I met at inn 1 in 1999. We got married in 2003 and just enjoyed our 14th anniversary. The funny part is we both played druids and were always arguing about who was better. She could root rot 6 mobs at a time with her epic and bracer while I quad kited around her on the Tro-Jeg plat. We have both quit playing MMO's but we want to start playing again when PROTF comes out. I just hope we havent "grown out" of the desire to play. I was a raid leader and she was the MT defiler in EQ2 and it became a job.

• 3237 posts
    June 5, 2017 4:18 PM PDT

My uncle met his wife playing EQOA, proudpine outpost server.  Both are retired military.

• 18 posts
    June 6, 2017 7:04 AM PDT

my brother in law met his now exwife in EQ1

i met hubby IRL right as EQ2 was launchin and hes been playing EQ1 since launch. Ive been playing EQ2 on and off since launch. 

funny how i used to hate his gaming and now i shudder in terror at the thought of neither of us having our games 

• 11 posts
    June 6, 2017 7:30 AM PDT

jolina said:

my brother in law met his now exwife in EQ1

i met hubby IRL right as EQ2 was launchin and hes been playing EQ1 since launch. Ive been playing EQ2 on and off since launch. 

funny how i used to hate his gaming and now i shudder in terror at the thought of neither of us having our games 

Yes indeed! You were a gamer and you didn't even know it. We can finally have a game together again in Pantheon. :)

• 18 posts
    June 6, 2017 8:38 AM PDT

"Yes indeed! You were a gamer and you didn't even know it. We can finally have a game together again in Pantheon. :)"

i did know. i used to play doom and wolfenstein in high school. 

cant wait till we can game together again!!!

• 110 posts
    June 9, 2017 9:28 AM PDT

I met Kalibos while playing Neverwinter. <3 We've been married since October 2014. (My previous relationship started in EQ, too.) Online gaming is a great place to start a relationship because you get to know the other person as friends first and know their honest personality before you ever see them in real life.