Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Will there be a "Purple Club"?

• 1479 posts
    October 18, 2018 11:36 PM PDT

Naunet said:

Never heard the phrase "purple club" - I presume this is like the downed state in GW2?

More or less, it was a purple HP bar that appeared only below 0hp, in which your character could sstill be healed and would stand up if filled back to the red hp bar. You could however, not act and were switched to 3rd person view seeing your corpse beaten to death. It didn't trop threat (it even increased the threath  radius and behavior because it was like beeing "sitting" so ennemies would tend to focus you even if you weren't actively tanking), and you were bleeding to death unless you succeed in some hidden roll to stop the bleeding, or had some kind of increased regeneration.

It was pretty common to see the purple bar at low levels, when mobs were hitting for 1 or 2 damage, but since the bar was very small or didn't scale with gear (I can't say for sure the exact maths behind this, I assume it didn't scale with gear but with level as it could still be seen sometimes) at high levels you usually went directly from Standing to Very Dead in one swing.

It became quite popular to call it "The purple club" after a cleric posted a troll "rule" on the official forum, stating the rules to be in a party with him with exagerated conditions like handing reagents for buff before receiving any buff at all, or only healing his tank in "the purple club", which was pretty impossible back then with Complete Healing's 10s casting time.

Basically it's a "knockout mechanic" that stop beeing relevant as soon as Gear and Ennemy hits increase significantly

This post was edited by Mauvais_Oeil at October 18, 2018 11:36 PM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    October 19, 2018 9:18 AM PDT

Naunet said:

Never heard the phrase "purple club" - I presume this is like the downed state in GW2?

It meant an awesome save by the cleric. To say you were purpled or part of the "purple club" was a nice way of paying a high compliment to the cleric without sounding overly boastful. If a melee says it, all the higher implied priase. if a CC class says it, higher still. if a caster says it, bad on the caster but the hearer understands the unspoken sober compliment, for the cleric was able to show timely mercy on the over-aggroing casters.

"anyone know about soandso the cleric?" Chanter "she's good, she purpled me in sebs with 7 in camp" -Melee "was that the second time I died?" -chanter "yeah" *all eyebrows up*

• 12 posts
    October 21, 2018 9:05 PM PDT

Oh yes please :D

I remember a time in PoF where the tank died to magmaton and I was second on threat as a rogue. I just had time to pop, I forget the name, the skill that lets you dodge everything. And I lasted long enough that the healers had time to move their heal rotation to me.
    Turned his back to the raid and he died right after I died, or so I thought - welcome to the purple club :)

• 752 posts
    October 22, 2018 7:26 PM PDT
    I know they have specifically said they want some skills and spells to cross those death barriers and delay death. So i have no doubt the Purple Club will be alive and well.