Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Acclimation Screen Effect

• 1618 posts
    April 29, 2017 9:29 PM PDT

I loved the freezing screen effect I saw during the stream. I squealed and made my watch come watch it. It is far better than a big red system message telling me that I am cold.

However, I saw it was still there, even after the player was fully acclimated.

I suggest that the visual effect be based on the difference between your acclimation and the required amount of the environment. 

For example, if the environment requires tier 2 and I only have tier 1, I should see some freezing around the edges of my screen. If i have tier 2, I should see minimal effect, just enough to indicate that I am in a hostile area. 

If the environment requires tier 6 and I only have tier 1, my screen should be almost full of the effect.

This post was edited by Beefcake at April 29, 2017 9:40 PM PDT
    • 248 posts
    April 30, 2017 4:13 AM PDT

I like the frost effect. I think GW2 has water running down your screen awhile when you get back on land after swimming, really liked that too.
    To have the amount of frost on your screen tied in to your acclimation is a cool idea. This topic also makes me speculate what effects we might see for the other climates.
    Frigid, as we have seen, is frost on your screen. What would scorching look like? Toxic might be some sick green or yellow swirling smoke around the edges. What is Pressure going to do? Give you black edges, as if pressure gives you tunnel vision? Windshear? Anaerobic?
    Also, I think the effects should be able to combine in cool ways if there is more than one effect in an area :)

-sorte.

• 1095 posts
    April 30, 2017 9:32 AM PDT

I'd actually like the option to turn that off. Sure it might be helpful at first to identify you are dying but after a while you will become accustomed to knowling what to look for.

I play in 3rd person most of the time so that screen effect dosen't seem immersive. It would fit better in first person. Toggle option would be nice.

• 1778 posts
    April 30, 2017 11:33 AM PDT

I like it as well. And want to see more for different effects and complete darkness in special areas.