Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Putting zone size into perspective

• 9 posts
    April 29, 2017 12:52 PM PDT

Hey everyone,

Couldn't handle it after seeing the progress last stream - had to pledge up!!  Glad to be part of this community.

There is a question I've had for some time.  I didn't find any other posts regarding this so if they are out there, please let me know and apologies in advance.

The question is in regards to "zone size".  I'm trying to get an understanding for the scope of these zones shown on the streams.  I actually watched every stream up to this point in the last 24 hours and it seems they are quite large.  Avendyr's Pass especially when they show off the Perception System in the stream before last, coupled with the first stream where they are also there.

My first thought goes to Antonica or Commonlands in EQ2 - these were large zones with many many POI's and large diversity of monster types/level ranges.  Hoping for zones to be even LARGER than Antonica/CL from EQ2.  I loved the feeling of finally advancing from these areas after many many days of playing, leveling, questing, and exploring - and also having to revisit these zones at higher levels to see the areas I could not tackle as a lower level player.  You feel that you truely explore and gain knowledge about each zone, and remember certain NPC's that you maybe couldn't interact with at lower levels but now talk to you at higher levels.  Things like this were great experiences for me in EQ1 and EQ2.

Are the zones in Pantheon on par with zones such as those?  Are they larger?  Are they smaller?  I understand that it may be speculation at this point, but any data/information around this would be appreciated!

Thanks all

-Rividen

• 2886 posts
    April 29, 2017 1:06 PM PDT

I think you can expect a variety of zone sizes in Pantheon - some will be smaller than the ones we have seen. It's too early to give exact numbers. But yes, there will certainly be many zones that are quite big. This encourages exploration and allows them to accomodate large amounts of groups. 

From the FAQ:

(20.0) "...our current technology and tools allow us to create truly vast, rich, and detailed zones. Players will not be running frequently into zone borders. Our larger zones also allow us to create long vistas and views, and in almost all cases, if you can see a location you can travel there."

Furthermore, most zones will have a wide range of content for different levels. For example, there could be level 15 content on side of the zone and level 40 content on the other side of the same zone with plenty of room in between. This still allows players of different levels to see and interact with each other.

From the FAQ:

20.3 What is being done to make the world feel alive?

"We love the idea of bringing back a wide level range of content in the same zone. While some areas in a zone may be for low levels, other areas may contain higher level content. We want high and low level players to occupy the same spaces, encounter each other in their travels, and inspire players to reach higher levels."

• 1434 posts
    April 29, 2017 1:39 PM PDT
    They've said most zones will be bigger than even places like West Karana in EQ.
    • 9 posts
    April 29, 2017 1:47 PM PDT

Dullahan said:

this would be absolutely amazing if accurate.  So much potential for exploration!! :)

could you site where this was said/stated please?

This post was edited by RDTTKA121212 at April 29, 2017 1:48 PM PDT
    • 249 posts
    April 29, 2017 6:26 PM PDT

Remember that zone content can also go vertical due to the climbing ability and you can start to imagine the possibilities :)

• 9115 posts
    April 29, 2017 7:03 PM PDT

RDTTKA121212 said:

Dullahan said:

this would be absolutely amazing if accurate.  So much potential for exploration!! :)

could you site where this was said/stated, please?

This is a little bit misleading, we will have very large zones but not all of them are the exact same size, we have dungeons that are considered their own zone too but some zones will be smaller and more fitting to the surroundings, so while we plan on having plenty of zones that are a very reasonable size to immerse you and give the sense of being lost/part of the world they won;t all be equal in size.

• 9 posts
    April 29, 2017 7:26 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

RDTTKA121212 said:

Dullahan said:

could you site where this was said/stated, please?

This is a little bit misleading, we will have very large zones but not all of them are the exact same size, we have dungeons that are considered their own zone too but some zones will be smaller and more fitting to the surroundings, so while we plan on having plenty of zones that are a very reasonable size to immerse you and give the sense of being lost/part of the world they won;t all be equal in size.

thanks for the reply Kilsin.  The immersion/sense of being lost is something that I haven't felt in a very long time in an MMO.  I'll be extremely happy if Pantheon has this effect!  And based on the streams it's looking this way. 

cant state enough how exciting it is to have varying level range areas in the same zone, for all the reasons discussed in the last Stream. 

• 221 posts
    April 29, 2017 7:43 PM PDT

Avendyr's Pass is a zone players will certainly get turned around in. :-) 

• 160 posts
    April 29, 2017 7:51 PM PDT

I'm pretty much on record as being an EQ Bard freak...so there'd better be some huge zones and something along the lines of Selo's Song of Travel for me to fly around them with! hahaha

• 513 posts
    May 1, 2017 10:47 PM PDT

Yes, yes - Bards need to be speedy etc., but I SWEAR - if I die running into one more damned tree while following a bard....

• 409 posts
    May 2, 2017 2:34 AM PDT

deleted

This post was edited by Nimryl at August 23, 2017 8:00 AM PDT
    • 123 posts
    May 2, 2017 5:04 AM PDT

It is harder now to give the feeling of getting lost, cause no matter how huge the zones are, we often can see very far and get more visual references we can use to triangulate and evaluate our position. That would be a great achievement if VR could give us this feeling again and I'd be thankful for that ! :)

• 513 posts
    May 2, 2017 7:30 AM PDT

Oh Khendall!  Do NOT challenge them like this!  They are being NICE to us right now by showing zones where we CAN enjoy the panorama and view because of marketing and so on.  I agree with them.  All of us are going nuts watching every pixel during a stream seeing everything we can!  BUt I bet you that these guys are devious in nature.  You're going to have zones that are the size of Texas and darker than a coal mine at midnight.  Remeber Toxx Forrest?  Remember Bloody Kithicor?  THESE guys CAN make it almost impossible to guage the distance to the hand you hold in front of your face let alone across the zone!

• 123 posts
    May 2, 2017 8:18 AM PDT

@Nephretiti oh yes I remember, and the burning woods, I got a friend that never found Chardok, he is still looking for it but on FFIV :).