Forums » Fan Fiction

Port for coins

• 3 posts
    April 28, 2017 4:32 AM PDT

I love reading fan fiction, this is my first try be gentle!  I'm also going to be featuring fan fiction at http://pantheonhealers.com/port-for-coins/ feel free to read it here or there.  If you'd like your own fan fiction featured on the fansite just PM me!  Its mainly healer based but I'll include anything fan created.

520 IH

They say the Age of Chaos is over.  I suppose that’s fair now that 30 years have passed since the Deicide War.  Lately I’ve spent my days back in the wild, often napping in the shade of the trees.  You might say I’m lazy especially for an elf.  I wouldn’t blame you for that.  But as a survivor of the war I’ll leave the adventuring to this younger generation of druid.

I’ve not cast an offensive spell in nearly 20 years.  Therefore, I know there is only one request I receive when approached by a stranger.  They seek my skill to teleport them to a far off corner of Terminus.  When I first learned teleportation magic I jumped at any opportunity to show it off.  However when others only seek your company for this one purpose it becomes bothersome.  I’ve begun to demand payment for the inconvenience of forcing a change in napping locations.  Here’s an account of a particularly odd encounter.

Hail friend elf!  You port for coins?

“Hail adventurer, where are you traveling today?” not bothering to open my eyes.

I need the dwarf smith.  This spear tip dull again.

By his speech I could tell I was speaking to an ogre, I upped my politeness a bit.  “To be honest sir,  I’d suggest you do it yourself.  The dwarves always overcharge for such a simple service.  If you haven’t a sharpening stone there’s a human smith just down the road who will charge a fair price”.

Only dwarf can sharpen my spear.

“Sigh very well, teleports to Khazas’ Reach will cost you 2 gold coins”.

Sorry friend elf the dwarf live in Amber Fate.

Well that was an unexpected thing to hear.  I opened my eyes to the largest smiling Ogre I’d ever seen holding what was indeed a very impressive looking spear.  I stared at a loss for words.

Good Morning!

“Apologies, you can’t possibly intend to travel to Amber Fate to visit the rumored Fate Smith?”

Yes!  That him lets go!

“Friend I can not in good conscience take you to Amber Fate to visit a fictional dwarf and leave you to your death!”

Amber Fate dwarf my friend over all time.  He fix my spear!  I have many coins please lets go now!

“I see there is no dissuading you.  If you insist it will be 10 coins for such a dangerous teleport.  I’ll have to immediately port myself out of there after all”.  He pulled a purse from his belt larger than my head, held it up to his ear and shook it.  He smiled at me and nodded.

I stood up and began to prepare the spell.  As I gathered my mana I looked closer at his spear.

“Did you kill a shaman to find such a fine spear?”

No No No this spear always mine.

“An ogre shaman?  Now I’ve heard everything!  They say shaman live outside the bonds of time tell me shaman what do you see in my future?”

You go to Amber Fate, come back, take nap!

“Fair enough” as I shook my head and rolled my eyes, “Alright Amber Fate incoming”.  I immediately found myself waist high in a snow drift I looked over at the ogre the snow just below his knees.  “Ok here we are in Amber Fate, please give me my payment so I can be on my way before I freeze to death!”

He opened his coin purse and began to frown as he sifted through the coins.

Hey friend elf who the current Human king of Thronefast?

“A strange question, the only king of Thronefast Avendyr”.

He sifted a moment longer, tied off the purse and threw it to me almost knocking me over as I caught it.

Elves live a long time you use some day.  Or you come with and have dwarf melt for you!

I opened the purse and took out a coin with the likeness of a woman on it, I read aloud “990 IH The Lady King”.  I looked up to say something just in time to see the last of his silhouette disappear into the blizzard.

• 2886 posts
    April 28, 2017 5:36 AM PDT

Well done!

• 624 posts
    April 28, 2017 2:56 PM PDT

Great read, kudos!  The time twist was unexpected (though foreshadowed), and I loved the shaman's take on the elf's future.  Go, come back, take nap indeed!

Thank you.

• 220 posts
    April 28, 2017 3:42 PM PDT

Bravo! bravo!

Good read!

Indeed!

P.S. pantheonhealers.com, fan art and fan fiction sections are a great idea!

This post was edited by Larr at April 28, 2017 3:44 PM PDT
    • 1618 posts
    April 29, 2017 9:05 PM PDT

Short and relevant. I liked it.

• 213 posts
    May 15, 2017 2:18 PM PDT

Very nice short read! Let see some more!

• 294 posts
    May 15, 2017 5:32 PM PDT

Very nice story Xaest. If this is your first story I say Bravo !!! Keep 'em coming.

• 77 posts
    May 19, 2017 2:22 AM PDT

Very articulate and clever, thanks for the short story!

• 125 posts
    August 26, 2018 10:44 PM PDT

This story does two things for me:

1) It reminds me of a friend I had, he told me that when he was pushing pizza's he would never get bummed about a 2$ tip if the 2$ tip was a 2$ bill.

2)I can't wait to play a druid and I'm so stoked they get port!!!!!

Well wrote Xaest!