Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What was the special treat mentioned in the newsletter?

• 27 posts
    April 27, 2017 7:39 PM PDT

The newsletter mentioned "VIPs are in for a special treat" in regards to the April stream. What was it? Or maybe this will be for next week's stream?

• 2886 posts
    April 27, 2017 7:43 PM PDT

That referred to the VIP Roundtable on May 5th, where some of the devs take questions directly from VIPs in the private VIP discord channel.

• 9115 posts
    April 28, 2017 4:04 AM PDT

Announcing, new zones, new class, overall improvements, VIP Q&A etc. :)

• 3852 posts
    April 28, 2017 4:34 AM PDT

Hopefully someone will share the details afterwards I refuse to ever download Discord again.

Am I the only one that really hates it? It tries so hard to be cute but goes to so little effort to be CLEAR and I value precise instructions a lot more than cuteness.

Maybe it works well on mobile devices but it crashes all too often on computers (I am not the only one to say this) and when it does it scatters files all around and they are very hard to find and delete. IMO it can operate more like a virun than a communications tool. In the words of Rabbi Kahane in the early '70s - never again!

This post was edited by dorotea at April 28, 2017 4:36 AM PDT
    • 1468 posts
    April 28, 2017 4:37 AM PDT

dorotea said:

Hopefully someone will share the details afterwards I refuse to ever download Discord again.

Am I the only one that really hates it? It tries so hard to be cute but goes to so little effort to be CLEAR and I value precise instructions a lot more than cuteness.

Maybe it works well on mobile devices but it crashes all too often on computers (I am not the only one to say this) and when it does it scatters files all around and they are very hard to find and delete. IMO it can operate more like a virun that a communications tool. In the words of Rabbi Kahane in the early '70s - never again!

Your experience with Discord is completely contrary to mine. I have absolutely no crashes and as an old IRC user the user interface and the idea of different servers makes total sense. I guess you would have to have used IRC though to really get the concept though. I urge you to give it another try. It works like a charm on my Windows 10 PC (I basically never use the mobile phone app).

This post was edited by Cromulent at April 28, 2017 4:37 AM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    April 28, 2017 6:59 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

dorotea said:

Maybe it works well on mobile devices but it crashes all too often on computers (I am not the only one to say this) and when it does it scatters files all around and they are very hard to find and delete. IMO it can operate more like a virun that a communications tool. In the words of Rabbi Kahane in the early '70s - never again!

Your experience with Discord is completely contrary to mine. I have absolutely no crashes and as an old IRC user the user interface and the idea of different servers makes total sense. I guess you would have to have used IRC though to really get the concept though. I urge you to give it another try. It works like a charm on my Windows 10 PC (I basically never use the mobile phone app).

Yeah I have also had 0 problems with discord on windows 10. It's a super smooth user experience. Haven't really used the mobile app much yet.

That said, I think they usually make a recording of the roundtable available to VIPs in the VIP forum afterward.

• 801 posts
    April 28, 2017 7:09 AM PDT

Discord is known to have issues with logging you into games through steam. I first discovered this, and reported it. The overlays would log you into a game automatically. Basically any EA game you wanted never to log into prior to 14 days 2 hrs game play would log me into it. So it basically did not allow a person to refund it. This is just an example. I ended up with 290 hrs of arma 3 due to the computer system being left on all week.

Discord is not a bad concept, but needs some repairs.

Due to games like this discord is really the only option, other then mumble... which i dont think many use anymore.

• 129 posts
    April 28, 2017 11:00 AM PDT

dorotea said:

Maybe it works well on mobile devices but it crashes all too often on computers (I am not the only one to say this) and when it does it scatters files all around and they are very hard to find and delete. IMO it can operate more like a virun than a communications tool. In the words of Rabbi Kahane in the early '70s - never again!

We use discord for joint raids in P99. No issues. What do you mean it tries to be cute? Makes no sense to me.

• 3852 posts
    April 30, 2017 9:51 AM PDT

Maybe on my next computer Discord won't crash so often if I feel compelled to use it.

Maybe cute isn't the right word but I find opening the program and seeing "No one wants to talk to ((whatever the name of the thing is - Wumpus?" a lot less helpful than seeing a menu along the lines of "If you want to do X click here if you want to do Y click here etc.

But I HAVE seen other people agree that Discord is less stable on computers than on mobile devices - doubtlessly because computers have a much wider variation in hardware and software. I always had better luck with mumble, raidchat, teamspeak and the like.