Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Racial armour

• 1468 posts
    April 23, 2017 4:22 AM PDT

I did some searching and couldnt' come up with anything about this.

What about having racial armour be crafted by players? Say you have a bronze breastplate, you could have a standard bronze breastplate made by every race and then a special racial bronze breastplate that had some bonuses bestowed upon it by the race that made it. So perhaps you'd have a Gnome bronze breastplate and an Ogre bronze breastplate. The Gnome one might make it easier to move quietly and the Ogre one might give more armour class. This could be true of all armour and weapons made by crafters.

An even more interesting idea if this actually was in the game would be that races could learn other races racial armour recipes. They would do so by first gaining enough factions with that race and then completing a quest that would give them access to that races racial armour. You'd need enough faction to be friendly with that race and that might mean that it would be impossible to make racial armour for all races in the game as raising faction for one race will drop the faction for another race therefore crafters will have to carefully consider which racial armour to learn. Plus the whole factioning system could take a long time so it would be a real struggle to learn more than one races racial armour.

What do you guys think about this? It would make crafters of certain races in high demand depending on what the buyers want. Each set of racial armour will be highly prized but because they all have different bonuses it'll depend on the play style of the person buying the armour to choose which specific races racial armour they want to buy. It could add a nice bit of depth to the whole crafting system.

I wrote a few more thoughts on racial armour here:

https://www.pantheoncrafters.com/resources/racial-armour.4/

• 44 posts
    April 23, 2017 7:30 AM PDT

loved racial armor in EQ1. I think that it is best that only a dwarf can make dwarven racial armor though. I wouldn't mind if everyone could wear it, but it would make it that much harder to come by a set of racial armor with the stats you want. I also think only master crafters should be able to make it. Racial armor seems to me to be a hard won recipe. I would take questing, faction grinding anf maybe even some group events to get the abality to start failing at your combines.

• 1468 posts
    April 23, 2017 9:47 AM PDT

Armyguy0 said:

loved racial armor in EQ1. I think that it is best that only a dwarf can make dwarven racial armor though. I wouldn't mind if everyone could wear it, but it would make it that much harder to come by a set of racial armor with the stats you want. I also think only master crafters should be able to make it. Racial armor seems to me to be a hard won recipe. I would take questing, faction grinding anf maybe even some group events to get the abality to start failing at your combines.

I didn't do much crafting in EQ. The whole put items in container and hit combine one thousands times to reach max level bored me but it would be cool to have something similar to Vanguard in Pantheon (although obviously with more options added on I know Pantheon is its own game and I'm not looking for it to be a straight copy of Vanguard). I feel that crafting in Pantheon is going to be much more in-depth than it was in EQ. As to whether only the race you play should be able to make that races racial armour I thought it would be quite cool to see an Ogre making Skar armour or an Elf making Gnome armour.

Of course it shouldn't be easy for one race to make another races racial armour and it should only be given after a lot of faction grinding and a long quest but that is half of the fun of getting that ability and if you are a crafter that is known all across the server as a crafter that can make multiple races armour you'd get a lot of business from that which would help the community.

This post was edited by Cromulent at April 23, 2017 9:49 AM PDT
    • 432 posts
    April 24, 2017 11:05 AM PDT

I loved all racial features and obviously armor too . It gave life to the whole notion of racial culture and diversification in which not everybody could do everything .

It has been said on multiple threads - believable and differentiated classes and races are what contributes most to immersion . This is imho where the "modern" MMOs have all failed - races are just different textures and classes are all identical . This leads to bland, grey uninteresting clones .

I certainly hope there will be racial recipes - not only armor but weapons and jewelry too .

• 2138 posts
    April 24, 2017 8:22 PM PDT

I like cultural armor and I always studied it because I thought I could get insight as to what was perfect for my race and class and deity from looking at what stats or focus effects were pronounced or highlighteds on cultural armor. I saw it as a learning tool that also happened to be on good armor or even "perfect" armor.

I feel if anything would be BiS it would be cultural. That would still leave some room for variety with jewelry and weapons. A seperate deity slot would be neat- since you would carry an effigy or idol around that would be BiS. For agnostic or athiest insteed of an idol if could be like dice (chance) or a sextant (science) for a boost in that slot.

• 201 posts
    April 25, 2017 5:24 AM PDT

WTB a Bump feature of threads, I feel like this is super important to alot of different races in the game. Each race from the Lore has gone through some Amazing feats and even some sad back story. I would LOVE to see how each race would incorporate those feats or even emotions into some Racial Armour, Tapastry and even House work.
    I for one would LOVE to see the Gnome's Racial armor.

• 19 posts
    May 1, 2017 2:47 AM PDT

Gnome's racial armor is what they are already wearing, as I believe they no longer have physical forms.  Brilliant and fun idea.  I'm all for seeing racial armor/weapons, though to use another race's cultural items would require some faction building/training I'd think, but possible.

• 112 posts
    May 1, 2017 5:48 AM PDT

Definitely on board with racial items.  ESO took a decent stab at it having an unique style of weapon and armor for each race.  I've heard it mentioned before that resource types will vary from region to region so Elven armor might be silver based while Human's may have a convenient iron source to work with.  Obviously learning racial gear would be limited to the respective race with maybe the exception of a really high faction crafter.  

• 238 posts
    May 10, 2017 4:10 AM PDT

I really liked EQ racial armor even though I was never able to really need it due to getting a really late start in smithing. It was more than just getting some iron and a recipe while being a dwarf. It was like get an dwarven metal bar and temper it with rare liquid that you make combining an ancient dwarven ale with the sweat of twenty dwarven gem miners. It really felt like it was forcing you on a quest of your racial culture in order to make just a single item.

Here is the recipe for just one item

make Brellium Platemail Helm (Smithing: Yield 1, trivial >250), (Restricted) Combine the following in a Stormguard Forge

[[Sorry it looks bad because it does not have the spacing right]]

So ya it was not simple…

This post was edited by Xonth at May 10, 2017 4:12 AM PDT
    • 6 posts
    June 1, 2017 3:56 PM PDT

I love this idea, but I would also carry it forward to weapons as well.  Make Armor and Weapons have a Racial recipes.  Maybe add some Faction grinding to it so that you can get access to a Racial Faction vendor that will start the Quests  :)   I also like the idea of mixing and matching items and sets.  You want those Elf Gloves because they are lighter and make your hands faster so your attack speed is a little faster, but you want those Dwarven boots because they add to your HP's and go good with that Ogre BP that adds Armor and it absorbs some attacks.  

Make this items hard to make and hard to get to, but when one is made it is Epic in form and rare.  

• 1468 posts
    June 2, 2017 10:05 AM PDT

Kecho said:

I love this idea, but I would also carry it forward to weapons as well.  Make Armor and Weapons have a Racial recipes.  Maybe add some Faction grinding to it so that you can get access to a Racial Faction vendor that will start the Quests  :)   I also like the idea of mixing and matching items and sets.  You want those Elf Gloves because they are lighter and make your hands faster so your attack speed is a little faster, but you want those Dwarven boots because they add to your HP's and go good with that Ogre BP that adds Armor and it absorbs some attacks.  

Make this items hard to make and hard to get to, but when one is made it is Epic in form and rare.  

I agree. Weapons would be a cool addition as well. I'd hope that racial armour and weapons would be considered epic in nature because they would be so hard to make. You'd have to do a lot of faction grinding for each faction you wanted to make the racial items of and you'd also need to do quests and what have you in order to get all the ingredients for the racial items. In effect it would be a sort of epic quest for crafters being able to make these items.

• 77 posts
    June 17, 2017 7:00 PM PDT

Armyguy0 said:

Sounds like a great reward for an epic crafting quest related to your race.

• 9 posts
    July 25, 2017 7:08 PM PDT

I would lean towards ESO's cultural crafting styles, Means you can make your armor more personal. If i liked the halfling look of gautlents i could match them with the archai's helms , then the Gnomes chest piece. It shouldn't be race required, but it should require you  to learn from those people, maybe a skill you have to buy, or like most of you have said a epic quest line, and if you want to make them all you would have to complete all of those epic quests, could take 3-6 months to do these things. So if your a black smith and your selling your wears , and you say " can craft all Cultural recipes" It would be a WOW moment for other players that someone had done all that work. As well as yes the mats required to make stuff i believe shouldn't be easy to get , there should always be something that makes it feel like you've completed a difficult recipe that was hard to get the pieces for.