Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Auction House

This topic has been closed.
    • 63 posts
    April 18, 2017 11:02 AM PDT

With the player driven econemy and the amount of social interaction we are expecting from Pantheon, what are your thoughts on an Auction house?

Personally, I see pros and cons.

Pro:

Quickly find an item instead of spaming a chat line for trade.

Find materials in bulk or rare materials from people who may be offline.

Con:

Lack of social interaction, just go to the auction house instead of the crafter.

Easily abused to transfer gold and items through IRL Paid services. This can be done outside an AH but is easier with.

I liked the Bazaar system that FFXI had. I would like to see a system similar to what FFXI had in terms of you sit down in a public area, a bag comes up next to your name and people can buy wears you have. The benifit of this is you can leave messages with the people, make offers, barter, ask for custom stuff...But they had an auction house too. The difference was, if you used the Bazaar you kept 100% of the profits, if you used the AH you paid a high tax.

I don't know, this is one issue I am really torn on when it comes to a game like Patheon, something so standard now to MMORPG's that we don't even think about but when you put it in persepective of what this game is trying to be it doesn't quite fit imo.

What do you think?

• 441 posts
    April 18, 2017 11:07 AM PDT

In before thread lock and your asked to use the search to find topics before reposting =-)

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/search?query=auction+house&type=forum_topic&submit=

This post was edited by Nanfoodle at April 18, 2017 11:09 AM PDT
    • 5 posts
    April 18, 2017 11:11 AM PDT

I recently started playing EQ classic on P99. I didn't realize how much I liked an auction house until I had to buy or sell through /ooc in EC. It is such a pain when selling/buying a particular item could take hours. I may have had that time in college, but 17 years later I no longer do.

I think a auction house type area is critical in modern MMO's. There is a risk of real money transactions but if people are willing to spend money, they will find a way even if there is no auction house.

• 2886 posts
    April 18, 2017 11:18 AM PDT

Burnsmh said:

What do you think?

I think you should use the forum search function before bringing up a topic that has already been beaten to death lol.

In addition to the list of links Nan provided above, I suggest you also check out these ones:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4051/the-non-global-game-economy-is-good-for-every-player

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2165/game-economy

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2765/economy

• 5 posts
    April 18, 2017 11:27 AM PDT

Its understandable that people who have been on these board for awhile are tired of seeing some topics. Others are newer who have not been able to participate in the dicussions. The search function is great but everyone who can post here has contributed monetarily in some way and deserves a voice. Should the old topics be bumped to the front so the newer members can post their opinion? How likely are you to read the posts on page 7 of a thread?

Does every topic need to be unique?

• 441 posts
    April 18, 2017 11:35 AM PDT

No they want people to use the search function because the devs read the forums on topics when they are deciding what to do. So having all our feedback in 1 thread per topic helps them find all the info they need. Please post away on any topic but if there is a thread about your topic, please post it there. 

• 63 posts
    April 18, 2017 11:41 AM PDT

I actually have been using the search function. When I typed in the keywords Auction House and Bazaar I found three threads that were not explicitly related to what I was discussing in this thread.

Maybe I am not using the same keywords, maybe I am not finding the threads as relvant to the thought process I am having when I post the idea.

DEATH TO THE Auction House!!!

About wanting to totally remove it.

(Idea) A Replacement to Auction Houses

About the everquest bazaar, and about replacing not incorporating AH's. While similar not on point with the general idea of keeping both.

House and Guild Banners/Emblems?

Not even close.

I'm not trying to be a pain by posting threads, but I don't think its similar enough to post in another one. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

• 2886 posts
    April 18, 2017 11:47 AM PDT

Nanfoodle said:

No they want people to use the search function because the devs read the forums on topics when they are deciding what to do. So having all our feedback in 1 thread per topic helps them find all the info they need. Please post away on any topic but if there is a thread about your topic, please post it there. 

Precisely. It's much better to bump an old thread. If there's a topic you're interested in, use the search function to find an existing thread on it and then post your thoughts there rather than cluttering the forums with tons of new repeat threads. The devs are good about reading entire threads so you can trust that your voice will be heard. But it's much easier for them if they only have to read one or two threads. In fact, since the most recent page is what pops up when you click on a thread, sometimes it's the earlier pages that actually get overlooked. But anyway, I post links to try to streamline discussion - the opposite of trying to silence people's voices. There's nothing wrong with necroing an old thread if you have something to add to it.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 18, 2017 12:07 PM PDT
    • 5 posts
    April 18, 2017 11:52 AM PDT

Nanfoodle and Bazgrim, your reasoning is sound and makes sense. Maybe I have been on too many forums but from your intitial replies, it sounded like the typical "shut up and search" posts I have seen.

• 2886 posts
    April 18, 2017 12:05 PM PDT

Abrams said:

Nanfoodle and Bazgrim, your reasoning is sound and makes sense. Maybe I have been on too many forums but from your intitial replies, it sounded like the typical "shut up and search" posts I have seen.

I know what you mean. I certainly did not mean to come across that way. The topic of auction houses in particular has especially been exhausted many times over - the death to the auction house thread (see below - just one of the several threads on it) had over 30 PAGES of comments before being locked. I'd be quite surprised if there was anything new that hasn't already been said about auction houses, although I guess it's possible. In general, if someone is just trying to get a feel for the community's opinion on something, the best way to do it is usually to look to existing threads. Even though it's sometimes a pain to read pages and pages of existing comments. However, in most cases, there is still plenty of room for healthy and constructive discussion, so it is by no means discouraged.

Burnsmh said:

I actually have been using the search function. When I typed in the keywords Auction House and Bazaar I found three threads that were not explicitly related to what I was discussing in this thread.

Maybe I am not using the same keywords, maybe I am not finding the threads as relvant to the thought process I am having when I post the idea.

DEATH TO THE Auction House!!!

About wanting to totally remove it.

(Idea) A Replacement to Auction Houses

About the everquest bazaar, and about replacing not incorporating AH's. While similar not on point with the general idea of keeping both.

House and Guild Banners/Emblems?

Not even close.

I'm not trying to be a pain by posting threads, but I don't think its similar enough to post in another one. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

I'd say that the second link you gave is plenty relevant. Especially if you look beyond just the title and read the whole thread. The pros and cons of the auction house are discussed and you'd be more than welcome to add your thoughts. If someone starts a thread suggesting that a particular feature not be in the game, but you feel that it should be, that's the perfect place to give your opinions. Having some back-and-forth and pushback is essential to improving ideas. It's not expected that everyone agree. That's how proper discussion works :)

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 18, 2017 12:21 PM PDT
    • 441 posts
    April 18, 2017 12:12 PM PDT

Abrams said:

As I said in my post its not a shut up, its a please add to the topic but do it where the devs will read it. Whats the point of giving your feedback if it ends up being missed. They have set up this forum in a way and we need to respect that. You have been granted access to theses forums as someone who has support this game in some way. Please post, I love seeing this forum active. Im new here myself, only been here since around Jan 2017. 

This post was edited by Nanfoodle at April 18, 2017 12:31 PM PDT
    • 63 posts
    April 18, 2017 12:20 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

I'd say that the second link you gave is plenty relevant. Especially if you look beyond just the title and read the whole thread. The pros and cons of the auction house are discussed and you'd be more than welcome to add your thoughts. If someone starts a thread suggesting that a particular feature not be in the game, but you feel that it should be, that's the perfect place to give your opinions. Having some back-and-forth and pushback is essential to improving ideas. It's not expected that everyone agree. That's how proper discussion works :)

Well, as I did not think that the original post and main point of the thread was relvant enough to the comparison/point I was trying to bring into discussion I went ahead and made a new thread, as to not change the subject of what the original poster intended his/her specific thought to be discussed and disceted thus derailing the post to discuss my idea instead of the original reason it was opened.

But as this thread has now been totally derailed from my original post by other members attempting to moderate the thread, it might as well go ahead and get closed out.

I will stop making new threads and focus on only updating threads I see to avoid this type of backlash. Sorry for inconveniencing you.

• 2886 posts
    April 18, 2017 12:27 PM PDT

Burnsmh said:

Bazgrim said:

Well, as I did not think that the original post and main point of the thread was relvant enough to the comparison/point I was trying to bring into discussion I went ahead and made a new thread, as to not change the subject of what the original poster intended his/her specific thought to be discussed and disceted thus derailing the post to discuss my idea instead of the original reason it was opened.

But as this thread has now been totally derailed from my original post by other members attempting to moderate the thread, it might as well go ahead and get closed out.

I will stop making new threads and focus on only updating threads I see to avoid this type of backlash. Sorry for inconveniencing you.

Ah, well it looks like you're both talking about the pros and cons of auction houses and bazaars, so I don't think anyone would say you're drifting off topic lol. But if you started going on some rant about how your local grocery store just doubled the price of chunky peanut butter, then that's a different story :P

But by all means, if you have an idea that you truly cannot find any existing topics that are at all related to it, post it so we can hear about it!

No worries man. Don't take it personally. It's not backlash. We're not trying to moderate the thread - that's Kilsin's job. I know you're new here, so we're just trying to help get you integrated so that we can all have as fantastic and fruitful discussions as possible to help Pantheon be the best game it can be! :)

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 18, 2017 12:38 PM PDT
    • 399 posts
    April 18, 2017 12:37 PM PDT

@Burnsmh

I think you may be a little over sensitive here.  Nanfoodle and Bazgrim are merely pointing out that even though your exact question may not have come up as a result of a search, reading related topics will invariably include discussions about the same issues and questions you may have.

As such, the comments abovementioned people made are not personal but informative as to the intent of this forum.

This post was edited by Durp at April 18, 2017 12:38 PM PDT
    • 63 posts
    April 18, 2017 1:45 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Burnsmh said:

What do you think?

Bazgrim said:

I think you should use the forum search function before bringing up a topic that has already been beaten to death lol.

In addition to the list of links Nan provided above, I suggest you also check out these ones:

Bazgrim said:

It's not backlash.

Taking my question that was written in context to my comments and being very condescending about it by saying "I think you should use the forum search function before bringing up a topic that has already been beaten to death" the lol doesn't make it cute or nice...Regards of how you read it in your head with tone, it doesn't sound polite.

Not only that but it comes off rude and embarasses the original poster. It makes me not want to start threads when each one you find a thread somewhat similar and decide to let me know its there and I missed it in the search. Maybe I didn't use the same keywords, maybe I didnt find that thread or read that far into it before posting.

Nanfoodle said:

In before thread lock and your asked to use the search to find topics before reposting =-)

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/search?query=auction+house&type=forum_topic&submit=

Nan was actually really polite about it.

That being said I know I've messed up a few post that I've done that other post are the same. But I personally, my opinion, is that when I posted this it was not similar enough to warrent going into that thread and again, in my opinion, possibly derail the original posters idea.

Thus I started my own thread. Not to gain attention from developers (I honestly didnt know the devs looked at the forums) and not to clutter up the forums...But because in MY OPINION it was the proper thing to do.

Based on my OWN perception of the threads I saw in the search I made a decision to make a new thread. Thats on me, if you disagree with it send me a PM or do like Nan did. Fine, Im cool with that, its whatever. But don't back seat moderate the threads because you can find similar things and disagree with my perception of the thread, leave that up to the moderators. Instead this thread is now totally away from the original topic and probally up for deletion.

Im not mad. I won't lie Im a little upset but not overly so or I would be a lot less polite.

Its whatever though, I will stop making new threads because each time I do you tend to link other threads that are 'similar' in your opinion to what Im talking about instead of just contributing.

Makes me not want to post new stuff to be honest.

Anyway, I'm done posting in this thread...Im going to go say hi to newbies and work on the Wiki.

This post was edited by Burnsmh at April 18, 2017 1:46 PM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    April 18, 2017 1:56 PM PDT

I'd be happy to send you a PM to clear things up man, no worries.

• 1714 posts
    April 18, 2017 2:38 PM PDT

I don't want an AH system at all, but if there has to be one I'd prefer to see a personal store system like EQ has in the Bazaar, than some fully automated system like WOW. 

Also, @burnsmh, you don't really think the 34 page death to the auction house thread was entirely composed of people who agree with the OP, do you? 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at April 18, 2017 2:41 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    April 18, 2017 3:15 PM PDT

I will have to close this folks, there are several threads that relate directly to this topic, it has been discussed a lot and we cannot keep adding to the list of Auction House threads, especially when we don't have any official news on this yet.

Please feel free to join in on the already active threads so we can keep the information consolidated.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at May 2, 2017 11:31 PM PDT