Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Races, factions and bears! Oh my!

• 63 posts
    April 17, 2017 11:15 AM PDT

So, I looked through what I could find with the search function on the forum. 

And I looked through the FAQ and a few other places and I didn't see it. But...I am really bad at finding things as I've said before.

From what I understand, and please correct me if I am wrong, but there will be factions in the game for races.

So, just for example if I am a Human and I go to a Skar city I would be KOS by the guards.

This raises a few important questions. Again, if its been said in another thread and I didn't see it please let me know.

1.) Will quest be race and/or faction specific? If I am a Gnome and I am in a Human city, even though we are aligned I might not be able to get a quest there? Or if I am a Human and I pass a Skar civilian will I not get the quest because we are not the same faction alignment?

2.) Can I group with Player Characters outside of my faction? I want to roll a Human Warrior but my wife really wants to play an Ogre Shaman. Oh no! We're not the same faciton! Can we still group up and fight mobs?

3.) Will certian races do certian roles better? For example will the stats of a Halfling Rogue be better than that of a Human Rogue because of their small size and natural skills? Will the stats of an Ogre Warrior be better than that of a Elf Warrior because of their war like race and stature?

4.) Is Faction Swaping going to be a thing? If I kill a bunch of my home cities guards I am going to lose fame with my own faction. But if I do so, word might spread in the oposing faction of my exploits and I can join them. Will this be a thing or can we not kill our own guards?

• 1468 posts
    April 17, 2017 11:23 AM PDT

Burnsmh said:

So, I looked through what I could find with the search function on the forum. 

And I looked through the FAQ and a few other places and I didn't see it. But...I am really bad at finding things as I've said before.

From what I understand, and please correct me if I am wrong, but there will be factions in the game for races.

So, just for example if I am a Human and I go to a Skar city I would be KOS by the guards.

This raises a few important questions. Again, if its been said in another thread and I didn't see it please let me know.

1.) Will quest be race and/or faction specific? If I am a Gnome and I am in a Human city, even though we are aligned I might not be able to get a quest there? Or if I am a Human and I pass a Skar civilian will I not get the quest because we are not the same faction alignment?

2.) Can I group with Player Characters outside of my faction? I want to roll a Human Warrior but my wife really wants to play an Ogre Shaman. Oh no! We're not the same faciton! Can we still group up and fight mobs?

3.) Will certian races do certian roles better? For example will the stats of a Halfling Rogue be better than that of a Human Rogue because of their small size and natural skills? Will the stats of an Ogre Warrior be better than that of a Elf Warrior because of their war like race and stature?

4.) Is Faction Swaping going to be a thing? If I kill a bunch of my home cities guards I am going to lose fame with my own faction. But if I do so, word might spread in the oposing faction of my exploits and I can join them. Will this be a thing or can we not kill our own guards?

1) It'll probably work like EQ. If you don't have the faction to get a quest somewhere you can kill enemies of that faction or do quests that don't require such high faction to improve your faction until you finally have enough to do the quest you want.

2) Yes you'll be able to group and guild with people outside of your faction. This isn't World of Warcraft here.

3) I don't know but certain races will probably have certain stat boosts which lend themselves to certain roles better. Again much like EQ.

4) While it might not work exactly as has been said. You can certainly kill NPCs for faction and if you don't mind trashing your home town faction in order to increase your faction with another city then you should be able to do that.

Edit: That should be right but someone else might be able to provide more detailed info.

This post was edited by Cromulent at April 17, 2017 11:23 AM PDT
    • 422 posts
    April 17, 2017 11:24 AM PDT

Burnsmh said:

VR has said that faction and alignment will pay a large roll in this type of interaction. Assume that, yes, if you do not meet the faction or alignment requirements you cannot perform that quest.

I doubt faction extends to player interactions. There won't be PvP for the most part so there is no reason for a player to not group with another. Unless you RP

While we have absolutely no idea how race will play into class dynamics, from past experiences with EQ and Vanguard and the way VR seems to be approching the game play, I think it would be safe to assume yes. Some races will most likely be slightly better suited for one class than another might be. Again, this is nothing more than assumption as we have no idea at this time.

Pretty sure this is a safe bet. VR seems to want faction and alignment to be fluid. Nothing is set in stone so you can gain and lose faction with groups in the game based on your actions.

See also:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4254/faction-grinding

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5131/affecting-faction

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3395/unreversable-faction-hits

This post was edited by kellindil at April 17, 2017 11:30 AM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    April 17, 2017 12:04 PM PDT

To get you up to speed, I suggest you read through the FAQ in its entirety here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/ It will answer most of your questions.

From the FAQ (4.6) "Yes. While there are some nuances to faction and alignment adjustment, evil races such as the Ogre, Skar, and Dark Myr will have a hard time getting close to good race cities. This is not set in stone, however, as you can adjust your faction and alignment through your actions in the game world."

However, as others have said, race will not strictly affect your ability to group and interact with other players.

You may also find this thread interesting: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5125/betray-your-race-option/view/page/1

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 17, 2017 12:12 PM PDT
    • 72 posts
    April 17, 2017 3:43 PM PDT

There's something missing... ah yes!

There much better.  Be sure to to not leave the bear hanging, you wont like it when the bear is left hanging. :3

Jokes Aside.  It seems that quests will not work in the same manner as they do in newer MMO games.  Rather than picking up a quest, a single person will perceive a potential plotline which can trigger a meta event that the player and their friends can follow.   So long as the receiver of said race and/or class type who perceived the potential quest remains with friends and party members, they should beable to benifit from the meta as well.  I doubt you would need to return to the original NPC to receive a reward, since it seems the many of the rewards in Pantheon come moreso from what, or more importantly who, the player can find in dungeons.  Correct me if I'm wrong.