Forums » Pantheon Classes

Gear Dependent Classes?

• 22 posts
    April 6, 2017 5:16 AM PDT

Like in Everquest, are some classes in this game going to be much more gear dependent than others? Like a Warrior compared to a Wizard for example.

I was considering making a melee class as my first character but I remembered people usually save them for later when they can twink them out.

This post was edited by Draulius at April 6, 2017 5:16 AM PDT
    • 69 posts
    April 6, 2017 8:31 AM PDT

I guess what do you mean by "Dependent"? I played with many warriors who performed better than warriors with better gear - it was harder for them; they had to play perfectly; and there were some figthts we had to bypass until the warrior could take more hits. Gear is important, but skill often plays a bigger role (or at least it should). I suppose if you are specifically referencing endgame content than gear choices will often have a great impact, but once again I would argue that it is equally important for all classes to be geared correctly and at their best for that part of the game. In my experience, having a warrior that is well-geared is important - it's nice to have that big shield in front of your group, BUT if your dps is pewpewing in the back and a 5min fight turns into a 30min because the dps runs weak, you fail just as if the warrior dies after a few hits, or the healer cant sustain healz.  

All that being said: play the class that gives you satisfaction. Put the work into mastering that class. Gear will come when it comes. Others you play with should understand that class, its role(s), and be understanding of the progress it takes. Will you be able to do endgame content when your warrior hits max level? Hopefully not! But neither should any class just arriving at that juncture. Will you be able to play your warrior from lvl 1 to end? YES! Will you be able to do solo & group content to keep prgrossing your character? YES!

I will also add that when playing a class while they "need" gear will often force you to master that class sooner. You learn how to use that class and all their abilities to their max because you dont have the gear to let you power through a problem...i.e. When i first started playing my bard in EQ1. I worked up as quick as I could to play with my friends. I worked hard to get fading memories, but with my current gear I could only fade 2-3 times in a short period. Well, I was on pulling duty. I wanted to impress my raiding friends and work into a spot in their roster. SO, i had to figure out how to break up camps with the least amount of Fades as possible to avoid a medbreak every other pull. I used other songs to augment my pulls. I learned how to seperate with charm, mez, and snare. Eventually, my gear became better and I could fade more times. I no longer needed all of those other "Tricks." BUT my pulling skill improved so much, and I learned how to maximize all my skills, so that when we came across other camps in future that provided uniqe pulls, I split with no problem. 

Great question! I hope others bring in helpful insight.

• 2886 posts
    April 6, 2017 9:10 AM PDT

See this thread: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3833/gear-dependency

Remember you can use the forum search function to find answers to many of your questions before starting a new thread.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 6, 2017 9:11 AM PDT