Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Upcoming Kidney Transplant

• 41 posts
    April 4, 2017 10:10 AM PDT

Several people that know me have asked about my upcoming kidney transplant and the events leading up to it.

I'm 44 years old and up until the beginning of November was a pretty big outdoors type of person and what I thought was pretty healthy.  All of the issues started in September after I got back from Scuba diving in Honduras and from what I can describe, sounds really close to flu-like.  I was sick to my stomach, lost a lot of weight and pretty run-down in general.  I kept working however and the symptoms would disappear and reappear over the next month but nothing encountered took me out of work.

It was not until I was scheduled for a work trip to Nokia in Texas that I found out what was really going on.  To keep from infecting people on the plane, I went to the urgent care to get checked out and get some antibiotics.  What we found though was 6% kidney function and a reason for me to start doing dialysis three times a week :(

I have kept working through all of this and a long time friend has stepped up and has offered me a kidney which will happen on April 27th :)  My kidneys are not getting any better and no one can really root cause what went wrong so suddenly.

It is what it is though and I'm extremely thankful for all the friends and family that have supported me through all of this :)

For those that want to follow along with what is going on, we have a Facebook site as well as a charitable donation site running right now and will have a big fundraiser Happy Hour in Herndon VA on April 6th !!

https://www.facebook.com/events/404516506576813/?acontext=%7B%22ref%22%3A%2229%22%2C%22ref_notif_type%22%3A%22plan_user_associated%22%2C%22action_history%22%3A%22null%22%7D¬if_t=plan_user_associated¬if_id=1491271326310561

https://www.helphopelive.org/campaign/12624

Thanks,

Kai

• 9115 posts
    April 4, 2017 4:22 PM PDT

That is a tough situation Kai, I wish you all the best my friend and hope that you have a successful transplant and speedy recovery! You must have a very nice friend to be doing this for you, be sure to keep us updated with your progress so we can cheer you on, I hope it all goes well man :)

• 208 posts
    April 4, 2017 4:49 PM PDT

damn man. I wish you good luck getting through this. I have spinal issues myself that has already had me hooked through 3 very difficult surgeries with more to come in a year or 2. And I worry about my kidneys due to the various pain management meds I have to take so have to constantly have them and my liver checked.

But anyway, this isn't about me. I sent some money your way. Will send some more when my tax refund comes in.

Good luck bud.

This post was edited by Bluefyre at April 4, 2017 4:49 PM PDT
    • 41 posts
    April 4, 2017 7:21 PM PDT

Bluefyre said:

damn man. I wish you good luck getting through this. I have spinal issues myself that has already had me hooked through 3 very difficult surgeries with more to come in a year or 2. And I worry about my kidneys due to the various pain management meds I have to take so have to constantly have them and my liver checked.

But anyway, this isn't about me. I sent some money your way. Will send some more when my tax refund comes in.

Good luck bud.

Thanks man !  Save your cash for your own problems and let me know if you need anything !!!

• 432 posts
    April 5, 2017 7:44 PM PDT

kaifus said:

Several people that know me have asked about my upcoming kidney transplant and the events leading up to it.

I'm 44 years old and up until the beginning of November was a pretty big outdoors type of person and what I thought was pretty healthy.  All of the issues started in September after I got back from Scuba diving in Honduras and from what I can describe, sounds really close to flu-like.  I was sick to my stomach, lost a lot of weight and pretty run-down in general.  I kept working however and the symptoms would disappear and reappear over the next month but nothing encountered took me out of work.

It was not until I was scheduled for a work trip to Nokia in Texas that I found out what was really going on.  To keep from infecting people on the plane, I went to the urgent care to get checked out and get some antibiotics.  What we found though was 6% kidney function and a reason for me to start doing dialysis three times a week :(

I have kept working through all of this and a long time friend has stepped up and has offered me a kidney which will happen on April 27th :)  My kidneys are not getting any better and no one can really root cause what went wrong so suddenly.

It is what it is though and I'm extremely thankful for all the friends and family that have supported me through all of this :)

For those that want to follow along with what is going on, we have a Facebook site as well as a charitable donation site running right now and will have a big fundraiser Happy Hour in Herndon VA on April 6th !!

https://www.facebook.com/events/404516506576813/?acontext=%7B%22ref%22%3A%2229%22%2C%22ref_notif_type%22%3A%22plan_user_associated%22%2C%22action_history%22%3A%22null%22%7D¬if_t=plan_user_associated¬if_id=1491271326310561

https://www.helphopelive.org/campaign/12624

Thanks,

Kai

Make a speedy recovery and come back to us soon!

*hugs*

-Todd

• 208 posts
    April 6, 2017 4:04 PM PDT

kaifus said:

Bluefyre said:

Good luck bud.

Thanks man !  Save your cash for your own problems and let me know if you need anything !!!

No worries. I have great insurance being a government employee so I am happy to donate to someone in need.

• 170 posts
    April 7, 2017 6:10 AM PDT

Best Wishes on upcoming transplant Kaifus! 

• 511 posts
    April 7, 2017 11:19 AM PDT

I must confess, I read the title and was hoping you where sealing a kidney to pay off the rest of the money VR needs to finish the game. I am sorry you have to go through this and am not sure if you are a Christian or not but know that I will be praying for you that we get a good positive outcome from the surgery. Your friend is also very generous and it is so awesome that you are able to have someone there for you when you need it.

• 81 posts
    April 7, 2017 1:29 PM PDT

I'm glad they were able to figure out what was going on before it was too late.

Best of luck on the transplant/surgery Kaifus!

• 542 posts
    April 8, 2017 1:16 PM PDT

Hope all will be well

Or that you'll be able to steal a kidney of someone too fluffy and lazy to notice

<333

• 3016 posts
    April 13, 2017 9:36 AM PDT

Wishing you a speedy recovery Kaifus, hope all goes well with the transplant.  Chin up!  Positive thoughts.

Cana

• 3852 posts
    April 13, 2017 9:55 AM PDT

Good luck - spouse worked for a company in the transplant business (not kidneys) many years ago and I know it isn't pleasant - but if it is successful that will suffice.

• 213 posts
    April 18, 2017 2:38 AM PDT

Wishing you the best of health soon, and a speedy recovery!

• 63 posts
    April 18, 2017 7:04 AM PDT

Wishing you all the best Kai!

Get better and come hang out with us!

I don't have a lot right now in terms of monies, but I gave what I could, my wife has had unknown breathing problems for quite some had has undergone MANY test, seen several doctors and has undergone 2 surgeries in the past 2 years. I know how tough it can be man, I do not take your plight lightly.

If you need anything, if you want an ear feel free to PM me man, we can set up a skype call or something if you want to vent.

This post was edited by Burnsmh at April 18, 2017 7:05 AM PDT
    • 41 posts
    April 29, 2017 8:28 AM PDT
    All,

The surgery went amazingly well on the 27th. Both the donor and myself are up and mobile and should be going home tomorrow. Thanks for all the well wishes and can't wait to watch the stream on a real monitor :-)

Kai
    • 208 posts
    April 29, 2017 10:13 AM PDT

Great news. Glad you are ok.

• 126 posts
    April 29, 2017 12:53 PM PDT

FanTAStik news!! Praying for non-eventful recovery for you both! (HUG)

• 63 posts
    April 29, 2017 2:56 PM PDT

kaifus said: All, The surgery went amazingly well on the 27th. Both the donor and myself are up and mobile and should be going home tomorrow. Thanks for all the well wishes and can't wait to watch the stream on a real monitor :-) Kai

Outstanding man, so glad you're alright!

Roll up your T.V. and plug your computer into it, lay in bed, watch that stream! lol

• April 30, 2017 7:59 PM PDT

kaifus said: All, The surgery went amazingly well on the 27th. Both the donor and myself are up and mobile and should be going home tomorrow. Thanks for all the well wishes and can't wait to watch the stream on a real monitor :-) Kai

I can only imagine how much of a relief this is for both of you.  I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly and you are both get back to feeling like yourselves soon.   We've got another treat on Tuesday for you to watch :)

• 81 posts
    May 1, 2017 8:06 AM PDT

Awesome!  Thanks for sharing the great news!  Good luck on your continued recovery! 

If I were you I might want to wait to watch the next stream,  no telling what the potential excitement/awesomeness of the Tower of the Reckless Magician might do to your still recovering body.  : ) 

• 9115 posts
    May 1, 2017 3:39 PM PDT

That is great to hear my friend! :D

• 3016 posts
    May 1, 2017 5:19 PM PDT

Wonderful news!!  Glad you shared that with us.. now you're ready to enjoy life AND Pantheon when it comes. :)  Very happy for you! :)

Cana

• 93 posts
    May 3, 2017 2:51 AM PDT

Hope everything continues to go well for you and your friend!

Great to hear a shoutout for you on the stream.  :)

All the best.
    Vault