Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

All those critters you'd like to see.

• 432 posts
    April 3, 2017 8:35 PM PDT

Hello all,

Fun topic time!  You know all those fun little critters out in the world? The ones you can smack once and they get squashed? You know what I’m talking about. Those non-aggro really weak creatures that fill the world! What would you like to see? What can you imagine?

I of course love Turtles and Tortoises. I would love to walk by a pond in the game and look over at the bank and see some little bitey turtles going about their thing or sunning themselves. Or see a tortoise in a desert environment and as I draw near it would haul back to its burrow. It would also be neat to have squirrels that climb trees. I know that’s asking for a lot, but how amazing would that be to have the ‘critters’ in the game interacting? Moles going underground when you get close … etc. Fun to think about!

-Todd

• 690 posts
    April 3, 2017 9:08 PM PDT

tehtawd said:

Hello all,

Fun topic time!  You know all those fun little critters out in the world? The ones you can smack once and they get squashed? You know what I’m talking about. Those non-aggro really weak creatures that fill the world! What would you like to see? What can you imagine?

Squirrels. Beavers. Prairie Dogs.

It's fun to encounter the critters in the world. So long as there's not a race based too much off of the critter (as burynai are to badgers) I think we aught to have it.

It's just one of those details that brings the area to life. Depending on how far they want to go with crafting and in particular material gathering, throwing in dens for various critters that have crafting materials, or just putting crafting materials on the critters, might be cool too. 

I can't decide if I'd like critters to be hostile sometimes. I had a friend who had a mother goose outside of his work for a few weeks. Apparantly they can get rather feisty.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at April 3, 2017 9:11 PM PDT
    • 156 posts
    April 3, 2017 9:53 PM PDT

I love environmental mobs. Rabbits, birds, squirrels, foxes, bugs of all sorts...they also make for useful raw materials in crafting!

• 248 posts
    April 4, 2017 3:48 AM PDT

Tree climbing snakes!

Enjoying a nice stroll among the appletrees? Take care not to get kicked in the face xD

Also frogs, ducks, badgers...

-sorte.

• 144 posts
    April 4, 2017 6:25 AM PDT

The snakes on P99 still kick :(

Legless... and they kick

Not going near those appletrees.

• 441 posts
    April 4, 2017 6:39 AM PDT

Bixy Bee's I think they were called. No matter your level they would come after you. Found it funny talking to lowbe's and having 3-4 B-Bee's on me. I would love to see some mobs just always attack no matter your level. 

• 2886 posts
    April 4, 2017 6:49 AM PDT

I suppose little details like that can really add a lot of life to the world:

- Varities of birds and butterflies

- Dogs/cats in towns and cities

- Foxes

- Deer

- Fish

- Scorpions

- Lizards

I could go on haha. I think they should be placed pretty judiciously though. Don't want to world to look too cluttered.

• 13 posts
    April 4, 2017 7:21 AM PDT

It would be nice for small spiders to dwell in the darker places of the world.  Cunching underfoot as you walk down that dubious stone hallway.

• 3852 posts
    April 4, 2017 7:22 AM PDT

I would hope most of those eye candy animals would not be attackable.

To walk down a forest path and murder a bunny for kicks would simply be ....hare razing.

• 1303 posts
    April 4, 2017 7:59 AM PDT

There's a single-player survival game called The Forest. One of the coolest emersion things I saw in that game was a pond deep in a forest where a flock of geese would occaisionally fly in and land. Just brought so much life and realism to the spot. 

Funny part is, I hate geese IRL. But I love that ambiance in the game. 

• 144 posts
    April 4, 2017 8:07 AM PDT

Always enjoyed seeing critters. NPC's are not the only thing that make a world feel "alive"

Having said that, the usual critters would be cool, but I always liked the "on-fire squirrels" in rift. They always made me laugh and want one for a pet... so much potential for RP comedy

• 162 posts
    April 4, 2017 8:33 AM PDT

Snakes that kick! Oh wait....

No what really drags me into a game is when the environment matches where a creature would be. So if you are near a sewer rats, in a cave, bats, really anywhere wolves, and don't forget spiders lol. 

Skunks were a cool addition to EQ, I loved seeing them around and they sprayed you lol. Deer for meat and skin, things like that, they just need to be into the right environment. 

Oh beetles, and ants would be cool too. I don't think you can go anywhere and not find some type of beetle or ant.

• 319 posts
    April 4, 2017 8:48 AM PDT

I would like to see the random critters roaming the zones that you cannot possibly kill at your level  even with a group. like the griffs in e commons or the sand giants in no ro or oasis. They really kept you on your toes. It was nice haveing a few level 35's in zone to help clear them out and save your bacon.

• 162 posts
    April 4, 2017 8:56 AM PDT

Isaya said:

I would like to see the random critters roaming the zones that you cannot possibly kill at your level  even with a group. like the griffs in e commons or the sand giants in no ro or oasis. They really kept you on your toes. It was nice haveing a few level 35's in zone to help clear them out and save your bacon.

Lol, then Cazel was born to torment all of orc highway and the docks...

• 319 posts
    April 4, 2017 9:53 AM PDT

Dubah said:

Isaya said:

Lol, then Cazel was born to torment all of orc highway and the docks...

Yes he was. there was no sand giant in oasis that scared me after level 40 except Cazel. I tried to take him on at level 50 and had no chance at him. He resisted most of my spells and when I could snare hime my dots were not enough to get him down in health. Seemed he had a regen property that was awesome.  So I bought him a skin of wine and just kept away from him

This post was edited by Isaya at April 4, 2017 9:54 AM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    April 4, 2017 9:59 AM PDT

Isaya said:

Me too and fortunately, VR already said there will be things like that. But that's like the opposite of what this thread is about lol

• 1281 posts
    April 4, 2017 10:07 AM PDT

I wouldn't mind seeing fodder type animals around the world. Maybe level 1 bunnies even if they are only there to harvest for crafting or food.

• 109 posts
    April 4, 2017 12:33 PM PDT

I want them to think outside the box. one of the things i enjoy about WoW is they don't conform to Just conventional mob types. 

I want fantastic beasts, mythical, DIFFERENT.

yes, they can also have turtles, bears, dogs and crocs etc. but i also want things I haven't seen before. Why do we always have to have JUST snakes, rabbits, and wolves.

I get that they can typical animals that can be skinned etc. but that doesn't mean we can't also have some amazing new creatures that lurk in every corner of the world. 

Think of a Clefthoof from wow, a giant beast that looks like a Rhino and and elephant had a baby. 

Naga - terrifying snake-humanoid mixures

Talbulk looks like a horse, a goat, and a gazell had a crazy baby

instead of a human looking Giant (EQ1 style) have some that look like Durn The Hungerer (Gronn) 

I am going to attach from photos. They are just examples. Some of them are giant sized. it appears that most games think that the bigger, the scarier.. not true. 

Some of these mobs would be terrifying even if they were very small. 

Again, it doesn't have to be mobs that look exactly like Any of those above. I am just saying. Give of some creatures that are terrifying looking that AREN'T just cats and dogs and bears. 

These mobs also can give you freedom to invent new mechanics that players won't expect.  You know a bear is going to rake, maul, bite. 

That last monster I posted can claw, bite, etc. but is he going to MULE KICK Kilsin the rogue who is trying to backstab.... 

Throw us Curveballs.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at April 4, 2017 9:29 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    April 4, 2017 4:10 PM PDT

I have cleaned up your posts Niam, please copy the image from the source and paste it into your post, use the enter key to add a space then another image below the first one and continue as needed but keeping in mind we do not like many images on these development forums. These forums are not ideal and it is suggested that everyone avoid using the "upload" or "attach" feature for their posts and instead just find the image or upload it to a site like Imgur and then copy/paste it into the reply box to post it.

• 187 posts
    April 4, 2017 6:20 PM PDT

I would like to see creatures, as someone else said, that go with the environment. Not only creatures, but NPCs, even. Different from the standard.

I know, everybody's tired of EQ, but here I go anyway. :p

In Halas, sled bears and sled dogs would have been great. Bear pens not only for fighting bears, but trained bears, too.

In Qeynos, it would have been cool to have gnoll refugees. There are few games that make use of the presence of refugees, but in almost all wars, there are some, and typically from the other side, even. So gnolls who don't agree with the policies of the local gnoll population might be screted away in the human town by sympathizers.

Not EQ, admittedly, but I loved dragonhawks in Eversong woods (WoW). Things like this are great.

Back to EQ, though, I laughed so hard when I saw an orc pawn in EC beating the stuffing out of a bixie. The Bixie would attack anything and everything, but when orc pawn was whaling on her, she was running around in terror.

The Fae Drakes in EQ, in Lfay. Pretty, very pretty!

I'd like to see things like dragonflies and butterflies and birds flying overhead. I'd also like to see annoying ones. Seriously. Crows. Seagulls. Monkeys. Creatures that won't leave you alone but are too fast for you to kill, haha. I watched a flock of seagulls tearing open a bag of someone's chips and just go nuts on it, screaming and fighting each other and pretty soon they had cleared the whole area of human beings. ;p

Along the same lines as the dragonhawks, put in some things that are so hideous they're adorable to some people. Those nasty, horrifying, slobbering, slavering wrinkle dogs. Some people actually like these demonic creatures. I love to hate them.

Food animals in pens that people can't kill, but you can milk them (unless the farmer catches you at it). Or they lay eggs. Or they nip your ankles. And maybe the harmless flock of domesticated slugs have a huge slug-rooster that will try to bite your face off and chase you off the property.

Your garden-variety fox trying to steal hens, chickens, or even grapes (nod to Aesop's fable, yes please). A dog in a manger (back to Aesop's fables). I'd love to see critters be a nod to popular mythos. Maybe an actual sea sponge named bob (and I don't even like that stupid show) or a sea sponge that bobs on the water (might be a bit subtle :p). Perfect opportunity to be fun and silly yet still remain in the serious mein of the game.

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts on creatures of whatever type.