Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Favorite game sounds?

• 69 posts
    March 26, 2017 5:03 AM PDT

I know there are people who play games with no sound. They all have their reasons, but for me, not playing with game sounds kills the immersiveness of the player experience. 

Wth that said, what are your favorite sounds in games?

My two personal favorites are the leveling "Ding" (which scared the hell out of me the first time I heard it) and the sound you hear when melee attacking cactus mobs in EQ.  I first heard the cactus sound during my first group in The Overthere.  The sound when meleeing a cactus is just so satisfying to me.  Anyone else remember and like that sound also?  Sorry that I can't find a link to that particular sound.

• 319 posts
    March 26, 2017 7:59 AM PDT

I find sound to be a neccesity. Some people like to hear thier music etc but to get really emmersed into the game you need the sound on. The sounds i disliked most was the griffins in e commons as they tore you up when you were a newbie. The ding to level was always welcome and the cackling od skellies was cringing to me, but fun when I could just wipe the floors with them. Also the thump-thump-thump of hill giants chaseing you was a favorite of mine. You knew they were always behind you and close  so don't stop to look to see if they were still there.

• 668 posts
    March 26, 2017 8:08 AM PDT

I am with you, I always have the sounds going as it is the way it was intended.  It adds to my immersive gameplay more than anything, especially environmental sounds effects as you are caustiously passing through an area.

Here is a list of things I remember:

EQ-

The DING (of course), The AA horns, Ferrott night life, A Hill gIants distant footsteps, Kelethen theme music, Steamfont theme music, footsteps in the snow, a soft wind, nighttime: owl hoot, zombie moan, bat flutter, etc.., love inventory manipulation noises from objects (coin, bags, different objects) Or the swallowing sound when consuming potions or water.

Minecraft has a LOT of good sounds: Music that occasionally kicks in (piano), Shooting an arrow or being hit by one, chest being opened, lava sounds, even the mining sounds (gives you a sense of accomplishment)

Other games or Sounds-

WoW PvP Queue sound (who can forget that), Gun Shots near and far in Players Unknown BG, terrain sound as you travel by SRV in Elite Dangerous..

Honesty this is tough because there are a TON of great game sounds.  This list can be super long, but these are ones that came to mind.  I Hope we see some really good ones in Pantheon.  If certain players don't like it, allow them to toggle off.  I will certainly have ALL sounds going...

• 1618 posts
    March 26, 2017 8:09 AM PDT

From EQ, I  use the DING sound as my text notification and the skeleton cackling for my email notification.

• 32 posts
    March 26, 2017 8:10 AM PDT

RIVERVALE music!!!!

• 3852 posts
    March 26, 2017 8:12 AM PDT

Sound adds a lot - it is one reason I much prefer typed chat to voice chat.

• 668 posts
    March 26, 2017 8:14 AM PDT

dorotea said:

And exactly this...

• 319 posts
    March 26, 2017 8:38 AM PDT

dorotea said:

Right on. I am not a world class typist but I get by. I am noq proud to say I have a typing finger on each hand. But alass it is tough for me to yell  "hill giant to zone line" without getting pile driven into the ground. But I try and most times am successfull. But voice chat cannot be beaten when in a group encounter or raid.

• 248 posts
    March 26, 2017 8:38 AM PDT

The Ding! Especially at higher levels when you went a long time between hearing it. The exitement when it was sooooo close and finally! DING!!!

The skelli laugh! Fists MMO ever, I was level 2 and staying close to the Surefall Glade entrance. I spot a dead skelli and wonder if someone forgot to loot it, I also wonder if I can loot it now someone did not want whatever was on it. I run over to it ready to click and it jumps up with an evil laugh! I nearly fell off my chair! It killed me ofcause, but I have loved that crazy skelli laugh ever since.
    I am hoping that there will be a hidden skelli somewhere in Pantheon that will jump people and laugh wickedly while killing them off.

-sorte.

(Would love that skelli laugh as a ring tone)

• 80 posts
    March 26, 2017 9:08 AM PDT

Isaya said:

dorotea said:

Right on. I am not a world class typist but I get by. I am noq proud to say I have a typing finger on each hand. But alass it is tough for me to yell  "hill giant to zone line" without getting pile driven into the ground. But I try and most times am successfull. But voice chat cannot be beaten when in a group encounter or raid.

There's ways to setup macros for chat in EQ1. like, /target to zone line. Will say whatever you have targeted and then the "to zone line."

I might be wrong on the /target, but it's an example.

I know many players running a tank had their own unigue sayings when they have incoming pulls, or other classes would setup macros to say something when they casted a certain spell. 

It gave that extra immersion and personality to that one player.

Back on topic:

The Ding was the absolute best. I can't really think of anymore off the top of my head, but sound is on the exact same level as gameplay mechanics. They rely on each other to make a good game into a great game.

This post was edited by Makinelly at March 26, 2017 9:11 AM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    March 26, 2017 10:11 AM PDT

That's a tough one, but I think my favorite was the fanfare that played when you completed a quest.

• 633 posts
    March 26, 2017 10:26 AM PDT

I always loved the background music from the Plane of Torment.  Some of my favorite game music ever.  It just really set the tone for the zone.

• 194 posts
    March 26, 2017 11:04 AM PDT

My favorite sounds in EQ were probably:

-- skeleton's laughter

-- Steamfont Mountain's zone music

-- specter's 'Die!' chant

This post was edited by Elrandir at March 26, 2017 11:05 AM PDT
    • 3016 posts
    March 26, 2017 12:45 PM PDT

The level up ding sound,  laughing skellies..ambiant sounds that you hear ingame.  I never play exterior music,  I like to hear what's coming at me if being attacked. :) 

• 154 posts
    March 27, 2017 8:11 PM PDT

Radamus said:

I know there are people who play games with no sound. They all have their reasons, but for me, not playing with game sounds kills the immersiveness of the player experience. 

Wth that said, what are your favorite sounds in games?

My two personal favorites are the leveling "Ding" (which scared the hell out of me the first time I heard it) and the sound you hear when melee attacking cactus mobs in EQ.  I first heard the cactus sound during my first group in The Overthere.  The sound when meleeing a cactus is just so satisfying to me.  Anyone else remember and like that sound also?  Sorry that I can't find a link to that particular sound.

Ding! Deffinately Ding was my fav sound. Especially once it meant my 1st hell lvl in EQ was done!

• 249 posts
    March 27, 2017 11:39 PM PDT
    DING!! I can hum the EQ theme song from memory. Kelethin theme. Skellie laugh. The swamp noises! Rain/thunderstorms
    • 86 posts
    March 28, 2017 6:24 AM PDT

A lot of people really under-estimate sound as an important contributor to connection and immersion. It's actually what makes up most of the difference in experience between TV and Cinema (as demonstrated by various studies I know exist but can't be bothered to look up and post right now because I'm at work). Some of my favourites are:

The gorgeous zone music from FFXI and FFXIV. (Ronfure, Selbina, Bastock and the airship; but there were some nice onces in WoW too). AoC had some awesome zone music too, I think Cimeria and the mountains were great.

The gore sounds upon executing a fatality combo in AoC.

Ding (and animation) - any game really, but I liked WoW and FFXIV best.

Background noises when zone music is not playing -  like birds and rustling vegetation in forests; Howls of wind. Really add to the immersion and connect you with the world.

Sound effects from some of the limit breaks in FFXIV - especially using sub-bass.

• 187 posts
    March 28, 2017 6:52 AM PDT

I loved the ding on its own merits, buy I've always hated that it was so much louder than everything else. So much so that recently I had my volume way down for a phone call, but the person on the other end heard it, lol.

I also like ambient noises that change from zone to zone. I like the crickets in Innothule, the swamp. I like the howling of wind in Everfrost.

Sadly, I generally play with sound off in almost all games. There always seems to be some sound that destroys it for me. In Banished, it's the animals. They are SO loud and you can't separate them out.

In EQ, there are some combat sounds that crunch SO loudly that it's physically painful to my ears--else I can't hear everything i do like. That and the extreme high volume of the ding.

I don't often like the music for some of the same reasons. Some have these high notes that make me grind my teeth. 

My hearing is very sensitive, so I know I'm in a minority. The ability to turn down extreme sounds would make me very happy. Or even them out, like a sound limiter box for your TV that keeps the volume constant.

• 1618 posts
    March 28, 2017 7:08 AM PDT

Amris said:

I loved the ding on its own merits, buy I've always hated that it was so much louder than everything else. So much so that recently I had my volume way down for a phone call, but the person on the other end heard it, lol.

I also like ambient noises that change from zone to zone. I like the crickets in Innothule, the swamp. I like the howling of wind in Everfrost.

Sadly, I generally play with sound off in almost all games. There always seems to be some sound that destroys it for me. In Banished, it's the animals. They are SO loud and you can't separate them out.

In EQ, there are some combat sounds that crunch SO loudly that it's physically painful to my ears--else I can't hear everything i do like. That and the extreme high volume of the ding.

I don't often like the music for some of the same reasons. Some have these high notes that make me grind my teeth. 

My hearing is very sensitive, so I know I'm in a minority. The ability to turn down extreme sounds would make me very happy. Or even them out, like a sound limiter box for your TV that keeps the volume constant.

EQ2 had some good interface options that allowed you to separately control,the volumes for music, ambient sounds, combat, and voice. This allowed for a lot of customization.

When soloing, I tend to have music and ambient noises turned up and others turned down. In raids, it's the reverse.

Also, I usually keep game sounds coming from speakers and voice chat from TV, for even more control.

• 187 posts
    March 28, 2017 9:18 AM PDT

Beefcake said:

EQ2 had some good interface options that allowed you to separately control,the volumes for music, ambient sounds, combat, and voice. This allowed for a lot of customization.

When soloing, I tend to have music and ambient noises turned up and others turned down. In raids, it's the reverse.

Also, I usually keep game sounds coming from speakers and voice chat from TV, for even more control.

Yes, most games now separate ambiance, music, etc. The problem is when, in ambiance example, you have the soothing sound of crickets, the soft yet eerie howling of a mournful wind, the distant call of a jackdaw or an eagle.... and then this sheep close by who baaas at 90 gazmillion [sic] decibels. You can't get rid of the sheep without losing everything else.

It seems to be a persistent problem in all games. Even Subnautica has those stupid reefbacks that bellow every couple minutes. 

In games like EQ, it's crippling in some cases not to use sounds... which makes these extreme noises extra frustrating.

On s different note, the original aviak village music from EQ is some of the best ever in a game. It still escapes me why they ever changed it.

This post was edited by Amris at March 28, 2017 9:24 AM PDT
    • 59 posts
    March 28, 2017 9:45 AM PDT

Darkfall online had good spell sounds overall in my opinion but my favorite game sound is 

Cursed Bolt cast, travel and impact sound!

• 2752 posts
    March 28, 2017 9:47 AM PDT

Obviously the *DING*

Otherwise: Absolutely loved the merchant song from EQ, the cackling skeletons, the brutal sounding hits when attacking zombies, and who can forget the marvelous *woo woo woo woo* of the ghouls! The original Dr. Zoidbergs.

This post was edited by Iksar at March 28, 2017 9:53 AM PDT
    • 121 posts
    March 28, 2017 1:36 PM PDT
    I'd say for me it was the sound of the rain and thunder in EQ as well as the crickets or whatever it was at night. Also agree with others on Ding of course and the sound of the skellies when you hit them.
    Sadly I stopped listening to music after voice chat became a thing. The EQ theme song still gives me goose bumps.
    • 1303 posts
    March 30, 2017 6:09 PM PDT
    One of the old EQ sounds that completley throws me back was the weird sort of hainted coo'ing sounds of butcherblock and the feydarks. Always brings me straight back to my first days in the game as a clueless dwarf. So simple, and yet so powerful.
    • 399 posts
    March 30, 2017 6:54 PM PDT

yeah always played with sounds on.  

Kelethin music, greater Faydark creeper music, ding and velketors lab.

Totally a must for immersion imo. But for raids, voice chat.  Maybe, but probably not, for group chat