Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Pantheon Economy Concern

This topic has been closed.
    • 154 posts
    March 24, 2017 6:06 PM PDT

Ello ello everyone! Does anyone know if Pantheon has a plan to deal with the Chinese Gold/Plat farmers and their ilk? They were annoying in EQ. They infested WoW though, I did not get their mythods until I played Warhammer Online. It was in Warhammer that I was able to observe the Market ( Game Economy ) and how they influenced it. The Gold/Plat sellers arrived about 2 weeks after launch, so it was easy to see how they did things. 

Basically they'll farm various items whether it's gear or materials for trades, set a high price at auction, then sell gold to for people to buy it. This can quickly ruin a player driven economy. While it didn't have a dramatic effect in Warhammer due to the better gear was attained via PvP and was not tradeable. The not quite as good gear was attainable with effort, without a rediculous amount of it.  Gear was attainable with effort within your lvl range, so they did not do very well there. 

EQ was vulnerable due to, I think, the very low drops rates for trade materials, followed by the difficulty in getting gear. The game money dropped from mobs were rather stingy. The exceptions were specific mobs such as the Hill Giants in Rath Mountians, which were perpetually camped and there really were not enough Hill Giants to go around. This was the case until Planes of Power as I recall. I stopped playing EQ an expansion or 2 after Power, so I wouldn't know about it after that. 

My reason for reason for bringing this up is due to my not wanting to have to spend most of my time farming for Plat again. My Necro, Risingmist, spent a year doing nothing other that plat farming to make sure I had the plat to pay for my spells, cover the ever higher and higher expense of paying crafters for thier Augs, etc.... Needless to say this soured me a bit, so am hopeful our wonderful Devs here in Pantheon have a strategy and plan in place. 

So please share your thoughts. If this wasn't covered before I'm all ears to listen to anyone's ideas.

By the way, anyone here who is from Prexus?

• 1618 posts
    March 24, 2017 6:12 PM PDT

Yes. They have plans.

• 1584 posts
    March 24, 2017 6:58 PM PDT

To be honest like all MMO's the original game mobs normally always drop low a amount of money so this you might be out of luck on, i could be wrong though.  but the rest im sure the devs have a plan and will gladly release any news on it when they can :).

• 154 posts
    March 24, 2017 7:27 PM PDT

Hmm... in some mmo's I've played mobs were not too stingy lol. I really hate to bring up WoW, I mention that game because I still play it. I'm there mostly for the instanced PvP Battlefields and when We Horde attack enemy cities. In that game effort has to be taken, though you can generally gain enough gold for current needs as you adventure. Getting materials for crafting while requiring an investment of time is engaging and fun. As example: when I need a type of metal like bronze, iron, mithril or whatnot needed for engineering items I mine it, then smelt it into bars. After that I use the approprite metal bars need as well as other materials to make parts for say... a scope for a bow or a pet to fight for me, better yet I can build a mount. If I need another material like leather, for instance, the skinning trade is used. My main is a Mage which is equivalent to an EQ Wizzard whose trade is Engineering.  Though I detest the Gold sellers there. I don't really get the need for it since people can get by on their own efforts. I think it may be because; lvling is so fast there that it's easy to out lvl what is craftable before it can be used in it's lvl range. That and perhaps the instant gratification mindset prevalent in WOW. Which brings me to Pantheon. This is a dream come true for me.

The reason I started this thread is because while surfing the Forum I didn't find any mention of this. My reasoning is that I'm certain Devs read what we talk about and our concerns. I just want Pantheon to be as great as it can be for us when log in when it's live screaming like Banshee's as we target our 1st mob lol, hail our 1st NPC and explore Pantheon's Wonders.

Thanks for posting here Beefcake and Riahuf22. You're right I think. If anyone leaves their thoughts here, thank you in advance.

This post was edited by Risingmist at March 24, 2017 7:40 PM PDT
    • 839 posts
    March 24, 2017 7:38 PM PDT

I didnt really have that issue of having to specifically farm plat to buy spells and stuff for my main who was a caster, but certainly as you leveled you did have to try and make your money and not waste it and that is a good thing!  I think there was a good compromise between higher xp mobs and higher loot mobs and you get to choose which you would want to reap the benefits from.  This is how i would like to see Pantheon done!

As for gold farmers and any economy, the consumers have the power to change things if we collectively choose the "right" path.  Unless VR just want to ban accounts who they have evidence of purchasing from gold farmers like they say they do in Project99, that will probably help to stop it too.

• 1584 posts
    March 24, 2017 8:11 PM PDT

Risingmist said:

Hmm... in some mmo's I've played mobs were not too stingy lol. I really hate to bring up WoW, I mention that game because I still play it. I'm there mostly for the instanced PvP Battlefields and when We Horde attack enemy cities. In that game effort has to be taken, though you can generally gain enough gold for current needs as you adventure. Getting materials for crafting while requiring an investment of time is engaging and fun. As example: when I need a type of metal like bronze, iron, mithril or whatnot needed for engineering items I mine it, then smelt it into bars. After that I use the approprite metal bars need as well as other materials to make parts for say... a scope for a bow or a pet to fight for me, better yet I can build a mount. If I need another material like leather, for instance, the skinning trade is used. My main is a Mage which is equivalent to an EQ Wizzard whose trade is Engineering.  Though I detest the Gold sellers there. I don't really get the need for it since people can get by on their own efforts. I think it may be because; lvling is so fast there that it's easy to out lvl what is craftable before it can be used in it's lvl range. That and perhaps the instant gratification mindset prevalent in WOW. Which brings me to Pantheon. This is a dream come true for me.

The reason I started this thread is because while surfing the Forum I didn't find any mention of this. My reasoning is that I'm certain Devs read what we talk about and our concerns. I just want Pantheon to be as great as it can be for us when log in when it's live screaming like Banshee's as we target our 1st mob lol, hail our 1st NPC and explore Pantheon's Wonders.

Thanks for posting here Beefcake and Riahuf22. You're right I think. If anyone leaves their thoughts here, thank you in advance.

yeah i can agree with you but your not playing on the orginal WoW, but like its 7th expac, big difference

• 62 posts
    March 25, 2017 6:56 AM PDT

Risingmist said:

By the way, anyone here who is from Prexus?

My character (Kilarr Corpusvoco, Dark Elf Necromancer) originated from Terris-Thule, which then merged with Prexus and is now The Rathe iirc. I raided with Unbroken Promise, then moved to Dawntreaders through PoP doing PoT and then we splintered into Novus Initium.

• 3237 posts
    March 25, 2017 8:11 AM PDT

A few links on this topic:

http://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2165/game-economy/view/post_id/28710

http://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1565/pantheon-economy/view/post_id/17785

http://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3436/idea-economy/view/post_id/53014

http://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1900/economy-keeping-plat-valuable

http://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3800/crafting-as-the-base-for-player-economy

Definitely a hot topic in this community and there are many other threads where it has been discussed in detail, including plenty of theory crafting and responses from the VR team.  I am only sharing these links with you because they're bound to come up anyway; this forum has been in existence for several years now and if you have a game-related idea/concern, it's quite probable that there is already an existing discussion going on related to that topic.  I would recommend using the search functionality and typing in various combinations of keywords on any given topic before posting a new thread as you will likely find a bunch of information that is relevant to exactly what you are looking for.

• 154 posts
    March 25, 2017 8:48 AM PDT

Thank you oneADseven I really appreciate it : ). Out of all the agrivations real or imagined lol, evil gold/plat sellers, /hiss... crosses self, gets me so worked up. Just ruins the game ya know...  

• 319 posts
    March 25, 2017 9:18 AM PDT

My idea for stopping the gold farmers is to make most items bind on acquire. This may not be a popular method but I think it can be effective.

If everything ingame can be so expensive that noone can afford them without buying gold then that really promotes farmers and campers.

One of my favorite methods of upgradeing would be that crafters remake gear and weapons you have with maybe a rare drop item to make them better and needed.

• 1618 posts
    March 25, 2017 10:40 AM PDT

Isaya said:

My idea for stopping the gold farmers is to make most items bind on acquire. This may not be a popular method but I think it can be effective.

Thankfully, they will not be doing as you suggest.

6.5 What will the in-game economy model be like?
    Having a player-driven economy is an important part of Pantheon and we want a heavy focus on player-to-player trading. Items need to come in and out of the economy regularly. Keeping items scarce and adding item sinks to give reason to donate or sacrifice your items will be important to the game. With some exceptions (quest items, epic-quest items, crafter customized items) almost everything in the game will be tradable. We want exotic items found in one end of the world to be very valuable elsewhere.

• 9115 posts
    March 25, 2017 5:04 PM PDT

oneADseven said:

A few links on this topic:

http://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2165/game-economy/view/post_id/28710

http://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1565/pantheon-economy/view/post_id/17785

http://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3436/idea-economy/view/post_id/53014

http://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1900/economy-keeping-plat-valuable

http://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3800/crafting-as-the-base-for-player-economy

Definitely a hot topic in this community and there are many other threads where it has been discussed in detail, including plenty of theory crafting and responses from the VR team.  I am only sharing these links with you because they're bound to come up anyway; this forum has been in existence for several years now and if you have a game-related idea/concern, it's quite probable that there is already an existing discussion going on related to that topic.  I would recommend using the search functionality and typing in various combinations of keywords on any given topic before posting a new thread as you will likely find a bunch of information that is relevant to exactly what you are looking for.

As OneADseven kindly pointed out, we already have several threads on this topic and for that reason,t his one will need to be closed, please use the search function prior to creating a new thread as more often than not you will find your question, thought or concern has already been answered or addressed over the last few years of development.