Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What if quests had rarities like items ?

• 338 posts
    March 24, 2017 10:17 AM PDT

First I'd like to start off by saying I really like the idea of quests coming out of the environment and not always coming from a quest giver.

My quick and dirty example of quest rarities.

Travelling down a road you see a tipped over supply cart that looks as if it has been ransacked...

Common: As you approach the cart you see drag marks leading off into the distance...Find who is responsible and bring them to justice.

Uncommon: Upon closer inspection of the cart you find a note that reads: If you ever want to see your husband again bring 500 gold coins to the crossroads at midnight for an exchange.

Rare: A mysterious broach falls from a sack of rice as you lift it... Who could this belong to ?

Now the common quest would be the easiest and the rare would be much harder. With rewards to match the difficulty.

I like this idea because it makes for a more dynamic world where not everyone gets the same content.

Do you feel that something like this would be unfair or do you think this might work in practice ?

Thanks in advance,

Kiz~

• 142 posts
    March 24, 2017 11:00 AM PDT

I would like this if the difficulty of quest is related to your Perception skill. 

The higher your Perception, the more details you discover, and the more advanced/difficult the quest could be.

This could also allow for the replayability of certain quests. The first go-round, when your perception is low, you only get the common quest. But as you level and your perception skill increases, the more difficult quest would become available.

• 3852 posts
    March 24, 2017 11:02 AM PDT

I agree - with both of you.

• 542 posts
    March 24, 2017 11:03 AM PDT

I'd say greater risk -greater reward. So rewards to match difficulty would certainly not be unfair in my view

What I would love to see is kingdom quests where everyone is welcome.The elves might need to protect an elven artifact from destruction for a week
    The dark myr might need to mesmerize landwalkers and feed them to the crocodiles and sharks ,before they invade their kingdom <3

• 2886 posts
    March 24, 2017 11:31 AM PDT

Homercles said:

I would like this if the difficulty of quest is related to your Perception skill. 

The higher your Perception, the more details you discover, and the more advanced/difficult the quest could be.

This could also allow for the replayability of certain quests. The first go-round, when your perception is low, you only get the common quest. But as you level and your perception skill increases, the more difficult quest would become available.

Fantastic idea. Ship it.

• 542 posts
    March 24, 2017 11:47 AM PDT

A perception mode might be awesome and good for a giggle

It used to be a mode that was activated by interacting with the hand icon,when the eye was open

perception mode was active

• 763 posts
    March 24, 2017 12:19 PM PDT

My favourite is quests that have multiple aims ... often diamtrically opposed to each other!
    ... perhaps even linked to Unique 'once per Server' quests ....

1. Opposing Aims : Here is a trite example of one just to give you the idea .....

Lets say that :
          Village A Elder offers a reward for Broccoli planted in a nearby Field,
          Village B Elder offers a reward for Cabbage planted in (turns out the same) nearby field.
    What you don't know is ownership of this field is granted to whichever Village used it the most that month. As 'proof' of usage, each village was given a different veggie to plant. There are a fixed (odd) number of places to plant the veggies.
    PS: On a PvP server this could get very interesting indeed!

2. Unique Quests : Here is a low-key 'once per server' quest...

Let us take your 'overturned cart' ....
    .... inside is found a ring bearing the inscription 'To Prince John, from your mother Queen Latifah'

Should you investigate, you will find the Noble house to which 'Prince John' belonged. It is a now an impoverished Noble familiy, fallen on hard times. When interviwed, the current Head of the household Duke Demijon (was Prince Demijon) offers a prize for the finding of John's body and the family Sceptre. It is ceremonial, but he insists it has sentimental value to his mother and so must be found!
    Should you have high enough perception, you will be accosted by an agent acting for a powerful, rich, merchant family. They ask that you return the sceptre to them instead of the family. They offer money in lieu of a good reason for wanting it.

Obviously, you return to where the ring was found and embark on a long and arduous hunt for Prince John's body and his sceptre....
    ... once you have this, you need to decide what to do with it!
    ... on his corpse is a coded note hidden in a woman's brooch with a lock of (female) hair

The point here, though, is that the quest is not what it seems...
      - The sceptre contains a promise note to pay a HUGE amount of cash from the merchants to the family,
      - The family wish it recovered to regain power ...
      - The merchant familiy want it back to burn it ....
      - Duke Demijon wants the brooch and note since it confirms he ordered his brother's death ....
      - etc etc etc

Which way the quest is ended may change who rules a Kingdom ....

Evoras, once killed Quillmane...

• 142 posts
    March 24, 2017 1:15 PM PDT

Evoras said:

2. Unique Quests : Here is a low-key 'once per server' quest...

Let us take your 'overturned cart' ....
    .... inside is found a ring bearing the inscription 'To Prince John, from your mother Queen Latifah'

Should you investigate, you will find the Noble house to which 'Prince John' belonged. It is a now an impoverished Noble familiy, fallen on hard times. When interviwed, the current Head of the household Duke Demijon (was Prince Demijon) offers a prize for the finding of John's body and the family Sceptre. It is ceremonial, but he insists it has sentimental value to his mother and so must be found!
    Should you have high enough perception, you will be accosted by an agent acting for a powerful, rich, merchant family. They ask that you return the sceptre to them instead of the family. They offer money in lieu of a good reason for wanting it.

Obviously, you return to where the ring was found and embark on a long and arduous hunt for Prince John's body and his sceptre....
    ... once you have this, you need to decide what to do with it!
    ... on his corpse is a coded note hidden in a woman's brooch with a lock of (female) hair

The point here, though, is that the quest is not what it seems...
      - The sceptre contains a promise note to pay a HUGE amount of cash from the merchants to the family,
      - The family wish it recovered to regain power ...
      - The merchant familiy want it back to burn it ....
      - Duke Demijon wants the brooch and note since it confirms he ordered his brother's death ....
      - etc etc etc

Which way the quest is ended may change who rules a Kingdom ....

Evoras, once killed Quillmane...

Multiple choices to complete quests could be really interesting if major faction hits were involved. If you have three opposing factions seeking the same sceptre, and each faction rewards a different item, and you receive Plus Faction to one and Negative Faction to the other two, then you have to weigh the faction damage vs the potential quest reward when you make your choice. Is this item worth the faction hit? Should I accept the lesser item to maintain my faction standing?

This brings up another thing.....Please dont show us what the quest reward will be when we accept a quest.

• 780 posts
    March 25, 2017 3:09 PM PDT

I think it's more likely that we'll have additional branches of quest lines available through a higher perception skill instead of having some people randomly get different versions of quests than others.  I could see rarity coming in by having some groundspawn items or NPCs that begin quest lines be much more rare than others, but not to the point where there are different versions of the 'same quest' available at different times.

• 2886 posts
    March 26, 2017 9:06 AM PDT

Shucklighter said:

I think it's more likely that we'll have additional branches of quest lines available through a higher perception skill instead of having some people randomly get different versions of quests than others.  I could see rarity coming in by having some groundspawn items or NPCs that begin quest lines be much more rare than others, but not to the point where there are different versions of the 'same quest' available at different times.

So using the example of the cart in the OP:

Common: As you approach the cart you see drag marks leading off into the distance...Find who is responsible and bring them to justice.

Uncommon: Upon closer inspection of the cart you find a note that reads: If you ever want to see your husband again bring 500 gold coins to the crossroads at midnight for an exchange.

Rare: A mysterious broach falls from a sack of rice as you lift it... Who could this belong to?

Howabout if you had a high enough perception level to see the rare broach, it gave you the option to accept all 3 quests. That way you're not really getting a different version, just more options. And if you currently only have a high enough perception level to get the Common quest, you can still come back later with a higher perception level and notice the rare broach.

• 319 posts
    March 26, 2017 9:24 AM PDT

Some really fantastic ideas. Yes the perception skill should be a real big part of what kind of quest you get. But I hope if this goes to fruition that the devs implament a way of making the reward fit the class or race that you belong to. I would hate to see my druid finish a rare quest in order to get a wonderfull 2-handed sword that not only she cannot use but is not tradeable. Maybe it can be bind to account if it is not useable by the quest person. But I do not think items should be tradeable to anyone if they are quest rewards.

But to get back to the topic   yes   it is a great idea.