Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

EQ1 - Trolls

• 27 posts
    March 23, 2017 11:07 PM PDT

Any idea if Trolls will come back? I'm talking about the dumpy ones, the big belly and big nose model. I really liked them haha

• 154 posts
    March 24, 2017 1:32 AM PDT

Yeah I agree, the more races the more vast the world seems imo :) I Had a troll SK back in the day, they were super dumpy lol

• 19 posts
    March 24, 2017 1:48 AM PDT

Those trolls were pretty damn awesome. Always remember the first time I saw one lummaxing across the desert. Really hoping Pantheon gives the same sort of fun and WTF moments we all got from EQ.

• 2886 posts
    March 24, 2017 2:20 AM PDT

Trolls were actually a race in Pantheon way, way back toward its inception, but as they continued to build the Lore of Terminus, that race morphed into what we know as the Skar today.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2134/trolls-out

• 9115 posts
    March 24, 2017 5:20 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Trolls were actually a race in Pantheon way, way back toward its inception, but as they continued to build the Lore of Terminus, that race morphed into what we know as the Skar today.

Correct, thank you Baz :)

• 801 posts
    March 24, 2017 7:03 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Bazgrim said:

Looks very cool, even if it was orginally placed as a Troll. The artwork is just simply amazing.

I thought about it, should i tank with one? most likely having special abilities like our famous "slam" stun like from the larger races.

• 9115 posts
    March 24, 2017 4:44 PM PDT

Crazzie said:

Kilsin said:

Bazgrim said:

Looks very cool, even if it was orginally placed as a Troll. The artwork is just simply amazing.

I thought about it, should i tank with one? most likely having special abilities like our famous "slam" stun like from the larger races.

A Skar Dire Lord or Warrior would be a formidable tank :)

• 1618 posts
    March 24, 2017 4:48 PM PDT

A Skar just looks like a dehydrated, diet gone wrong, second-class Ogre.

They just don't stand up to the quality of Ogres.

This post was edited by Beefcake at March 24, 2017 5:02 PM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    March 24, 2017 4:50 PM PDT

Crazzie said:

Don't let Shuck hear you say that lol

• 27 posts
    March 24, 2017 7:18 PM PDT

Oh that's so awesome! I am officially making a personal request that the game has old style EQ 1 dumpy troll as a mobs we can fight :D

I like the new look of the Skar too >.<

This post was edited by LordJJ at March 24, 2017 7:21 PM PDT
    • 187 posts
    March 24, 2017 7:39 PM PDT

It was sillly and absurd how they scratch their behinds, but that actuallly managed to make them indearing, lol.

That is one thing that would help the game a lot. A truly, genuinely ugly race. Like those horrifically ugly wrinkle dogs that people think are 'so ugly they're cute'. (I just think they're hideous, just like trolls, but... the point is, there is a place for that it should be allowed for).

The problem with both the orgres and the skar are that they're trying too hard to be 'cool'. They're ugly, but in a sort of nod to ugliness way. I don't mean this offensively to anyone, but it's a bit like tattoos. Some people think they are the bees knees sexy. Some of us find them a total turn off. Yet there is still a quality beyond the tats that can be seen as good looking for not my/ your type. The skar and the orgres are almost like they are trying to be ugly without being just plain ugly.

There IS a place for just plain ugly. Some people find it adorable.

• 1584 posts
    March 24, 2017 9:03 PM PDT

Beefcake said:

They look awesome to me, the mere fact VR came out if a totally different race altogether and put a very good lore into them really has me exciting to see them, plus they fit the Dire Lord almost prefectly since they fight everything even themselves just to live just like im sure the dire lord lore would be something very similiar. but i plan on making my skar a warrior.

• 1618 posts
    March 24, 2017 9:31 PM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

Beefcake said:

They look awesome to me, the mere fact VR came out if a totally different race altogether and put a very good lore into them really has me exciting to see them, plus they fit the Dire Lord almost prefectly since they fight everything even themselves just to live just like im sure the dire lord lore would be something very similiar. but i plan on making my skar a warrior.

Apparently, you do not understand.  OGRES are superior in every way.  No newcomer race will ever defeat or supplant the Ogre Master Race!

I guess that's why I stay off RP servers.  I must suck at it.

This post was edited by Beefcake at March 24, 2017 9:33 PM PDT
    • 690 posts
    March 24, 2017 10:22 PM PDT

Even if Skar used to be trolls, they were so different they got renamed. I don't really think skar apply here as more than an interesting fact. They could prove that VR doesn't like eq 1 trolls, hence all of the changes, but I don't think that's set in stone.

Having a large, ugly, swamp dwelling race might be interesting some time for Pantheon. I haven't heard anything about it though. 

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at March 24, 2017 10:27 PM PDT
    • 248 posts
    March 25, 2017 3:10 AM PDT

Beefcake said:

Riahuf22 said:

Beefcake said:

Apparently, you do not understand.  OGRES are superior in every way.  No newcomer race will ever defeat or supplant the Ogre Master Race!

I guess that's why I stay off RP servers.  I must suck at it.

Ha ha, Beefcake! (I stay off RP servers too)

-sorte.

• 2886 posts
    March 26, 2017 8:57 AM PDT

BeaverBiscuit said:

Even if Skar used to be trolls, they were so different they got renamed. I don't really think skar apply here as more than an interesting fact. They could prove that VR doesn't like eq 1 trolls, hence all of the changes, but I don't think that's set in stone.

Having a large, ugly, swamp dwelling race might be interesting some time for Pantheon. I haven't heard anything about it though. 

I agree that the connection to Trolls is almost unrecognizable now. There's not much of a resemblance. But I think if they seriously entertained the idea of Trolls but made the decision that an EQ1-like Troll did not belong in Terminus and thus changed them to the Skar, then there'd be no point in bringing the Trolls to Terminus later, because they've already decided that they don't fit. Personally, I think that's totally fine and justified, but I'm of the "this is its own game" mentality.

• 690 posts
    March 26, 2017 9:42 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

BeaverBiscuit said:

I agree that the connection to Trolls is almost unrecognizable now. There's not much of a resemblance. But I think if they seriously entertained the idea of Trolls but made the decision that an EQ1-like Troll did not belong in Terminus and thus changed them to the Skar, then there'd be no point in bringing the Trolls to Terminus later, because they've already decided that they don't fit. Personally, I think that's totally fine and justified, but I'm of the "this is its own game" mentality.

My opinion on the matter is that it shows trolls don't fit right now, either into schedules, balance, or lore. But sometime down the road with expansions they might. 

• 2886 posts
    March 27, 2017 6:15 AM PDT

BeaverBiscuit said:

Bazgrim said:

BeaverBiscuit said:

My opinion on the matter is that it shows trolls don't fit right now, either into schedules, balance, or lore. But sometime down the road with expansions they might. 

Anything's possible I suppose!

• 86 posts
    March 27, 2017 6:22 AM PDT

I am disappointed with this thread. When I first saw the title I thought "Oh, someone's calling the ex EQ1 guys Trolls, this should be fun!. Maybe I can toss in the odd tease as well!".. but sadly that wasn't the case. :(

• 1618 posts
    March 27, 2017 7:14 AM PDT

We don't need Trolls in Terminus. There are already plenty on the forums.

• 801 posts
    March 27, 2017 7:50 AM PDT

Beefcake said:

Thats not nice, i thought the forums where good. Maybe things changed huh?

• 86 posts
    March 27, 2017 8:08 AM PDT

Crazzie said:

Beefcake said:

Likely a safe bet that tongue was in cheek

• 2886 posts
    March 27, 2017 8:14 AM PDT

Idrial said:

Crazzie said:

Beefcake said:

Likely a safe bet that tongue was in cheek

Agreed. It's been a while since I've actually seen a real troll around here.

• 144 posts
    March 27, 2017 9:23 AM PDT

I'm cool with the Skar, but damn.... I'm really going to miss Trolls, and fishing in the swamp :(

• 610 posts
    March 27, 2017 1:33 PM PDT

Trolls, we dont need no stinking Trolls!