Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How will you survive?

• 9115 posts
    March 23, 2017 4:12 AM PDT

From homegrown apple trees to cold, snowy regions and dimly lit fires lighting a night sky, how do you think you will survive the Terminus conditions?

Image may contain: tree, plant, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: night and outdoor

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at March 23, 2017 4:13 AM PDT
    • 724 posts
    March 23, 2017 4:36 AM PDT

Cold weather or dark nights is nothing a true adventurer would have trouble with.

That lady in the yard though...she may look innocent, but if you try to steal apples from that tree, you better be prepared to run, and fast! :)

@Kilsin: Once again, thanks for these great shots!

• 1618 posts
    March 23, 2017 5:09 AM PDT

As an Ogre,  I will kill an annoying Halfling and wear his skin as a mask. Everyone will let me pass, because no one assumes a Halfling will hurt them.

Well, it might take a couple Halflings to make the mask big enough.

• 626 posts
    March 23, 2017 5:24 AM PDT

As a Halfling Ranger I would look to build a camp fire in the snow, and dark. While living off the land, and animals anywhere else. 

Beautiful Screenshots!

• 37 posts
    March 23, 2017 5:54 AM PDT

So pretty! Chopping lots of wood in the fall would be a start!

• 49 posts
    March 23, 2017 6:26 AM PDT

I'd be sitting by the fire!

• 112 posts
    March 23, 2017 6:31 AM PDT

As a paladin, protecting the realm knows no seasons.  It takes great fortitude and conviction to survive the bitter cold and I am blessed with both.  Apples, not gold, are the greater reward for ridding locals of pestering wolves while upgrading my armor with collected pelts will increase my acclimation to the frozen conditions.  Harvesting wood from the nearby evergreens will fuel the campfire through the dark night as I plan for the trials of tomorrow.

Another round of great screenshots, really nice textures and detailing.

• 232 posts
    March 23, 2017 6:35 AM PDT

As an enchanter, I would use my powers to mesmerize the lady in the yard, filling her mind with the sweetest dreams.  After taking as much time as needed to pick the best apples for my journey, I would venture forth knowing that with a clear mind, the best path is often revealed.

• 9115 posts
    March 23, 2017 6:36 AM PDT

Sarim said:

Cold weather or dark nights is nothing a true adventurer would have trouble with.

That lady in the yard though...she may look innocent, but if you try to steal apples from that tree, you better be prepared to run, and fast! :)

@Kilsin: Once again, thanks for these great shots!

You're very welcome my friend, glad you like them :)

Haha she has sore arms from picking apples all day, if you mess with her she will take care of you quick smart :D

• 19 posts
    March 23, 2017 6:42 AM PDT

"Crazy Apple Selling Lady is ENRAGED"...you are hit for 100000 damage, zoning please wait...

Looks fantastic, keep up the good work.

• 17 posts
    March 23, 2017 6:49 AM PDT

Is it just me, or do the graphics improve greatly from week to week? Amazing.

• 1921 posts
    March 23, 2017 6:59 AM PDT

At this stage of development, is the snow/snowfall seasonal or dynamic (falls & melts away) with the seasons, Kilsin?

If not, is that (dynamic/seasonal snowfall) a design goal for launch?  Or is it strictly a texture based on altitude and otherwise permanent?  Do footprints appear in the snow and fade with time?

• 168 posts
    March 23, 2017 8:25 AM PDT

As a Monk, I have trained both my body and mind to withstand even the harshest conditions. Through medidation and attunement neither bitter cold nor sweltering heat could stave the will. The body and mind however, must have sustenance and rest to survive. So a healthy stock of food and water and plenty of restful nights will get get me through Terminus.

• 13 posts
    March 23, 2017 8:28 AM PDT
    Since I'm a ranger, hopefully I'll have plenty of foraged food. Hopefully, I'll have plenty of snares and traps set, so I will have plenty of furs and pelts. Then I hope that there is a great crafting element that allows players to make a fur cloak to keep me warm. If not, maybe I'll try to build a fire. Maybe I have a bind sight: animal spell that I can cast on a nearby wolf that I've tracked, which provides me with night vision.
    • 162 posts
    March 23, 2017 8:32 AM PDT

Well, first, I'll get someone to spot me when I climb the ladder to pick some apples... Hopefully I can trust them. Then, I'll go buy a jacket so I can handle the cold, and as far as the fire goes, well... I'll try not to put it next to anything that may start a wildfire. Although, I can't make any promises. If we do get another version of Kithicor forest I may just burn it down for the heck of it...

Love the pictures tho, can't wait to get in and see the game, but for now you guys just keep doing what you are doing, and I'll keep sitting back and enjoying it lol.

• 338 posts
    March 23, 2017 8:42 AM PDT

I hope when we chop trees they fall over like in Vanguard...

Kiz~

• 157 posts
    March 23, 2017 11:08 AM PDT
    Keep evac memorized at all times.
    • 191 posts
    March 23, 2017 11:12 AM PDT

Very atmospheric screencaps, Kilsin.  Thanks.  I notice that all the horizons are terrain again, albiet farther away this time.  I'd love to see an example of zone with a horizon that isn't terrain!

• 542 posts
    March 23, 2017 11:52 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

From homegrown apple trees to cold, snowy regions and dimly lit fires lighting a night sky, how do you think you will survive the Terminus conditions?

Image may contain: tree, plant, sky, outdoor and nature

i'll be fine in the snowy region and cold nights
    but during spring the nice lady would have to shave my body
    for me not to overheat naturally
    Just hope she does not deem me ready for the slaughterhouse :-(
    Or she might reward me with a juicy apple after a good shaving

shaven or fluffy ,I love the view <3

• 668 posts
    March 23, 2017 12:12 PM PDT

Preplanning...  lots of preplanning (at least I hope it requires this)

In all seriousness though, I really hope in order to survive, we have to aquire a great many things in our inventories and be able to switch appropriately or use them at the right times to make surviving that much easier.

So in your example pictures:

Pick an apple tree as you see them, apples can provide energy in a certain environment

Put on your warm gear when traversing through a cold climate zone in order to ward off the effects that could wear you down otherwise

Lastly, you did not have enough warm gear so you decide to take shelter at this fire.  Perhaps this is a community fire that requires everyone to pitch in and survive a terrible wave of cold coming in...  Players there for 15 minutes or longer leave with a special buff for survival.  Soon it builds with many people, and the social atmosphere comes to life.  NPC Bards come play songs, NPC special vendors show up with unique goodies, NPC spellcasters show up and give unique buffs.  Heck if this were the case, I would run from far away if I saw a fire in the distance!

This post was edited by Pyye at March 23, 2017 12:13 PM PDT
    • 162 posts
    March 23, 2017 3:33 PM PDT

Pyye said:

Preplanning...  lots of preplanning (at least I hope it requires this)

In all seriousness though, I really hope in order to survive, we have to aquire a great many things in our inventories and be able to switch appropriately or use them at the right times to make surviving that much easier.

So in your example pictures:

Pick an apple tree as you see them, apples can provide energy in a certain environment

Put on your warm gear when traversing through a cold climate zone in order to ward off the effects that could wear you down otherwise

Lastly, you did not have enough warm gear so you decide to take shelter at this fire.  Perhaps this is a community fire that requires everyone to pitch in and survive a terrible wave of cold coming in...  Players there for 15 minutes or longer leave with a special buff for survival.  Soon it builds with many people, and the social atmosphere comes to life.  NPC Bards come play songs, NPC special vendors show up with unique goodies, NPC spellcasters show up and give unique buffs.  Heck if this were the case, I would run from far away if I saw a fire in the distance!

Now that you mention it... I just thought of something... When you think trying to fight off the cold weather. Your body burns more calories trying to keep itself warm, which means you have to increase the amount of calories you intake in order to survive because the body also needs some to keep the vitals going. That would be awesome if they could implement that. Like your food lasts half as long when in the cold lol. Idk, was just an idea, no clue where I am going with it but it sounds fun.

• 2886 posts
    March 23, 2017 3:40 PM PDT

At first I was afraid

I was petrified

Keep thinking I could never live

Without a mount to ride

But then I spent so many nights

Listenin' to the bard's song

And I grew strong

I learned how to get along

• 191 posts
    March 23, 2017 3:55 PM PDT

Bravo, Bazgrim.  Bravo.

• 9115 posts
    March 23, 2017 4:06 PM PDT

vjek said:

At this stage of development, is the snow/snowfall seasonal or dynamic (falls & melts away) with the seasons, Kilsin?

If not, is that (dynamic/seasonal snowfall) a design goal for launch?  Or is it strictly a texture based on altitude and otherwise permanent?  Do footprints appear in the snow and fade with time?

No, we demonstrated that it is possible in very early demos of Pantheon back in the early days but currently it is not high on the list of things to do currently as it is not a priority, it can be tweaked and added much later and there are more important things to be done in preparation for pre-alpha testing. So at this stage it is texture based, no footprints at this stage, I am not sure if the team has plans for that, it may be too taxing on the servers to record and show so many footprints from NPCs and players in zones.

• 4 posts
    March 23, 2017 4:08 PM PDT

The moon is high and breath hangs in the air like thick fog. "Confounded winter....why does it get so cold here? " exclaims the lone rogue. Her eyes fill with fear as a presence is felt just beyond the black wall of the night. "It's just you and me, Doldrious." she whispers to her trusted veteran dagger. The presence lets out a startling howl and edges it's face through the black vail...

This post was edited by VeeVeeLuv at March 23, 2017 4:09 PM PDT