Forums » The Druid

Druid Spells

• 19 posts
    March 20, 2017 9:34 PM PDT

Hey guys, I would like to hear what types of druid spells you would like to see in game. Do you have any cool new ideas for the Druid or old ones from another game that you really liked you’d like to see again? As we don't know what they have planned until Druid is announced this is just for fun really.

Some of the ones I would like to see in no particular order are:

• Aura to protect party from the elements around them
    • Resistance buff spells
    • Scout Spell – Summon temporary pet to scout area ahead
    • Camouflage
    • Entangle/Snare
    • Grease – AoE speed reduction and knockdown
    • Ultravision buff
    • Sleep – Like a Harmony type spell
    • Charm animal
    • Charmed animal buff
    • Restoration/Heal and a Mass Heal
    • Regeneration
    • Cures
    • Call Lightening -AoE
    • Strength buff
    • AC Buff
    • Shapeshift (What you can shift into increases with level)
    • Fire based DD and AoE
    • Free movement spell (you become immune to slow, cc and snare temporarily)
    • Snow Storm AoE
    • Wall of Fire – anything that passes through it takes damage
    • Different types of DoT’s
    • Earthquake spell
    • Sun spell (Undead DD or blind spell)

This post was edited by zepf at March 20, 2017 9:41 PM PDT
    • 1177 posts
    March 20, 2017 10:19 PM PDT

I'd love to see a few different root spells.  Maybe have one that completely immobilizes the entire body and one that just catches the feet.  An AE root spell would be pretty sweet, too, for emergencies.

• 589 posts
    March 20, 2017 11:36 PM PDT

Great list Zepf! 

I'd add...

* Damage shields / thorns

* Call of the Mist - like an AoE fog that disorients mobs or lowers their defence would be cool.

* Wind knockback spells or even more so a wind spell that knocks the mob up and into the air causing falling damage!

* Levitation!!

* Climbing Vines - Just a random thought, could there be a Vines spell line that makes vines grow on the rock face your trying to climb making it easier / safer to climb up rocky mountains edges (as climbing and a climbing skill is going to be in game) 

* Whispering winds - Attracts a mob towards the sound it can hear (away from the caster)

* SoW - obviously! 

Instead of grease they should make it more druidy by going for "Slippery Moss"

Love the scout skill! Maybe it is a bird to see over a large area from above.

- Also with Druids in mind, does everyone think it is important to make some spells outdoor only or is that too restrictive?

Shucklighter said:

I'd love to see a few different root spells.  Maybe have one that completely immobilizes the entire body and one that just catches the feet.  An AE root spell would be pretty sweet, too, for emergencies.

I was thinking of that too, grasping roots that grabs the arms and legs and stops them swinging.. but dont come and steal my enchanters mez thunder :)

This post was edited by Hokanu at March 20, 2017 11:41 PM PDT
    • 1177 posts
    March 20, 2017 11:47 PM PDT

Haha.  I want my crowd control Druid!

• 3676 posts
    March 21, 2017 5:21 AM PDT

This list sounds very heavily influenced by D&D haha. I am against Grease as it typically also affects party members and that can lead to some serious trolling. The other ones seem good though.

@Hokanu I like the idea out of outdoor-only spells. Makes a lot of sense for weather-control type spells. To balance out the restriction, those spells would just be more powerful than others.

• 316 posts
    March 21, 2017 9:54 AM PDT

I would like to see the snare comeback   instead of grease. I used Snare very often when pulling mobs to safe fighting spot. I love the scout idea. And I love the climbing vines idea.

Sow  naturally

some camo ability

Some charm ability

Dots and damage buff spells  like thorns etc

And maybe an enhanced perception ability to go along with the perception system they are putting in place. One that enhances for a short period.

Tracking ability like the one rangers get in eq-- The early druid tracking was only usefull to blind druids. When they nerfed it in early eq because they said it was too strong I could not find a mob on track that I could see onscreen at the time I used tracking

• 19 posts
    March 21, 2017 10:00 PM PDT

Thanks for the great responses and input guys! It's good to see what types of spells people like and would enjoy the druid having.  I have updated a list below according to your input and put in a couple of extras as well:

• Call of the Mist - AoE fog that disorients mobs and lowers their defence
    • Gale - Wind knockback spell or even more so a wind spell that knocks the mob up and into the air causing falling damage
    • Ensnaring Vines - AE root spell / grabs the arms and legs and stops them swinging
    • Spirit of Wolf - Buff that increases the casters movement speed
    • Climbing Vines - Vines grow on the rock face your trying to climb making it easier / safer to climb up rocky mountains edges (as climbing and a climbing skill is going to be in game) 
    • Whispering winds - Attracts a mob towards the sound it can hear (away from the caster)
    • Levitation
    • Sludge / Plant Growth - AoE speed reduction and knockdown
    • Camouflage - Makes the target invisible
    • Entangle/Snare
    • Sight of the Eagle - Improves vision by making it sharper. Can detect enemies easier, that otherwise may be hidden.
    • Charm Animal - Allows the caster to temporally control an animal as a pet
    • Charm Animal Buff - Makes the casters pet tougher
    • Shapeshift - Into different creatures all the way through the levels
    • Root - Holds the enemy in place for a temporary duration
    • Scout - Summon temporary animal pet to scout area ahead, if pet is attacked it vanishes and the spell ends
    • Wind walker - Free movement spell (you become immune to slow, cc and snare temporarily)
    • Searing Rays - Blind target
    • Damage Shield - Thorns, barbs, thistles etc.
    • Natures Guidance - Become one with nature and gain knowledge of the surrounding territory. Enhanced perception ability to go along with the perception system that enhances for a short period.
    • Track (Skill) - Allows the druid to track creatures across a vast area
    • Whip of Barbs - Vine whip of barbs, lashes out at creature in range causing melee damage
    • Protection from the Elements - Protect party from the elements around them
    • Sleep - Like a Harmony type spell
    • Cure Disease
    • Cure Poison
    • Storm Strength - Strength Buff
    • Skin Spells - AC Buff / HPs
    • Regen Spells
    • Healing Spells
    • Mass Heal Spell
    • Mass Regen Spell
    • Fire Based DD
    •  Fire Based AoE
    •  Water Based DD
    •  Water Based AoE
    •  Wind Based DD
    •  Wind Based AoE
    •  Frost Based DD
    •  Frost Based AoE
    •  Earth Based DD
    •  Earth Based AoE - Causes and Earthquake in the area where cast
    • Sun Strike - Undead DD Spell
    • Storm Based DD - Lightening Strike direct damage spell
    • Storm Based AoE - Call of Lightening Area of Effect spell
    • Wall of Water/Fire/Thorns - Conjure a wall of water or fire. Any creature that passes through it will take substantial damage
    • Summon Fey / Brownies
    • Whirlwind - Create a twister that causes massive damage to anyone in the path. Path is random and can effect group.
    • Animalist resurrection - Resurrect a dead animal, healing all wounds and curing all taints. The animal becomes your pet until it dies again. Pet can not be resurrected twice.
    • Numerous nature based DoT's

This post was edited by zepf at March 21, 2017 10:46 PM PDT
    • 303 posts
    March 23, 2017 10:59 PM PDT

Avalanche - Maybe if the Druid was near enough to a mountainside, he could cause some falling boulders/etc? A powerful but highly situational spell, of course.

Lightning Strike - Outdoor only, an awesome single bolt of lightning spectacularly strikes a single target. Hopefully the strike would begin very high up in the sky, not from a little puff of cloud gathering 20 feet above the target's head.

Quicksand-type - Liquify the earth beneath targets' feet to snare them.

Ravenwhisper - Animation of a bird flying down and "speaking" into the Druid's ear, giving the Druid some information about... something. Maybe the Druid could choose to ask for information from a list of choices which would make sense for a bird to know something about.

Animate Tree - Very high-level spell - temporarily animates and gives life to a tree, allowing it to fight for a short while. Maybe it would have to stay in place and would not be able to walk - would save some of the graphic animator's time, at least.

Call Animal - The Druid lets out a loud sound of an animal they wish to call - a wolf's howl, an eagle cry, a leopard/bear growl, for instance. It'd be loud, badass, and audible to other players. Then, after 30 secs or so, that animal walks over to the Druid out of the forest or wherever they are - maybe the animal called would depend on the environment, so a Druid could let out a snake or spider hiss in a desert, for example - and fights for the Druid for a while.

Some ideas. Druids could also use more spells involving stone.

This post was edited by Alexander at March 23, 2017 11:06 PM PDT
    • 42 posts
    April 20, 2017 7:45 PM PDT
    I think you have a great list going. I love visual effects. I think it would be nice to have a root, or snare... any spell really, mimic the environment. For instance an ice root would put a monsters feet in ice and in the woods the graphic would be vines.

One thing about Druid heals that has been a thorn in my side for many years is that we mop up the hp that nobody else catches. Wards go first. There is no need for any other kind of heal until they fail. Reactive heals are next and they go off before mine. This doesn't just hurt on a parse... it makes me in affective until the other heals fail. What if as a Druid, I can buff the other classes with a regenerative proc to aid a ward. Or cure when another class lands a reactive heal.

It wouldn't make a giant difference if your solo healing a group, but could be a game changer in a raid.
    • 248 posts
    April 25, 2017 5:43 PM PDT

I'm just praying for no spell/skill trees. Drives me nuts! ESO is insane. I really haven't gotten into the abilities of my toon there because I don't want to have to think that hard. I love learning about my class, but... really? The book in EQ was actually good, but I would have made tabbed divisions for types of spells. That way, when you mem'd a spell, it would go right to the section it belonged in, and in order.

• 3 posts
    April 27, 2017 7:26 PM PDT

Sow!!!

I'd like them to have group and single target heals and not all HOT's.  I don't mind having a few HOT's but they should have some single target healing.  I'm hoping there will be options to build them as a melee or spell caster depending on you play style.  Druids are a great hybrid class but they really should be a healing class with some CC and good spell DPS and be able to do melee at the cost of throwing spells if you're more focused on that.

• 260 posts
    May 2, 2017 9:36 PM PDT

Ooo fun, I'll jump in:

Healing Spells
    Life Force - Resurrect a downed ally. Ally temporarily 
    Life Jolt - Shock a downed ally back to life at 50% health. The ally will die in 1 min and cannot be resurrected for another 5 mins afterward. (pinch rez)
    Syntropic Force - Heals the target over time. The amount of health healed per tick is expelled as a pulsating damaging AoE.
    Essence of Vitality - Heals target.

Utility Spells
    Convene - The group convenes with nature, absorbing its energy. Group members acquire temporary acclimation to the current environment.
    Delicate Balance - Emit a balancing atmosphere. Group members near the Druid are temporarily unaffected environmental damage and debuffs.
    Mana Shift - The target's mana color switches to reflect the current environment.
    Tempest Surge - Target gains movement speed.
    Eternal Connectivity - The Druid blends two locations into one, allowing his/her group members to choose which location they would like to go.
    Nature's Paradox - Enemies lose a random acclimation resistance (AoE). Your allies weapons are enchanted with the countering element.

This post was edited by Syntro at May 2, 2017 9:37 PM PDT
    • 77 posts
    May 8, 2017 4:45 PM PDT

If they would pretty much clone the EQ1 Druid, I would be very pleased.  But barring that, here are some spells/abilities I would really want the Pantheon Druid to have:

Individual & Group Porting to Druid Rings

Egress & Succor (Emergency individual and group relocation to safe spot within zone, clears all aggro)

Tracking

Foraging

Spirit of the Wolf (Movement speed enhancement)

Levitation

Camouflage (Invisibility, both individual and group)

Snare

Root

Charm Animal (Always helps to have a loyal pet at your side)

Befriend Animal (Animal faction modifier, hopefully an innate skill rather than a buff)

Wolf Form (Individual & Group -- Potentially including a beneficial faction modifier)

Harmony (Aggro radius reduction -- helps to split mobs)

And of course healing, including regeneration and heal over time spells.

• 288 posts
    February 3, 2018 7:35 PM PST

zepf said:

Hey guys, I would like to hear what types of druid spells you would like to see in game. Do you have any cool new ideas for the Druid or old ones from another game that you really liked you’d like to see again? As we don't know what they have planned until Druid is announced this is just for fun really.

Some of the ones I would like to see in no particular order are:

• Aura to protect party from the elements around them
    • Resistance buff spells
    • Scout Spell – Summon temporary pet to scout area ahead
    • Camouflage
    • Entangle/Snare
    • Grease – AoE speed reduction and knockdown
    • Ultravision buff
    • Sleep – Like a Harmony type spell
    • Charm animal
    • Charmed animal buff
    • Restoration/Heal and a Mass Heal
    • Regeneration
    • Cures
    • Call Lightening -AoE
    • Strength buff
    • AC Buff
    • Shapeshift (What you can shift into increases with level)
    • Fire based DD and AoE
    • Free movement spell (you become immune to slow, cc and snare temporarily)
    • Snow Storm AoE
    • Wall of Fire – anything that passes through it takes damage
    • Different types of DoT’s
    • Earthquake spell
    • Sun spell (Undead DD or blind spell)

Druid would probably be my #1 choice, or right up there, if they got a mez-like spell, like "Sleep" as you have it on your list, though I'm not sure you mean for it to function like mez.

• 19 posts
    March 2, 2018 10:09 PM PST

Hey all. Just wanted to drop my 2 cents in on this topic, as I'm thinking about playing a druid on release:

First, I'll say that I played a Chloromancer in Rift for a long time and I absolutely loved it. That being said though, I don't think the Druid is likely to be considered a main healer in PRotF. The Chloromancer was very much a main healer. Based on what I've seen from the Shaman livestream, it looks to me as though the Cleric and Shaman will be capable of main healing. If that's the case (and of course we all know Clerics will likely be the best healer in the game), then I find it hard to imagine they'd design 3 classes, or 25% of the classes in game at launch, who can fill the same role.

I played EQ from launch through LDoN and always marveled at the range of abilities and applications the Druid class had, especially once Luclin came out and it appeared as though they got some love. As someone who was a main tank for a top-tier raid guild I never really felt like I could take the time to level more than one alt, and I was already working on a shaman when Luclin came out, so I never started a druid (and always regretted it).

I do hope the Druid has healing abilities, but honestly it's the utility and support role that I find attractive about playing a Druid. If they're capable as main healers in nearly all situations then I imagine that's what will be *expected" of druids when they join a group, and if I wanted to always be the main healer, I'd play a Cleric.

• 1882 posts
    March 5, 2018 10:16 AM PST

StromVillain said:

First, I'll say that I played a Chloromancer in Rift for a long time and I absolutely loved it. That being said though, I don't think the Druid is likely to be considered a main healer in PRotF. The Chloromancer was very much a main healer. Based on what I've seen from the Shaman livestream, it looks to me as though the Cleric and Shaman will be capable of main healing. If that's the case (and of course we all know Clerics will likely be the best healer in the game), then I find it hard to imagine they'd design 3 classes, or 25% of the classes in game at launch, who can fill the same role.

I do hope the Druid has healing abilities, but honestly it's the utility and support role that I find attractive about playing a Druid. If they're capable as main healers in nearly all situations then I imagine that's what will be *expected" of druids when they join a group, and if I wanted to always be the main healer, I'd play a Cleric.

I'm 95% sure Druids are going to be main healers. 3 healer options, 3 tank options, ?? DPS options, ?? CC options. 

VR has said all classes will be able to fulfill their main role in any content so I'd imagine you will be stuck doing the healing if you roll a druid. 

• 19 posts
    March 5, 2018 4:26 PM PST

Iksar said:

I'm 95% sure Druids are going to be main healers. 3 healer options, 3 tank options, ?? DPS options, ?? CC options. 

VR has said all classes will be able to fulfill their main role in any content so I'd imagine you will be stuck doing the healing if you roll a druid. 

What about support classes?  I assumed CC would be considered one part of a greater overall support role, and the support classes would be split amongst CC and buff/debuff classes. If that turns out to be a correct assumption, then the druid could potentially be slotted as a support class (with healing ablilities) while not intended as a main healer. Many games have more options for DPS classes than healing classes so I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it shakes out here as well.

The break-down as I see it:

Healers: Cleric, Shaman

Tanks: Warrior, Dire Lord, Paladin

DPS: Ranger, Rogue, Monk (?), Wizard, Necro

Support: Summoner, Enchanter, Druid, Bard

Don't get me wrong here.... I *do* think the Druid will be able to heal. I just hope they're not classified as a healer primarily.

• 1882 posts
    March 5, 2018 5:03 PM PST

Pantheon is using a "Quaternity" set up when it comes to classes, from the FAQ:

"Pantheon does indeed use a class based system and those classes do fulfill roles especially in group and raid contexts. There will also be opportunities to focus each class on more specific and specialized roles, especially at higher levels. That said, because we feel it’s important that classes fulfill distinct roles, creating interdependence is vital to a fulfilling social and cooperative experience. If everyone is the same, this simply cannot be achieved. Likewise, if every class is absolutely unique, grouping can become overly complicated and, in some cases, certain classes could be less desirable to have in a group than others. To avoid this, Pantheon will use a quaternity system consisting of tank, healer, DPS, and crowd-control."

I just don't see Druid fitting in as DPS, Tank, or Crowd Control. Only having 2 out of 12 (14 post-release) classes as healer sounds like it would be a terrible mistake. It's possible of course that they won't be healers...but I'd feel bad about them having just 2.

• 270 posts
    March 6, 2018 7:56 AM PST

Druids have classically been healers. So I assume druids will be some type of main healer with dmg output. I am pretty sure druids have already been classified as healer/support. Healing being the main and support secondary.

• 293 posts
    June 30, 2018 9:20 PM PDT

No Spirit of the Wolf? :D I always loved the group buffs and healing as a Druid in EQ. Hope they are similar here.

This post was edited by Bronsun at June 30, 2018 9:21 PM PDT
    • 7 posts
    July 2, 2018 6:06 AM PDT

Bronsun said:

No Spirit of the Wolf? :D I always loved the group buffs and healing as a Druid in EQ. Hope they are similar here.

I was wastching a Pantheon stream, but don't remember which. I saw a Cleric's spell book and one of the spells was Spirit of the Cheetah and it lasted 24 minutes. I'm pretty sure that will be a druid spell. I'll go see if I can find the stream again.

EDIT: Found it. As soon as the video starts, pause it and look at the spell book. Then, at 52 seconds in, the spell is moused over and gives the spells details.

For some reason the insert video function is not working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwEiwRLQzTU

This post was edited by Stitches1974 at July 2, 2018 6:16 AM PDT
    • 897 posts
    July 2, 2018 7:07 AM PDT

They later stated this spell was a gm spell avaliable to all current toons for testing purposes.

• 7 posts
    July 2, 2018 7:23 AM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

They later stated this spell was a gm spell avaliable to all current toons for testing purposes.

That was my guess as soon as I saw it. That's not a Cleric spell.

• Wig
    • 171 posts
    July 2, 2018 7:46 AM PDT
    Rangers get a passive ability to increase movement speed outdoors. I’m assuming druids will not get this if they get SoW.
    • 7 posts
    July 2, 2018 10:02 AM PDT

Wig said: Rangers get a passive ability to increase movement speed outdoors. I’m assuming druids will not get this if they get SoW.

I was just bringing up that there was a speed buff in game. Not talking about passives. Cheetah could also be this game's version of SoW. Still too early to say though.