Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

A nice short question today

• 363 posts
    March 21, 2017 6:09 PM PDT

Because you guys are the only company out there that's willing to make a MMO which doesnt confine to the "norm" of the last decade. You guys refuse to succumb to the pressure of the masses. You guys are our amazing saviors. We, the fallen, support you. We, the fallen, will rise again. <3

• 211 posts
    March 21, 2017 8:36 PM PDT

I want to play a new MMO, with the old rulesets of classic EQ. I find enjoyment in current MMOs with all of their different styles, but there is no option for the EQ/FFXI style. Pantheon is my last hope.

This post was edited by AgentGenX at March 21, 2017 8:37 PM PDT
    • 162 posts
    March 21, 2017 9:34 PM PDT

Well, the answer is pretty simple. Even tho Brad sold out on vanguard, granted i don't know his reasons, don't care to be honest. But he made Everquest and Vanguard happen, all of which were amazing games. Not only that but the concept of difficulty and pretty much forcing people to group puts a smile on my face. So many MMO's don't focus around the groups anymore, and that's pretty much the reason we play MMO's. We need that interaction, without it there is no reason for the game to even be online. 

Love the work, love the ideas. Pretty much says it all.

• 257 posts
    March 21, 2017 9:47 PM PDT

I was told there would be punch and pie.

• 1303 posts
    March 22, 2017 7:59 AM PDT

I follow Pantheon (exclusively) because I find it overwhelmingly annoying that so many games now try to hand-hold the players. They guide you through every aspect of gameplay, and spoonfeed everything to the point that you rarely have to read anything or think at all. Just fast click thru the prescribed dialogues as quickly as possible to proceed to slaughtering as fast as possible to promote the fastest xp possible. I detest logging in with the intent of playing with friends or family only to find that I cant even see them because they are on different stages of the themepark progression. I dislike the design that means to placate those who feel they have wasted their time if they can't log in, get a group, run a dungeon and get at least one upgrade in 30 minutes of playtime. I dislike the mentality that people want to play a coop version of an MMO, where their insular group is wholly unaffected by any of the other players in what I prefer to be a huge, open, free, living and breathing world. I'm sick of gimmicky, irritating invisible walls placed in my path out of laziness or lack of creativity. 

I'm here because I really have hope that one company will open things up again to thinkers, rather than reduce the experience to the lowest common denominators. 

• 6 posts
    March 22, 2017 12:53 PM PDT

To toss a quick answer and express my opinion.. Look at what the genre has become.. Look how it changed from the EQ days until now..

The big companies have heard and fullfilled the screams and demands of the players the last years for:

1. Cannot find a group, there are no tanks, there are no healers
    2. Cannot find mob XYZ, where is the quest spot for UVW, etc.
    3. Mobs are too hard, there is no solo content
    4. Too many spells and buffs, too complex

Now, to be honest - there are also many new good things they brought to us. I like the AH, the mail system, LFG-Tools and so on, although I would be a bit more restrictive to it.

To come back to the first 4 points from above. I know it was sometimes hard to find a tank or a healer, heck I was sometimes looking for 15-45 Minutes to find a decent group. But, what did this to my playstyle?

I was polite, I helped and supported others, I was not AFK and I tried my best to be a good companion, because I was dependend on other players to be successful -> I tried to build up a good reputation and that aided to gain more and more friends.

After they have killed the holy trinity, players became dispensable. Conversation became obsolete, honesty and courtesy had to make room for "rush" and "ranting" - There is no hello, no good-bye when you get a group, you even barely get an answer when you ask. If you don't know something and ask, you are the noob and get flamed.

Years ago, the knowlegde you gained to solve quests and where to find the right mobs, was substantial and worth something. Today, you have a shiny map that even shows you where to walk to. In Revelation Online (google it, if you dont know it) you even click on the quest and it auto-pathes you to the correct spot -what?? There is no meaning to ask anyone for anything anymore.

In addition with one-shot mobs and 6 spells in your hotbar, you actually play in a meaningless world, with no conversation, where everybody behaves like selfish selfhealing mini god.

So, to make a long story short - I hope Panthoen breathes life back again into the aspect of MMO - playing together and depending on each ofther, make it count to group up, make it count to talk, make it count to achieve something together and buffs, buffs and buffs.

I hope I just did not raise the bar? :)

• 363 posts
    March 22, 2017 2:10 PM PDT

Ummaguma said:

Simple answer...   because I want a Game that kicks my ass, so when I conquer it, I feel like I have achived something...   

But...but...where's the glowy things leading me to my next quest? :(

This post was edited by Anistosoles at March 22, 2017 2:11 PM PDT
    • 93 posts
    March 22, 2017 11:01 PM PDT

I did not start mmos as early as some here.  I never played EQ.  My first real graphical (not a mud) online experience was Neverwinter Nights back in the early 2000's.  Player created content/worlds, was an eye opener and so much fun.  After that I found out about EQ2 and started to get into that but my PC was struggling with it, so I went to World of Warcraft when it launched.

I've never really played an mmo of the likes of EQ or what Pantheon will be. I want to try something different, to broaden my online gaming horizons.  I'm used to quest markers above NPC heads, I'm used to maps that show me where I need to go,  I'm used to quick travel and group finders.  I'm used to relaxing in my chair and cruising along through content solo while working on my gear and using recount to see if my dps is above everyone elses or at least comparable to them when I do group up.

That is why I am here.

• 690 posts
    March 23, 2017 1:16 AM PDT

Because you are making the only mmo that seems like it will be challenging, non-repetative, immersive, and highly social.

You claim many times that it won't be EQ, but a good hybrid of old and new ideas to make a new, great game. I like that.

You are bullheaded and make decisions simply because you yourselves feel they are best, even if you don't have the strongest lore/balance reasons for them. Which is great!

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at March 23, 2017 2:03 AM PDT
    • 172 posts
    March 23, 2017 5:13 PM PDT

Because EQ1 did soooo many things right.  The games that followed were designed in a way that that made them very one dimensional.  Sure, they had all sorts of bells and whistles.  But those bells and whistles typically removed more from the game than they added.

And I believe the few things about EQ1 that needed some work...   Those things will be improved upon vastly this time around.  :)

Thats my perspective on all of this.

This post was edited by JDNight at March 23, 2017 5:13 PM PDT
    • 154 posts
    March 26, 2017 3:27 PM PDT

Why am I here? It's not because of EQ as per se. Though it's a part of it. It's because I "want" not a throw back to EQ exactly. I prefer not to look into the past with rose colored glasses.

I'm here because of Pantheon, what it portrays itself to be.... A game where community matters. Where coperation between players matters. In too many modern MMO's there's no sense of comadre. The norm today seems to be to breeze through content and to complain about any bumps on the way.  It doesn't seem to be about enjoying the game or forming meaningful bonds between players. If I wanted to play a game of instant gratification, I would not be here posting my thoughts, sharing my experiences with others here. I'd be in someother game mindlessly following a path of cerebral destruction. Many other games do not offer challenges that require teamwork on a lvl that gives any sense of accomplishment. I'm here because I yearn for an immersive world where the combined actions of myself and that of others has purpose and meaning.

I admit I'd like to see Pantheon have tough mobs as in EQ and trains to save us from becomming complacent or borred. The enviroment factor seems really kewl. I very much want to see Pantheon's smarter mobs that may try to bypass tanks to get to healers and dpsy classes ( I say this because I want to be challenged. I don't want it to be a game I can play in my sleep ). 

As I read more and more about Pantheon I realized that I had to start looking at Pantheon not as a successor to EQ, but as it's own game. I'm now starting see Patheon for what it is..or rather what it will be, according to what I've read anyway. It's roots are in EQ, yes, though this game is a something new. I'm trying to pay attention to what VR has to say....the direction it wants to go with this. It's hard, yet I want to look towards the future possiblities of not EQ, rather I want to see Patheon.

• 93 posts
    March 26, 2017 6:45 PM PDT

My axe is thirsty, and I seek adventure.

This post was edited by halflingwarrior at March 26, 2017 6:46 PM PDT
    • 154 posts
    March 27, 2017 2:53 PM PDT

halflingwarrior said:

My axe is thirsty, and I seek adventure.

I'm sure we all are ready to join you in your adventures. Tell ya what.... swing a path through a horde of foes and I'll be behind ya ev...ery step of the way. My spells will finish off any you may miss.

• 80 posts
    March 27, 2017 7:00 PM PDT

I think you know my answer Kilsin

• 39 posts
    March 27, 2017 10:19 PM PDT

For the loot! No one has said anything about that...! /shocked

Well.. i think its for the comradery more than anything. Let me share... Actually having to /tell people or /ooc looking for folks to do simple dungeon stuff. EQ1 & EQ2 have their mercenaries now. And those games are so far ahead of themselves impossible to come back to. Overwhelming. . I have been dabbling past few weeks playing with some friends on EQ2 after a 7 year hiatus. The new time progress server (stormhold). Having a blast but... for once in many years thru many games i had to ask for help. I was shy and embarassed. Feared the unknown. I sent a random fury a /tell that was in another noobie zone (wailing caves), asked would like to join Fallen gate as me and my RL friend (Me a zerk he was a Lock) needed a healer. We actually met a friend. Something i havent done in many years. SOmeone like us casually playing after a long hiatus. /friend was in order and was an old lesson i had forgotten for many years. Even after the phat lootz.!

A feeling that maybe this game might.......make us all feel again. Because we have all been there. Comradery.... Is it really about the loot in the end :) ??

This post was edited by Roenyn at March 27, 2017 10:21 PM PDT
    • 99 posts
    March 28, 2017 4:18 AM PDT
    Because i belive yall wont be catering to people crying stuff takes to long or is to hard. I want to play a game again that you can have a sense of accomplishment.
    • 12 posts
    March 28, 2017 6:19 AM PDT

Because you are creating a truly immersive world that will encourage players to be sociable.

• 232 posts
    March 28, 2017 6:50 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

I wanted to ask you all just simply, why do you follow our game and support us? #PRF #Communitymatters

Quite simply, I love EQ1, and the listed game tenants for Pantheon mirror a lot of the old school MMO mentality.  There is most certainly a demand for a modern take on old school MMO's, and no one is carrying that torch as loudly and proudly as Pantheon.

• 801 posts
    March 28, 2017 8:36 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

I wanted to ask you all just simply, why do you follow our game and support us? #PRF #Communitymatters

I have followed Brad, and many others since the opening of EQ. Followed some stuff prior but mostly when the game first aired online. I did not move to vanguard as the pre launch and EQ was holding me too tight close to EQ raiding etc.. RPG to MMO?? what else is there to say....

Plus we had some really good people working on all the projects, so what is saying this one wont be done well?

• 139 posts
    March 28, 2017 10:13 AM PDT

Wobels said: Because i belive yall wont be catering to people crying stuff takes to long or is to hard. I want to play a game again that you can have a sense of accomplishment.

+ 1

What drew me in was seeing the UI in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3ykz1PIM1M. Then Reading what the game is about gave me the impression Pantheon will have the style and substance of early EQ.

Most if not all new mmos are minimalistic, refined and balanced. The content is all too based on an addictive grind of quest hubs and quick dungeon grouping, rather than experiencing a challenging fantasy world with a vibrant community and feel.

I'm also hoping brad is burnt out with ideas, beliefs and vision. It's like the difference between Rogue one and The Phantom Menace.

• 32 posts
    March 28, 2017 10:36 AM PDT

Nostalgia

• 14 posts
    March 28, 2017 6:46 PM PDT

I have been reading the forum for months, and finally made the decision that some of my tax refund would be better invested here than anywhere else I could think of. Why?  Because I love gaming.  It started with MUDs in the 80's and some decent single player games.  I found EQ in 2000 and fell in love.  I remember just gawking the first time I watched a Bard kiting a bunch of mobs.  I remember getting destroyed by Griffon the first time I was in the East Commonlands.  I remember the world/server events like Halloween...not with cute decorations...but with giant skellies that chased you all over the zone.  I remember my hands shaking during raids, my heart racing.  I remember running to PoK just for the buffs.  Come to think of it I remember a lot of running.  EQ was a wonderful experience and time in my life, but the very best thing I got out of EQ was the friends.  Friends that I am still in touch with today.  Friends that went together to EQ2 and Vanguard and AOC, and even WoW for a bit.  Friends that I have been fortunate enough to meet up with at various times in Las Vegas or Philly or Orlando, and even a couple of guild Meet ups in the middle of the country.  Friends that like me have turned into online gypsies going from MMORPG to MMORPG looking to find something that we have to work for and not buy.  Pantheon needs to be that.

I want that again, I want what EQ demanded of players.  Intelligence, Skill, some level of social ability, hunger, daring, and the guts to ask a necro you don't know to get your corpse out of a hole you fell into....

• 22 posts
    March 29, 2017 8:34 PM PDT

The biggest reason that I follow and support this project (besides my addiction to the MMO's) is that I desire the MMO Genre to branch back out towards a more "hardcore" grouping experience. The best times that I have had in this genre has always when I was involved with others players within the game and I feel strongly that developers crafting more solo oriented experiences has neutered MMO's into a more bland experience than intended/neccessary.

• 71 posts
    March 30, 2017 7:32 AM PDT

Because of all these answers.  Kane especially said it well.

And because I have hope, hope that VR sticks to the vision and their tenets.