Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

A nice short question today

• 9115 posts
    March 20, 2017 3:54 AM PDT

I wanted to ask you all just simply, why do you follow our game and support us? #PRF #Communitymatters

• 17 posts
    March 20, 2017 4:01 AM PDT
    Because I was lost in the world of Norrath growing up as a child, since then no mmo comes close - this game feels like old school eqoa and I want it so bad!
    • 409 posts
    March 20, 2017 4:06 AM PDT

deleted

This post was edited by Nimryl at August 23, 2017 8:07 AM PDT
  • March 20, 2017 4:12 AM PDT

Believe it or not because cause i miss corpse runs, long epic weapon quests, the feeling you get when youve been camping that mob for hours and it finally pops and drops the item you have been looking for, Druid/Wizard ports, No horses or other transportation, no question marks over quest givers heads, not getting level 50 in a week. Heres hoping this game delivers on all those.

• 793 posts
    March 20, 2017 4:32 AM PDT

Because you all are creating a game of substance. One with challenges and excitement, one that encourages players to interact and cooperate.

A game that should in theory, keep us all filled with the desire to log on each night, to attempt to reach the next milestone, or finally get that one item we'd been working at.

A game that quite simply is more about the journey and the in-game experiences, than about the experience points earned meter.

This post was edited by Fulton at March 20, 2017 4:32 AM PDT
    • 105 posts
    March 20, 2017 4:42 AM PDT

Because you promised to bring back the soul of gaming and make a new home for gamers like myself.

• 9115 posts
    March 20, 2017 4:58 AM PDT

Some really good reasons so far, keep them coming :)

• 839 posts
    March 20, 2017 5:06 AM PDT

Because exactly what you guys have said Pantheon is designed around is exactly what i am missing in every MMO i have played since EQ. 

After getting immediately bored with all the mmo's out there.. I have been googling "challenging group mmo" for a long time hoping some forum somewhere willl point me to somthing that has what i am looking for and then one day...

I am pretty sure it was actually Kruxus posting his "Defining the magic of EQ" up on an online game magazine comments section that i came across one day.. i read it, it instilled so much happiness to read it and feel everything come rushing back again and I knew if this guy supported Pantheon i had to know more about it. Within only a few moments of reading what you guys wanted to bring to the table I was pledging.. and well the rest is history! 

For the second time ever i feel like i am home again online and we havent even launched yet!

• 5 posts
    March 20, 2017 5:26 AM PDT

It's a good question.  I'll try to provide an equally good answer.

1.)  I honestly miss classic EQ.  As I've said before it has a certain magic that the genre has lost trying to cater to everyone.  Be great at one thing or mediocre at many things.  I've played literally every really decent MMO in the past what 20 years now, and I found them all lacking.  I'm not looking for a EQ clone necessarily, my hope is the game will take the strengths of that game and combine it with the modern innovations though not conveniences.  Having heard about plans for a 'reincarnation' type system similar to the one found in DDO was quite refreshing as I really do like that system a lot.  It maintains the low end content as valueble as the high end content, and perhaps even more importantly it keeps players cycling through low end content without trivializing it.  This means when a new player enters the game for the very first time, there is an excellent chance they will have other players to meet and play with.  If implimented correctly this could have the very same effect in this game it has in DDO.  New players finding groups, joining the community, seeing experienced players in action, and never having to impliment xp boosts and merc healers and other such game breaking non-sense.

2.)  I'm sick to death of the cash shops.  Whether the shop sells P2W items or cosmetics doesn't even matter.  Having to farm out gear even cosmetic gear or even earn them through achievements is the only way to fly in my opinion.  From a revenue standpoint having goals that require time and effort makes the game as a whole stronger.  Especially in a game where community and team gameplay is king.  If I only need to spend 25 seconds clicking through a cash shop to completely obliterate even a cosmetic goal, how many hour of play did you sacrifice for a couple bucks?  Now that I won't be grouping for x items it has also limited the number of people and available groups for said camp.

3.)  I like to believe that with this many years of experience the developers have realized that expansions can kill a game.  The potentially uncomfortable truth is every virtual square foot of their digital world has value, and every item, and mob.  Creating anything that reduces the value of that real estate is costing the game more in the long term than it's making.  My idea is that with the vast experience here they will do the right thing, and maintain or increase values in the game with any aditional content they create.  Also, who said content aditions needed to be end-game?  Isn't raising level caps and adding stronger gear than the game presently contains just a recipe for inflation?  Think Equal to not Greater than.

4.)  I'm also hoping to see an end to 'alternate currency' and a real economy.  Admittedly the currency in classic eq may not have been the strongest example though it wasn't worthless, but I'm hoping this time will be different.  I've played so many games where the currency had no real value that it's a joke.  In order for it to have real value it must be needed for something.  Repairing gear and buying reagents is scraping the bottom of the barrel really.  Though in more than a few games I've played that was exactly the case.  Why do I need these coins?  What can I buy with them that I cannot acquire any other way?  Gold farmers/sellers are a huge annoyance and that is one of the dangers of a strong economy, but there are plenty of ways to neutralize gold sellers without compromising the actual players.  Strict limitations on trial accounts in terms of buying/selling/trading, cap their coins ultra low, restrict chat lines, or simply don't offer them in the first place.  Force trial accounts to be linked to bought/paying accounts.  Force the gold sellers to buy an account, to distribute their trial accounts, and then bust all the accounts at once.  Forcing them to buy more.  If they are going to exploit you to make money, you should feel perfectly justified exploiting them even harder.

5.)  Crafting that makes sense, enhances the economy, and doesn't become useless throughout the game.  A great example is the crafting system from DAoC.  There was no gathering, the only means of procuring resources was purchasing them from vendors in town, or breaking down gear for it's material components (primary component only, and less than creation requires).  Because purchasing mats using the games currency was not optional, the coins had a means of being removed from the board naturally.  Rare drops to make the strongest recipes did not bind, so they could be sold or traded at will.

I know, I'm picky, opinionated, and verbose.  Sorry.  I support the game because those things *could* easily become true, and more.  I want a game I love to play long term, to enjoy with people who love to play it.  That alchemy doesn't happen by accident though.

• 441 posts
    March 20, 2017 5:28 AM PDT

1. I want my EQ1 days back but wrapped up in new graphics and better ananimations. Also an updated UI. Tried to get my wife to play EQ1 with me and it was to old school. So only a newer MMO will get us there. 

2. I have held off backing you guys for years. I only started backing the game a month ago because of two things. The progress I have seen and because of the whispers of angel investors. If you are going to put your money down on something. You want to know it has a chance of getting there. The risk seemed smaller so here I am. 

• 3237 posts
    March 20, 2017 5:35 AM PDT

I would reference every individual tenet/feature of the game, but this would go on forever.  That's what did it for me though; VR coming out with a gameplan that delivers on all of the elements that are important to me in an MMO  --  one only needs to scroll through each link below the "About Pantheon" section of the footer on this page to see why I am here.  You can then back all of that up with the team behind it and all of the progress that has been realized/demonstrated thus far, and it's easy to see why Pantheon has the most loyal and dedicated fan base of any MMO currently in development.  To top it all off ... this community ties everything together.  The community plays a huge role in the "fun factor" for a game and this is the type of community that I would like to be involved with for many years moving forward. When all is said and done, I like to think that I'll be able to have my cake, eat it, ask for seconds and thirds, and then have more cake delivered to the homes of all my friends and family.  My only regret is that I didn't take up C++ in college and that I can't do more to offer my support.

This post was edited by oneADseven at March 20, 2017 6:04 AM PDT
    • 763 posts
    March 20, 2017 5:37 AM PDT

Because, after 17 years in the wilderness ....
    ... hopping from one single-player 'MMO' after another ....

Somebody FINALLY woke up and remembered the ABC that made early MMOs fantastic!

Atmosphere : You were in their world ... it was dangerous .... and it felt it!
    Bravery : Sticking to your Vision (TM) rather than letting us players water it down!
    Challenge : Took me over 6 months to get to level 20 in EQ1

Evoras, is hoping for Pantheon to be a home for him and his many pets!

• 41 posts
    March 20, 2017 5:52 AM PDT

#becauseofbrad

• 112 posts
    March 20, 2017 5:52 AM PDT

A simple question with a complex answer.  For myself, in rank and order...

1. I believe in your product.  VR shares my opinion that a challenging, socially driven game can succeed in today's market.

2. I think your approach to game development and your community deserves recognition and support.  You have been transparent and engaging in the process without compromising quality to appease the masses.

3. By following and supporting the game progress I hope to influence the final state of the game even if just slightly. 

• 248 posts
    March 20, 2017 5:53 AM PDT

Because I miss that you need people to achieve your goals.
    Because I dislike being able to solo to max level in no time, no matter what class I play.
    Because I hate exclamation marks, golden ribbons floating in the air to lead you, maps with everything and his mother marked.
    Because I like multi level dungeons.
    Because I want to be scared, lost, sitting on the edge of my seat, worrying if I'm going to die - because death matters.
    Because it seems like everything will take more time. Which will give me time to enjoy every nook and cranny.

These are just a few of the reasons. The biggest reason is hope. I really hope this will be a game I can enjoy for many years.

-sorte.

• 279 posts
    March 20, 2017 5:57 AM PDT

That perfect timing of the first stream on the same day EQ: Next got canceled. You had me at "colored mana system".

• 626 posts
    March 20, 2017 6:08 AM PDT

I'm here because of EQ. As a young boy I got into EQ on launch and played for 5 years without ever reaching level 60. My highest was a level 54 and I had many 35+ characters. Yet even though I never reached max level I had more fun on EQ then any other game to date. I miss the challenge, miss the community, and miss the feeling I got when just gaining a single Level. 

When I look at Pantheon I look at my last hope for good MMO gameplay. I know its a lot to ask someone to bring back a childhood memory like that, but if anyone can do it, its this team. 

• 17 posts
    March 20, 2017 6:31 AM PDT

I've come to realize that I'm finally fed up with the WoW design philosophy. MMO games being anti-social and lacking any sense of challenge, reward and immersion no longer have my interest. And they're, like, 95% of the current MMO market.

I miss the old days in FFXI, where you cared for the world and the other players, where everything was not designed specifically for an artifical achievement or a nice mount. Basically, Pantheon is my last hope for a nice answer to pretty much any post from Wolfshead. I fully agree with the guy's views and he explains better than me what's wrong with MMOs nowadays. If Pantheon fails, I'll consider I'm done with MMOs.

• 9115 posts
    March 20, 2017 6:35 AM PDT

I am loving these replies, lot's of variety and detail, nice job :)

• 1618 posts
    March 20, 2017 6:39 AM PDT

Hope and Change

• 37 posts
    March 20, 2017 6:41 AM PDT

Very fond memories of Everquest and the players I met there. Brad McQuaid was responsible for a big part of that and even though Vanguard didn't make it, I enjoyed many aspects of that, as well.

The team focus, in which everyone has a roll to fill, I love. I want a good multi-player game that has substance, opportunity for discovery, a chance to escape from everyday stresses, possibly a little roleplay and fun. It appears that Pantheon is striving to be that and, thankfully, I am able to support that financially.

Ari

"And in the passage from the cradle to the grave, we are born madly dancing."

• 6 posts
    March 20, 2017 6:47 AM PDT
    I support pantheon because I miss slow pace mmos and the community they foster. I miss achieving role based goal objectives and cc
    • 85 posts
    March 20, 2017 6:47 AM PDT
    Because I have spent the better part of two decades looking for a game that gives me that EQ feel.

More generally, I like to support the development of games that interest me and move the genre.
    • 4 posts
    March 20, 2017 6:50 AM PDT

Because i enjoy the old school mmos like EQ that were closer to playing classic DnD. 

I'm hoping for challenge, risk, reward, and compelling lore. 

Looks promising so far.

• 24 posts
    March 20, 2017 7:06 AM PDT

Hoping if i lurk long enough i will get sweetloots!