Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Mob leveling Mechanic

• 511 posts
    March 17, 2017 3:15 PM PDT

I was sitting here playing EQ and thinking about Mob levels. Most zones in EQ and in VG had mobs that could spawn in a range of levels. I.E. a Phlarg fiend might be anywhere from lvl 12-15. The higher level mobs hit a bit harder and have a bit more HP than the lower level ones and give more XP. But what if rather then automatically justs spawning at lvl 15 (could still have a chance to but a rarer chance) the longer the mob is up the higher level it becomes. So say they get 10 XP per minute they are up. Within 10 minutes they gain 1 level, so in 30 minutes they would gain the max level of 15 (and then stop).

Groups that wanted to grind mobs would get a lot of lower level ones, but if you go to a new area of the dungeon that no one has been in for a while you would have higher level mobs. Could also use this mechanic on named/bosses where the longer they are up the harder they become and the greater reward you get or more plat etc.

Thought this might be an interesting mechanic to change up how things are done rather then justs a random spawn % to be lvl 14 or 15.

• 690 posts
    March 17, 2017 3:24 PM PDT

Dreconic said:

I was sitting here playing EQ and thinking about Mob levels. Most zones in EQ and in VG had mobs that could spawn in a range of levels. I.E. a Phlarg fiend might be anywhere from lvl 12-15. The higher level mobs hit a bit harder and have a bit more HP than the lower level ones and give more XP. But what if rather then automatically justs spawning at lvl 15 (could still have a chance to but a rarer chance) the longer the mob is up the higher level it becomes. So say they get 10 XP per minute they are up. Within 10 minutes they gain 1 level, so in 30 minutes they would gain the max level of 15 (and then stop).

Groups that wanted to grind mobs would get a lot of lower level ones, but if you go to a new area of the dungeon that no one has been in for a while you would have higher level mobs. Could also use this mechanic on named/bosses where the longer they are up the harder they become and the greater reward you get or more plat etc.

Thought this might be an interesting mechanic to change up how things are done rather then justs a random spawn % to be lvl 14 or 15.

Hmm I can't decide if this would push people to explore new things or to stay right where they are. I guess it depends on how experience works based on relative mob level. 

Would the regular mobs get better drops the higher their level is?

I know in EQ you could maybe kill a red at low level. or kill like 6 blues for the same effort  and with much more safety and get way more experience, and probably better drops as well unless the red was a rare spawn.

If It's like that you'd probably be seeing people looking for camps that have already been started, and staying in those camps all night, assuming your mechanic was implemented in Pantheon.

___

The better gear on bosses thing is cool though. You could even have some gear that won't drop unless it reaches a certain level. It would make camping as a way too high level more innefficient.

It would suck if your group spawns something and you just sit there, staring at it, and wait for it to level up for a while though.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at March 17, 2017 3:54 PM PDT
    • 511 posts
    March 17, 2017 3:35 PM PDT

I am not sure how people would use/abuse it lol. I see it as if you really only care about XP per hour you might stay where you are and where you know you can get more kills per hour. If you are looking for loot or a challenge you would crawl around the dungeon looking for mobs that have been up for awhile.

• 2138 posts
    March 17, 2017 4:11 PM PDT

They always seem to be the highest level possible right at the entrance whenever I enter for the first time. Its like toast falling jam side down. Everytime after that? its a cakewalk whenever I enter. Its like they know.

• 511 posts
    March 17, 2017 4:22 PM PDT

BeaverBiscuit said:

The better gear on bosses thing is cool though. You could even have some gear that won't drop unless it reaches a certain level. It would make camping as a way too high level more innefficient.

It would suck if your group spawns something and you just sit there, staring at it, and wait for it to level up for a while though.

I was thinking more of if no one had been in there for a while the boss would be leveled up and you would /ooc "Named XYZ is up and fully leveled anyone want to get together and kill him"

And if the named spawn during a camp clear you would kill it right away rather then wait an hour for it to level up.

• 53 posts
    March 17, 2017 8:15 PM PDT

Dreconic said:

An alternative would have the Mobs gain experience for every PC that they killed. That way, the Mobs would only be gaining XP while there is activity. They are trying to kill the PCs already. They might as well receive credit for it. This might create some powerful Mobs in lower level areas. Which would encourage higher level characters to frequent these areas to assist the lower level PCs. Which would enhance the social interaction between players.

There would need to be something in place to prevent player abuse of this. Such as limiting the number of times that a player can "donate" their XP to the Mobs to once an hour or so.

• 3852 posts
    March 18, 2017 9:41 AM PDT

The caption of this post gave me a chuckle - it was perfectly appropriate but I have a quirky sense of humor.

What came to my mind before even reading the post was an old old picture of a mob jumping in joy on the bodies of a defeated party and screaming "DING" and its buddies yelling out "grats".

I wondered if someone would be suggesting the mechanic of a dungeon where every time a party or raid wiped the mobs, or a boss, would get more difficult - to compensate for the party having more knowledge of the encounters. With a reset after no more than 24 hours. And maybe a higher experience point award (not rich enough to encourage parties to suicide as an exploit). As an extra challenge.

Considerably to my surprise the OP actually WAS suggesting something along these lines but with the extra mob levels coming from length of time before the fight rather than from the results of previous fights.

Good idea.

• 668 posts
    March 18, 2017 9:53 AM PDT

Dreconic said:

BeaverBiscuit said:

I was thinking more of if no one had been in there for a while the boss would be leveled up and you would /ooc "Named XYZ is up and fully leveled anyone want to get together and kill him"

And if the named spawn during a camp clear you would kill it right away rather then wait an hour for it to level up.

Interesting concept... 

Makes more sense to me that the longer you work the zone and there is activity, they higher the potential level for those mobs.  So you work a dungeon and the mobs continually get cleared, coming back tougher and smarter, giving the group a bigger challenge.

There would have to be a smart timer though, as it would suck for the group that came into the area after a strong force was clearing it..   They would immediately roll into the toughest level of mobs and may or may not be able to handle it...  coming in at normal, maybe they could.

I really like dynamic atmospheres though... Coming into a situation with a plan in mind, but that plan gets challenged because the mobs change AI slightly or the mix of mobs change up or wander differently this time around. 

In a nutshell, running the same dungeon every week and you get a different experience every time.  To me, that is a game beautifully designed...  Is it possible though?

• 1584 posts
    March 18, 2017 10:20 AM PDT

Pyye said:

Dreconic said:

BeaverBiscuit said:

Interesting concept... 

Makes more sense to me that the longer you work the zone and there is activity, they higher the potential level for those mobs.  So you work a dungeon and the mobs continually get cleared, coming back tougher and smarter, giving the group a bigger challenge.

There would have to be a smart timer though, as it would suck for the group that came into the area after a strong force was clearing it..   They would immediately roll into the toughest level of mobs and may or may not be able to handle it...  coming in at normal, maybe they could.

I really like dynamic atmospheres though... Coming into a situation with a plan in mind, but that plan gets challenged because the mobs change AI slightly or the mix of mobs change up or wander differently this time around. 

In a nutshell, running the same dungeon every week and you get a different experience every time.  To me, that is a game beautifully designed...  Is it possible though?

I like this, to make it also a bit more dynamic also instead of just the mobs getting higher level and smarter AI and such how about theirs like 14 mobs that spawn in this certain location but has 20 spawn location and 10 are static spawns and the other 10 are roamers or something liek this that way not only do we have to worry about the lvl and ai of the mobs but where they are spawning as well. and also what they become (tank, healer, dps classes)

• 511 posts
    March 20, 2017 3:13 PM PDT

Pyye said:

Exactly, I spent so many hours in LGuk, so much that while it was still fun it became very predictable. I am not sure if a mechanic like this is possible but it is nice to think about this and other ways to keep old dungeons new and interesting.

• 2752 posts
    March 20, 2017 4:29 PM PDT

Dreconic said:

Can't say I am a huge fan of the idea. I think it's great that they already spawn within a level range, if you had a leveling mechanic where they auto level it would make breaking in camps either far too difficult for certain areas or impossible for groups that otherwise might be able to hold a given camp. Any single add might demolish the group when they are all maximum power. 

As for it applying to rares/loot, it would be extra shitty. You already are waiting a long time for the rare to pop but now it would become commonplace for groups to wait after it pops for 30 min+ until it is maxed out for best chances of whatever the loot is.