Forums » Secret Class

Rune Priest

• 76 posts
    March 14, 2017 12:01 PM PDT

Trained in the forgotten arts of Rune Magic, a rune priest has mastered complete devotion to their deity(s) in written form. Imbuing anything from a pebble to a living soul, the power of written words expressed in ultimate magic. A Rune priest can create links between souls to exchange life force or syphon the strength. In addition, the priest can either create a devastating arcane trap or a timed blessing for latter, the Rune Priest is an asset in any group. Even though a Rune Priest has taken a Vow of Peace before the alter of their deity(s) and may never take a direct hostile action, they indirectly control the outcome of great wars by enhancing an ally or cursing a foe. Rune priest have a special tradeskill: Advanced Scroll Crafting, which allows them to capture any spell in written form to use later. It has been rumored that a high-level priest can even blend different effects from multiple spells into one scroll, thus crafting a new spell into the Eternal Arcane Library.

(Maybe the abilities would be something like this?)

Arcane Traps (may only have 1 trap active at a time):

Verba Ignis (Fire Words): The Rune Priest imbues a mundane object and places it on the ground. Any enemy that comes too close activates the trap and becomes highly susceptible to fire damage (Glacies = ice, Venenum = venom, sanguinem = physical)

Tarditatem (Slowing): The Rune Priest quickly writes a verse in the ground to make all enemies who walk across have slower reaction times

Somnus (Sleep): The Rune Priest takes great care in preparing an intricate paragraph on a parchment, which may be consumed to consecrate a marked location for a short time. During this time, if an enemy enters the consecrated area, they set of a trap that puts them to sleep.

Oblivio (Forget): The Rune priest carves a symbol into a living tree to harness the necessary energy to cause the ultimate trap of forgetfulness. When an enemy triggers this trap, the forgot all hostile actions they were about to take and return to the last memory before engaging the priest or their group.

Arcane Blessings (limit to 1 active blessing per item slot):

Pacem (Peace): The Rune Priest imbues the head piece of an ally with the blessing of peace. For one hour, the wearer of that head item, generates less hatred in their actions. This blessing may erupt in ultimate peace, consuming the run and allowing the recipient to experience unlimited hatred reduction no matter what they do.

Spera (Hope): The Rune Priest imbues the boots of an ally with the blessing of hope. For one hour, the wearer of those boots, have a greater chance to success at tasks they are attempting (be it combat or tradeskills or any other) This blessing may erupt in ultimate hope, consuming the run and allowing the recipient to experience unlimited success on their next action.

Gaudium (Joy): The Rune Priest imbues the chest item of an ally with the blessing of joy. For one hour, the wearer of that chest item experiences increased resources regeneration. This blessing may erupt in ultimate Joy, consuming the run and allowing the recipient’s mana (resource) bar to be restored a great amount.

Potestatem (Power): The Rune priest imbues the weapon of an ally with the blessing of power. For one hour, the bearer of that weapon deals more base damage with their hostile actions. This blessing may erupt in ultimate Power, consuming the run and allowing the recipient’s next attack to execute a devastating blow.

Divine Connections (connects two souls, taking resources for one and giving to the other)”

Divinum Salutem (Health) Take health from an enemy and give to an ally.

Supernum (Strength) Reduce the strength from an enemy and give to an ally.

Damni (Damage) When an ally takes damage, a portion of that goes to another ally

Incursio (Aggression) An aggressive action from one ally is attributed to another.

Channeling Energy (the rune priest, focus their arcane knowledge to aid their target)

Medical Auxilium (Aid): While the priest is channeling arcane knowledge to a target, any action that heals damage is increased in potency.

Belli (Tactics): While the priest is channeling arcane knowledge to a target, any action that would deal physical damage is increased in potency.

Critical Prospere (Crit Success): while the priest is channeling arcane knowledge to a target, any action that could crit has a great chance to perform a crit.

Volo (Speed): while the priest is channeling arcane knowledge to a target, any melee action or spell casting action happens faster than normal.

Cursed Runes (the rune priest may touch an enemy to bestow a curse at a great cost)

Infirmitas (Weakness): The rune priest performs a dangerously aggressive action that curses its target to deal less damage for a brief moment

Expositus (Exposed): The rune priest curses the target to reduce its armor score to be equal to the priest’s.

Stultitia (Stupidity): The cursed target deals a portion of damage back to itself. Each time this action happens, the priest captures the attention of the enemy.

Protrahas (Length):  Each time a DoT is placed on the cursed, the priest takes damage, but the DoT escalates in damage the longer it stays on the cursed target.

• 4415 posts
    March 14, 2017 12:55 PM PDT

That sounds really fun. If you couldn't tell based on my profile pic, I like runes haha. I would totally play a Dwarf Rune Priest. They seem to have a nice diverse kit of tools. A few thoughts:

1. Does the Vow of Peace mean they can't even auto-attack? That seems like an unnecessarily huge disadvantage. By design, every class should be able to auto-attack so that you're never completely hopeless when you're out of mana. Even Enchanters can auto attack so they can always do something. Something is way better than nothing.

2. I think it would be way more dynamic and fun if Expositus did not necessarily "reduce" the target's armor to be equal with the Priest. It should just always make it equal to the Priest. So it could be a buff when used on your low level friend, or a debuff when used on a mob with more armor than you. This opens up a bunch more opportunities for combos when combined with armor buffs (either from yourself or an ally). Combos are fun :) It also requires more player knowledge to know whether your target has more or less armor than you. I love abilities with multiple uses, depending on the situation.

3. How are the Divine Connections targeted? It is applied to one and then the recipients of the effects are chosen at random?

4. While channeling energy, can the priest do anything else? Or are they prevented from moving, attacking, or using other abilities? How long are these abilities channeled for? Can you cancel them early? Is mana consumed gradually over the duration?

Who knows if something like this will be in Pantheon. We know there isn't a "Secret Class" anymore, but we can hope for an expansion in the future. Either way, it's fun to think about! :)

• 76 posts
    March 14, 2017 1:25 PM PDT
    Ya, this was purely a fun thing to toss around.
    • 66 posts
    March 14, 2017 2:57 PM PDT

I like that your slows, mez, and faint are traps. It allows for the opening of different group dynamics such as a puller stragetically making his way through your traps to properly cc a target, or having an "oh-****-train-path." Which would be cool.

I think it would be more interesting if runes for healing would drain his or other party members' health instead of an enemy. Life syphoning from an enemy is getting into Necro territory, but it would be a cool off-heal mechanism while in a group.

• 76 posts
    March 15, 2017 6:15 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

1. Does the Vow of Peace mean they can't even auto-attack? That seems like an unnecessarily huge disadvantage. By design, every class should be able to auto-attack so that you're never completely hopeless when you're out of mana. Even Enchanters can auto attack so they can always do something. Something is way better than nothing.

Once again, this was a purely fun project for me on a "snow-day" (work was pretty slow). I get fascinated by characters who can hold great power, but for some psychological reason, choose to temper that power or act a certain way (in DnD, I like to make a fighter, and I put all my focus into charisma: this fighter is a compasionate soul who hates hurting people, and is loved and endured by all. Or a wizard with extemely high Int, but negatives in wisdom - infinite knowledge, but doesnt know when to use it). So, yes, i had originally intended for this class to never be able to make a hostile action (dont know how that could work in an MMO, but fascinates me to no end).

Bazgrim said:

2. I think it would be way more dynamic and fun if Expositus did not necessarily "reduce" the target's armor to be equal with the Priest. It should just always make it equal to the Priest. So it could be a buff when used on your low level friend, or a debuff when used on a mob with more armor than you. This opens up a bunch more opportunities for combos when combined with armor buffs (either from yourself or an ally). Combos are fun :) It also requires more player knowledge to know whether your target has more or less armor than you. I love abilities with multiple uses, depending on the situation.

Very cool! love this idea

Bazgrim said:

3. How are the Divine Connections targeted? It is applied to one and then the recipients of the effects are chosen at random?

This could be done in a few ways, but in my mind i had invisiond something like: There would be a spell called "Soul Link." When you cast a connection spell on the soul to BE siphoned, you get a temp buff that says, "The next target you target with Soul Link, becomes linked to this Soul."

Bazgrim said:

4. While channeling energy, can the priest do anything else? Or are they prevented from moving, attacking, or using other abilities? How long are these abilities channeled for? Can you cancel them early? Is mana consumed gradually over the duration?

While, channeling, it would require the Rune Priest's full attention. Any action, would break that concentration. In addition, there would be an upfront mana cost to start the channel, and a mana cost to maintain the focus. The length of a channel would depend on the difficulty of the spell. 

• 3364 posts
    March 19, 2017 11:57 PM PDT

Well thought out idea Niloiv, I am hoping the new forums will have a reputation system because a lot of the stuff you come up with is golden.  Keep up the great work!