Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Audio question.

• 11 posts
    February 28, 2017 1:29 PM PST

Not exacty sure where to post this. I'm wondering if the developers are going to program the game to where we might benefit from having a high dollar sound card? I'd like to know if I could buy a new sound card with onboard ram,etc to squeeze every bit of sound quality out of the game. I miss running through Kithicor woods with 5.1 sound going. Was nice with all the lights off lol.

This post was edited by Darkgnite at February 28, 2017 1:38 PM PST
    • 2752 posts
    February 28, 2017 2:09 PM PST

I'm not sure anything is really designed with a dedicated sound card in mind. I imagine there is not one human on the entire planet who can tell the difference beween a pc with and without a dedicated soundcard as soundcards are relics from old times when cpus and mainboards were challanged by producing audio. Today the chips are so strong that the audio procession part is very, very little stress.

• 563 posts
    February 28, 2017 2:14 PM PST

Darkgnite said:

I miss running through Kithicor woods with 5.1 sound going. Was nice with all the lights off lol.

You dont need a sound card to run amazing quality 5.1 or 7.1 audio anymore :)

• 11 posts
    February 28, 2017 7:07 PM PST

I guess I meant to say from a performance perspective. There were a few games years ago that actually got about a 2fps boost from a dedicated sound card. I just want every chance to run game at max settings.

This post was edited by Darkgnite at February 28, 2017 7:15 PM PST
    • 191 posts
    February 28, 2017 7:15 PM PST

haha, I love the demographic this game attracts!  I mean that totally sincerely and in the best possible humor.

• 3852 posts
    March 1, 2017 8:26 AM PST

I have always been a strong believer in getting a quality sound card to hear game music and audio with. But my next computer will not have one - I think sound cards other than certain niche benefits have been superseded and onboard sound is just as good for "normal" purposes and creates fewer resource conflicts.

• 422 posts
    March 1, 2017 9:34 AM PST

Darkgnite said:

I guess I meant to say from a performance perspective. There were a few games years ago that actually got about a 2fps boost from a dedicated sound card. I just want every chance to run game at max settings.

This just isn't an issue any more. Sound processing, unless you are doing digital mastering work as a sound engineer or producer, just isn't that hard on the machine any more. Dedicated sound cards over on board is more of a waste for general gaming.

dorotea said:

I have always been a strong believer in getting a quality sound card to hear game music and audio with. But my next computer will not have one - I think sound cards other than certain niche benefits have been superseded and onboard sound is just as good for "normal" purposes and creates fewer resource conflicts.

Exactly, the on board is as good as anything you'd see in a dedicated card. Unless, again, you are getting into actual sound production.

• 363 posts
    March 3, 2017 1:53 PM PST

I'm an audio engineer, it's my day job. I actually can tell a difference in audio fidelity when using high quality digital to analog converters, and but my ear is well trained. I love gaming with 5.1 surround!