Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Loadable spell sets

• 24 posts
    February 27, 2017 1:25 PM PST

EQ1 had loadable spell sets.

You could set up a set of spells and save them to a name, say GroupBufs or GroupFighting.

Then you could load the set by name, instead of loading each spell separately.

Does or will Pantheon have such a setup or is it even needed?

• 52 posts
    February 27, 2017 2:17 PM PST
    That wasn't added until PoP I think but I would be surprised if this is added in. They want us to have to strategize our memmed spells and not have a 1 click set swap. However I did like when it was added... Especially for raid buffing
    • 441 posts
    February 27, 2017 7:08 PM PST
    Ya I would love this feature.
    • 191 posts
    February 27, 2017 7:12 PM PST

Yeah, this was a good quality of life feature.

• 780 posts
    February 27, 2017 7:12 PM PST

I could see this being in the game.  It's really more of a modern UI feature.  You still had to have the time to mem all of the spells, and you still had to create the sets in the first place before you saved them.

• 2752 posts
    February 27, 2017 7:30 PM PST

Very much liked this QoL feature. 

• 724 posts
    February 28, 2017 12:10 AM PST

I like this feature very much. You can also make partial sets which only change a few of your spell slots and leave the others untouched. Its really flexible and easy to use.

The only bad thing with this is forgetting to change your spell set back to your combat one after buffing the group ;)

• 2886 posts
    February 28, 2017 5:47 AM PST

Quality of life is right - it took the same amount of time to memorize the spells, but it just saved you from wasting time digging through your spell book. A nice convenient feature without detracting from the strategy/skill at all. I would definitely utilize it.

• 121 posts
    February 28, 2017 8:00 AM PST
    I hadn't even thought about this. I remember them putting in this feature and I loved it. You still have to plan your sets so it doesn't take away from that and often after I loaded a set, I would alter one or 2 spells depending on the encounter. As stated above, it just saves time from having to re-find the spells you want
    • 231 posts
    February 28, 2017 1:25 PM PST

I like this option. As someone who plans on playing a shaman it will be nice to have a dps/support and heal/support set that I can just hit go and the spells memorize. I can also see this being really nice for casters to swap between sets they make of different elements since climates and zones will affect abilities. There's also the lazy/easy factor of course. Some might claim that it "takes away from immersion" because you don't have to do them one at a time or by hand or whatever. It's not exactly immersive to drag a picture to a bar and then wait a couple seconds either.

• 184 posts
    February 28, 2017 6:57 PM PST

rkwiles said:

EQ1 had loadable spell sets.

You could set up a set of spells and save them to a name, say GroupBufs or GroupFighting.

Then you could load the set by name, instead of loading each spell separately.

Does or will Pantheon have such a setup or is it even needed?

You read my mind.. I was actually thinking that today and would expect this feature in Pantheon... It makes things so much easier when you can have spell sets setup for different occasions, I also like how EQ 1 did it with grouping spells together depending on their classification (See Photo...) 

• 27 posts
    May 5, 2018 8:02 AM PDT

You still have to stop fighting to do this, either way. You still get eh seated position, you still get he lovely view of your tome :D

The only gain, for me, is not having to hunt through pages (and pages and pages and pages...) of skills to find the ones you need. Multiply by however many spells/abilities you need to swap out.

Tomes of skills are great way to store information, but so far they are a lousy way of organizing information.

Unless yu're going to ive us a tool that fixes that problem... an Index where we can set up Heals, Rezzes, Buffs etc and assign or have autoassigned spells/skills as learned...

EQI gave us this from rightclicking the spell gem and you could choose Heal> Duration HEal > The problem with this system is the classification was imposed, and didn't always make sense (to me). I still learned where they were hidden

• 1281 posts
    May 7, 2018 6:38 AM PDT

I liked having the 'spell sets'.

On caveat with Pantheon is that the spell bar and hotkey bar are going to be shared.

I'm still holding out hope that they separate the spell/hotkey bar and use a dedicated 'ability bar' for the LAS spells/abilities, then leave a hotkey bar that we can customize to our hearts content of custom hotkeys and active abilities.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at May 7, 2018 6:41 AM PDT
    • 98 posts
    May 7, 2018 5:33 PM PDT

bigdogchris said:

I'm still holding out hope that they separate the spell/hotkey bar and use a dedicated 'ability bar' for the LAS spells/abilities...

I'm not sure I understand.  Do you mean you don't want it to be possible to put a spell and a macro on the same hotbar side-by-side?

I was kind of hoping they'd have an "Active Spells" bar, maybe as part of your spellbook, that you could drag spells on to make them "active".  I'd love to be able to build macros that included "/cast Fireball", which would only actualy cast a Fireball if Fireball was on my Active Spells bar.

• 1281 posts
    May 8, 2018 1:13 PM PDT

Nihimon said:

bigdogchris said:

I'm still holding out hope that they separate the spell/hotkey bar and use a dedicated 'ability bar' for the LAS spells/abilities...

I'm not sure I understand.  Do you mean you don't want it to be possible to put a spell and a macro on the same hotbar side-by-side?

I was kind of hoping they'd have an "Active Spells" bar, maybe as part of your spellbook, that you could drag spells on to make them "active".  I'd love to be able to build macros that included "/cast Fireball", which would only actualy cast a Fireball if Fireball was on my Active Spells bar.

To clarify, I'm suggesting an active spell/ability bar like EQ where you choose what your 8 or so active spells or abilities are. Sure, you could still drop an active spell/abilities onto your hotbar if you want, basically like a shortcut. I just want to be able to create more hotbars for custom macro keys or buttons, than the 12 total buttons or so you have now.

Realistically, you're going to need to memorize at least 6-8 spells/abilities. That leaves only a couple spots for custom hotkeys. I don't think that's enough.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at May 8, 2018 1:18 PM PDT
    • 98 posts
    May 8, 2018 1:18 PM PDT

@bigdogchris, thanks for clarifying.  I think I understand now, and I completely agree.

• 1714 posts
    May 8, 2018 9:26 PM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Nihimon said:

bigdogchris said:

To clarify, I'm suggesting an active spell/ability bar like EQ where you choose what your 8 or so active spells or abilities are. Sure, you could still drop an active spell/abilities onto your hotbar if you want, basically like a shortcut. I just want to be able to create more hotbars for custom macro keys or buttons, than the 12 total buttons or so you have now.

Realistically, you're going to need to memorize at least 6-8 spells/abilities. That leaves only a couple spots for custom hotkeys. I don't think that's enough.

Dead certain there will be tons of spots for hotkeys for macros and other abilities. 

• 363 posts
    July 16, 2018 4:29 PM PDT

Thank you for bringing up this topic as I was about to start one.

This would be tremedously helpful in a game like this. Maybe limit how many spell sets, but having 2-4 would be awesome. That way you could plan for areas as you learn them. Need more offense, load set 1, more heals, load set 2 and so on.

• 1714 posts
    July 16, 2018 4:32 PM PDT

I dunno if this idea is the right solution, but the EQ spellbook could use some improvement. 

• 209 posts
    July 16, 2018 5:21 PM PDT

I've wondered about this for some time, and I definitely hope to see this in the game. I don't feel like having pre-loaded spell sets would take away from strategy, as you would still have to plan them out ahead of time. I think it would be great, for instance, for a tank to be able to have a preset for tanking, offtanking, soloing, etc. Any necessary changes for specific encounters could still be made manually.

Of course, presets should definitely only be loadable out of combat.

This post was edited by Gyldervane at July 16, 2018 5:22 PM PDT
    • 1714 posts
    July 16, 2018 5:24 PM PDT

Gyldervane said:

I've wondered about this for some time, and I definitely hope to see this in the game. I don't feel like having pre-loaded spell sets would take away from strategy, as you would still have to plan them out ahead of time. I think it would be great, for instance, for a tank to be able to have a preset for tanking, offtanking, soloing, etc. Any necessary changes for specific encounters could still be made manually.

I'd suggest that melee classes have fewer presets, if any, than casters. 

• 769 posts
    July 16, 2018 5:39 PM PDT

This might have been answered in previous posts, but how does the game determine whether you're "out of combat"? 

What I mean is, could you just turn autoattack off and that be enough to load a new set? Do you have to be outside a certain range of an engaged mob to be considered out of combat? Does a certain time need to pass between your last attack and when you can load a new set/memorize new spells? In EQ, for example, you could root a mob, back up, sit down and memorize a new spell. I'm assuming this wouldn't be the case here. Is there a time-bar that pops up when you're loading a new set? 

Basically, if the point is to make sure you're prepared for each scenario, how is it done in such a way that it can't be exploited?

• 1120 posts
    July 16, 2018 6:31 PM PDT

Tralyan said:

This might have been answered in previous posts, but how does the game determine whether you're "out of combat"? 

What I mean is, could you just turn autoattack off and that be enough to load a new set? Do you have to be outside a certain range of an engaged mob to be considered out of combat? Does a certain time need to pass between your last attack and when you can load a new set/memorize new spells? In EQ, for example, you could root a mob, back up, sit down and memorize a new spell. I'm assuming this wouldn't be the case here. Is there a time-bar that pops up when you're loading a new set? 

Basically, if the point is to make sure you're prepared for each scenario, how is it done in such a way that it can't be exploited?

In other games.  You either kill the mob, or zone.

No real way to game this.

• 363 posts
    July 16, 2018 6:45 PM PDT

Gyldervane said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Gyldervane said:

and again spot on

• 75 posts
    July 16, 2018 8:21 PM PDT

Bronsun said:

Gyldervane said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Gyldervane said:

and again spot on

Also agree with these.