Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Secret Status Items?

• 170 posts
    February 23, 2017 7:35 AM PST

Okay Community and Developers I have an idea. Will there be any easter egg, secret items, quests that are off the wall, long but tied to lore, mythology and require ciphers, codes, and knowing the different languages of the different races in game? Here is what I mean:

I am playing Battlefield 1 while patiently waiting for Pantheon. So I watched a video I will link that shows how to obtain a secret dog tag. It is quite long, requires different maps and areas, has markings hidden in plain site, requires a different cipher on each step and so on.

I was thinking, all of us that played Everquest remember standing in East Commonland Tunnel showing off our gear and all inspecting each other. All of the ewws and ahhs and wondering what raid item, epic item, GM event item others got.

The first time you saw a Shaman with his Epic Spear, or an Ogre in full Rubicite, or a Beastlord with Epic Claws, or a Cleric with his/her Clicky Mace Epic, a Bard with Quillman's shoulder pads, a Shadow Knight with Wyrmslayer, etc, etc. You get my point.  

So if interested please watch the video I post and imagine if they had something like this added (even post release) to Pantheon? Imagine cruising to a trade hub to sell some of your loot and you see a Skar Monk in something you've never seen. Let the question assault begin, OMG where did you get that? How did you get that? Can anyone wear one? Can you link it? How long did it take to find it? What dropped it? ????????

I just think if (watch the video and you'll understand what I mean and what it would take) we had and item or weapon that took the same efforts it would show your status as an avid adventurer and detective.

The video is 16 minutes but very interesting and I could see how it would work with mythology and lore and languages and sounds and things to be very cool.

https://youtu.be/jFsiH77rNig

• 422 posts
    February 23, 2017 7:45 AM PST

you mean epic quests and hidden quests ala the perception system. Its all planned to be in the game already.

• 170 posts
    February 23, 2017 8:12 AM PST

Yes but I mean something that requires off the wall stuff. Most epic quests are class specific, talk to a person, kill a mob until X drops, go to a special forge and mate that item with a list of expensive ingredients, etc, etc, etc. I mean something anyone could achieve if they set out on a long path of exploration and discovery, involving multiple zones, languages, factions and other stuff but not class or race specific and not typical in-game things. In the video it took cipher decryption sites to solve the puzzles, I was suggesting a non-game-play item anyone could achieve to show off their skill that could be done at any level with extreme effort that requires ciphering different languages of the different races to unlock the next clue, to travel to a new land build faction know the languages have the factions, decipher the clues, etc.

Sorry if I didn't explain it well but it's a show off I'm a gaming god type item. I know there will be perception quests and rewards. I know there will be Epic quests presumably for epic weapons based on forum posts. And I will go crazy trying to complete them but I was talking a fun off the wall, show off cosmetic item that anyone could achieve if they did all the steps in order figured out all the clues. Just for fun. 

A lot of people play games and know nothing of the lore the developers designed they just log in, quest, kill repeat until max level. This, if done could also teach them the lore in a fun way if they already know the lore then they are a step ahead but it would still be puzzles and riddles and such that it would be a scavenger hunt style quest. 

Like trying to unlock doors in Arena (the game not the zone in EQ) that required figuring out riddles. 

I believe the game will be fun this would just add sprinkles to my game.

This post was edited by Abacda at February 23, 2017 8:16 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    February 23, 2017 2:34 PM PST

We couldn't tell you otherwise it wouldn't be a secret! :)

• 120 posts
    February 23, 2017 3:37 PM PST

I think something interesting, yet frustrating, was items in FFXI that had "hidden effects". The problem with them is they really lose their appeal once discovered since google will just give you all the answers. The other problem was consistancy. You could go many years without another item implemented with a hidden effect. The other thing thing they had was what they called latent effects. Items that would say what the latent would do, but you had to discover the conditions yourself.

Let me get back to the consistancy part though. People joked all the time about the random nature of things in FFXI, for example, crafting while facing certain directions upsidedown playing on a laptop in your closet with only 1 sock on. The problem is, this type of mind set eventually became exactly that, only a joke, because FFXI would do away with things like hidden effects all together and if something were to have some sort of effect, it would just be thrown under latents, which I'm pretty sure they don't even make that type of gear either anymore. My problem with the consistancy is do we just throw ourselves at the mercy of randomness on every piece of gear, every piece of weapon that drops? Should we always except some type of hidden secret? Will we go through eras where players throw themselves endlessly at something to discover something that isn't their because VR just stopped doing this?

• 170 posts
    February 23, 2017 5:33 PM PST

Kilsin said:

10-4 Kilsin! I shall now talk to every NPC, search every dungeon, zone, tree, underwater rock until I find myself a secret!

see? things to entertain me when I can't find a group, don't have time for a group or am just exploring while gathering to craft.

• 52 posts
    February 23, 2017 9:59 PM PST

I get what the OP is saying. Perhaps there will be some hidden quests for unique clicky items, or a special weight reduction bag, etc. These types of things are great for players who like to take a break from grouping or even casual players and those who like to solo. Not to mention you can never have enough utility.

• 9115 posts
    February 24, 2017 1:10 AM PST

Abacda said:

Kilsin said:

10-4 Kilsin! I shall now talk to every NPC, search every dungeon, zone, tree, underwater rock until I find myself a secret!

see? things to entertain me when I can't find a group, don't have time for a group or am just exploring while gathering to craft.

Haha, there will be a few little easter eggs and secrets around the world to find for those who search hard and have good awareness :) 

• 556 posts
    February 24, 2017 8:12 AM PST

Abacda said:

Kilsin said:

Never know when those underwater rocks will lead you into the hole :D

• 170 posts
    February 24, 2017 8:55 AM PST

Enitzu said:

Abacda said:

Kilsin said:

Never know when those underwater rocks will lead you into the hole :D

HaHa Yep!

• 318 posts
    February 24, 2017 12:07 PM PST

Yikes, that Battlefield 1 video was painful just to watch. Thank goodness Samuel Morse wasn't alive in the world of Terminus.... I hope.