Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

• 2752 posts
    February 23, 2017 9:46 AM PST

Rachael said:

I cant help but imagine the customer interactions I might have with people. Out of all the "service" industries I'd have the least problems "upselling" wannabe gamer/enthusiasts... plus how many gamer guys would admit defeat to a gamer girl lol, I could up sell like crazy! :P

If I knew what my local computer industry would be like, I would own my own store lol! So many fool's pay SOOOO much to have a computer  "built" for them and to have "service" done" on them" XD!

Hahahah! Too true! So many people buy into the things *clearly* marketed toward "gamers." Looking at you, gaudy DXRacer chairs! I have a co-worker who recently bought a PC from the store for his son despite me telling him over and over that I'd build him a better one for whatever price point he was shooting for. His poor son now owns an HP computer. ( ._.)

I'm conflicted as I tend to lack the patience to wait. I know I want to build a new rig sooner than later and have been waiting for Ryzen/Vega specs to come out as I am not a fan of Intel or Nvidia (shady business practices). Also waiting on Nixeus to release their new monitor any time now so I can get that sweet sweet 27" IPS with 144hz and a world first 30-144hz freesync range. At least even if I pull the trigger in the next few months there is no way I won't be able to run Pantheon on ultra settings...at least I can't imagine I wouldn't be able to! 

I really want AMD to throw a spanner in the gears of Intel and Nvidia, I feel like those two have been ripping people off for a while now due to lack of real competition. 

• 595 posts
    February 23, 2017 9:57 AM PST

Iksar said:

Rachael said:

I cant help but imagine the customer interactions I might have with people. Out of all the "service" industries I'd have the least problems "upselling" wannabe gamer/enthusiasts... plus how many gamer guys would admit defeat to a gamer girl lol, I could up sell like crazy! :P

If I knew what my local computer industry would be like, I would own my own store lol! So many fool's pay SOOOO much to have a computer  "built" for them and to have "service" done" on them" XD!

Hahahah! Too true! So many people buy into the things *clearly* marketed toward "gamers." Looking at you, gaudy DXRacer chairs! I have a co-worker who recently bought a PC from the store for his son despite me telling him over and over that I'd build him a better one for whatever price point he was shooting for. His poor son now owns an HP computer. ( ._.)

I'm conflicted as I tend to lack the patience to wait. I know I want to build a new rig sooner than later and have been waiting for Ryzen/Vega specs to come out as I am not a fan of Intel or Nvidia (shady business practices). Also waiting on Nixeus to release their new monitor any time now so I can get that sweet sweet 27" IPS with 144hz and a world first 30-144hz freesync range. At least even if I pull the trigger in the next few months there is no way I won't be able to run Pantheon on ultra settings...at least I can't imagine I wouldn't be able to! 

I really want AMD to throw a spanner in the gears of Intel and Nvidia, I feel like those two have been ripping people off for a while now due to lack of real competition. 

Oh that poor, poor boy :,(

I agree with you, it's hard to imagine a scenario where this gen (and next) CPUs with the appropriate GPU won't just crush out Pantheon.  But we'll see.  The problem with Intel is they have a good product and they know it.  As you've stated, the price largely comes from the fact that there's been relatively low competition.  But if Ryzen/Vega can capture some of the market share then Intel may be forced to either a) push the tech even further, and/or b) concede to some degree and lower their prices.  Or at least in theory heh.

• 2752 posts
    February 23, 2017 10:57 AM PST

Nikademis said:

I agree with you, it's hard to imagine a scenario where this gen (and next) CPUs with the appropriate GPU won't just crush out Pantheon.  But we'll see.  The problem with Intel is they have a good product and they know it.  As you've stated, the price largely comes from the fact that there's been relatively low competition.  But if Ryzen/Vega can capture some of the market share then Intel may be forced to either a) push the tech even further, and/or b) concede to some degree and lower their prices.  Or at least in theory heh.

I just can't stand giving Intel/Nvidia money after what they did, as I am sure them having a better product is the outcome of their illegal/anti-competitive practices in the early 2000s. 

Intel/Nvidia sabotage.

• 563 posts
    February 23, 2017 2:55 PM PST

Kilsin said:

First and last warning Rachael, next time --> Banhammer! lol :D

I really wish I could have held off with my new build until this was released but unfortunately time was an issue and I had to bite the bullet and go with my Intel setup, Ryzen looks promising, though, I can;t wait to see the benchmarks!

Haha my bad Kilsin, got a bit tipsy celebrating my Dad's birthday and got carried away off topic :P Please don't break my knee's with the Banhammer! xD

• 595 posts
    February 23, 2017 2:59 PM PST

Rachael said:

Kilsin said:

First and last warning Rachael, next time --> Banhammer! lol :D

I really wish I could have held off with my new build until this was released but unfortunately time was an issue and I had to bite the bullet and go with my Intel setup, Ryzen looks promising, though, I can;t wait to see the benchmarks!

Haha my bad Kilsin, got a bit tipsy celebrating my Dad's birthday and got carried away off topic :P Please don't break my knee's with the Banhammer! xD

Haha!  I wondered how this conversation about Ryzen turned into a thesis on LinusTechTips in the wee hours of the morning.  This is starting to make some sense now.  It was late for me on the west coast, I can't imagine how tired you were Rachael bahaha!

• 595 posts
    February 23, 2017 3:01 PM PST

Iksar said:

Nikademis said:

I just can't stand giving Intel/Nvidia money after what they did, as I am sure them having a better product is the outcome of their illegal/anti-competitive practices in the early 2000s. 

Intel/Nvidia sabotage.

Hard to argue with that.  No better way to tell a company how you feel than with your wallet.

• 208 posts
    February 23, 2017 5:04 PM PST

I just hope this does indeed disrupt the market and force Intel to drop their prices. And I hope AMD keeps up the momentum the hype has given them. I'm looking to upgrade in a few months and may have a lot of decisions to make. I am looking forward to seeing their Vega GPUs to see what they bring to the table. Im going all out on my next PC, liquid cooling and all. It will be total overkill for Pantheon. lol

• 595 posts
    February 23, 2017 6:19 PM PST

Bluefyre said:

Im going all out on my next PC, liquid cooling and all. It will be total overkill for Pantheon. lol

Same.

• 563 posts
    February 26, 2017 3:28 PM PST

Heres an unboxing of the 1800x Ryzen reviewer's kit, not a benchmark yet but its still neat to see. So jealous of reviewers like him lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaTvSI0K_vA&ab_channel=Paul%27sHardware

• 208 posts
    February 26, 2017 5:29 PM PST

Rachael said:

Heres an unboxing of the 1800x Ryzen reviewer's kit, not a benchmark yet but its still neat to see. So jealous of reviewers like him lol.

Time to start your own hardware Youtube channel and start racking up those sweet freebies companys give out to reviewers. :p

This post was edited by Bluefyre at February 26, 2017 5:33 PM PST
    • 595 posts
    February 28, 2017 5:03 PM PST

Rachael said:

Thanks Rachael <3

• 595 posts
    March 2, 2017 9:05 AM PST

They're here.....

Of course the 1800x is sold out already >.<  No worries, I'm still a few months away.

• 2752 posts
    March 2, 2017 9:28 AM PST

Nikademis said:

They're here.....

Of course the 1800x is sold out already >.<  No worries, I'm still a few months away.

I want a beautiful glass case like that one 0_0

• 595 posts
    March 2, 2017 9:50 AM PST

Iksar said:

Nikademis said:

They're here.....

Right?  That's very likely the route I'll be going on my build, namely to showcase the water cooling and RGB.  I haven't identified one for sure yet, but I'm kicking around a few options.  As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my current build is in a NZXT Phantom and for a pure air cooled setup I love it.  But with the addition of all the 200mm fans (3 in total, plus 7 120/140mm) you can't see anything inside...

Coincidentally, I built my wife's in the same case but Red/Black.  Mine's the storm trooper and hers is the "Imperial Guard".  Gawd, we're nerdy...

EDIT: LinusTechTips just posted their Ryzen benchmarking video .  Pretty interesting.

This post was edited by Nikademis at March 2, 2017 10:22 AM PST
    • 2752 posts
    March 2, 2017 11:45 AM PST

Nikademis said:

mperial Guard".  Gawd, we're nerdy...

EDIT: LinusTechTips just posted their Ryzen benchmarking video .  Pretty interesting.

Read a lot of reviews today, outlook is not so good for gaming. Maybe it just needs some time and bios updates etc? I'll be waiting to see how it performs a few months down the road, and with Vega. 

• 595 posts
    March 2, 2017 12:02 PM PST

Iksar said:

Nikademis said:

mperial Guard".  Gawd, we're nerdy...

Read a lot of reviews today, outlook is not so good for gaming. Maybe it just needs some time and bios updates etc? I'll be waiting to see how it performs a few months down the road, and with Vega. 

Yea I think the biggest thing I'm seeing is the issue with higher memory frequencies.  I don't think anyone is surprised at the single thread results compared with Intel, well at least I'm not.  I was optimistic, but I'm not surprised.  I have a lot of things to consider, not the least of which is work and the fact that I just don't need the raw clock speeds of something like the 7700k for titles I will play, and certainly not for Pantheon.

As ever, I don't think it's nearly as cut and dry as voices from both sides are already claiming.  But I agree, we will have to see what happens in the next few months.

This post was edited by Nikademis at March 2, 2017 12:28 PM PST
    • 563 posts
    March 2, 2017 12:37 PM PST

Nikademis said:

Just saw the review myself, I hope with better optimizations it preforms a bit better, still great for the price :D

Heres another benchmark from Paul's Hardware :) Benchmarks start at 4:07 and gaming benchmarks at 7:07

This post was edited by Rachael at March 2, 2017 12:38 PM PST
    • 595 posts
    March 2, 2017 12:43 PM PST

Rachael said:

Nikademis said:

Just saw the review myself, I hope with better optimizations it preforms a bit better, still great for the price :D

Heres another benchmark from Paul's Hardware :) Benchmarks start at 4:07 and gaming benchmarks at 7:07

Thanks Rachael ;)

• 595 posts
    March 3, 2017 9:11 AM PST

Rachael said:

Nikademis said:

Holy $%@#!  Did you watch the very end of that LinusTechTips review!??  RIP GTX 1080 (at the very least)...

EDIT: My mistake, it was a TitanX.

This post was edited by Nikademis at March 3, 2017 3:27 PM PST
    • 2752 posts
    March 3, 2017 10:59 AM PST

Any hint as to when they will announce Vega? I hope it really pulls through so I can get my freesync on. :d

• 595 posts
    March 3, 2017 11:05 AM PST

Iksar said:

Any hint as to when they will announce Vega?

Last I saw, the most precise they would get is Q2 2017 (this sounds familiar...).  So as one article I read alluded to, that basically narrows it down to sometime April 1 - June 30 of this year.  We'll see.  If I had to make a guess I would say AMD have been waiting to see where Intel prices the GTX 1080Ti before revealing their cards, but that's pure conjecture on my part.

http://www.techradar.com/news/amd-vega-release-date-news-and-features-everything-you-need-to-know

Iksar said:

I hope it really pulls through so I can get my freesync on. :d

FreeSync 2! ;)

This post was edited by Nikademis at March 3, 2017 11:13 AM PST
    • 2752 posts
    March 3, 2017 4:02 PM PST

I'm a bit confused about Freesync 2, is it going to require special monitors with it or will it just be something many Freesync monitors can tap into? 

• 595 posts
    March 3, 2017 4:11 PM PST

Iksar said:

I'm a bit confused about Freesync 2, is it going to require special monitors with it or will it just be something many Freesync monitors can tap into? 

From my understanding you will need a monitor certified for FreeSync 2 but that hasn't been officially verified by AMD yet?  I think...?  It's a bit nebulous to me as well heh.  Check out this article.  If nothing else it explains which AMD GPUs will be cross compatible.

"If you own an AMD Radeon graphic card from the HD 7000 series, HD 8000, R7 or R9 Series and above, FreeSync 2 will be supported via a driver update. The AMD Radeon R9 295X2, 290X, R9 290, R9 285,R7 260X and R7 260 GPUs additionally feature updated display controllers that will support dynamic refresh rates during gaming. What’s more, AMD claims that FreeSync 2 will work in parallel with FreeSync. The R9 280 and 280X do not support FreeSync or FreeSync 2."

So it seems like worst case scenario you can still use FreeSync with your compatible monitor and GPU.  FreeSync 2 won't render your hardware or FreeSync obsolete (yet?).

This post was edited by Nikademis at March 3, 2017 4:18 PM PST
    • 595 posts
    March 3, 2017 4:26 PM PST

Iksar said:

Nikademis said:

They're here.....

How about this one?  I'm not anywhere near a final decision, but this one is on the short list.

EDIT: After some more research, the above case is likely going to be too small for my plans.  I mean, it could likely be done but I don't want to add another variable for my first attempt at a custom loop.

But...I like this :D

This post was edited by Nikademis at March 5, 2017 10:11 AM PST
    • 595 posts
    March 4, 2017 9:57 AM PST

Here is an interesting article regarding AMDs relatively poor 1080p gaming benchmarks, with an actual statement from AMD.  Here's a sample:

"CPU benchmarking deficits to the competition in certain games at 1080p resolution can be attributed to the development and optimization of the game uniquely to Intel platforms – until now. Even without optimizations in place, Ryzen delivers high, smooth frame rates on all “CPU-bound” games, as well as overall smooth frame rates and great experiences in GPU-bound gaming and VR. With developers taking advantage of Ryzen architecture and the extra cores and threads, we expect benchmarks to only get better, and enable Ryzen excel at next generation gaming experiences as well."

The PR jargon is not lost on me, but the point still stands - this is exactly why I said I didn't think it was nearly as cut and dry as people want to claim.  Pair this with Intel's inevitable smear campaign and you've got a recipe for chaos.