Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

• 595 posts
    • 2752 posts
    February 22, 2017 3:53 PM PST

Odd, these prices are much higher than I have read elsewhere. Everything I have read says: The Ryzen 7 1800X ($499), 1700X ($399), and 1700 ($329) 

Even more excited they will detail the Vega GPUs on the 28th. 

• 208 posts
    February 22, 2017 4:08 PM PST

Iksar said:

Odd, these prices are much higher than I have read elsewhere. Everything I have read says: The Ryzen 7 1800X ($499), 1700X ($399), and 1700 ($329) 

the link he posted is for Canada.

so far from what I have seen these are impressive for their prices. Wpainting for full reviews.

This post was edited by Bluefyre at February 22, 2017 4:09 PM PST
    • 595 posts
    February 22, 2017 4:11 PM PST

Bluefyre said:

Iksar said:

the link he posted is for Canada.

Indeed, thanks Bluefry.  The link is for Newegg.ca as I live in British Columbia.  Replace the ".ca" with ".com" and you'll see it in USD rather than CAD.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Ryzen&N=50001028&isNodeId=1

• 563 posts
    February 22, 2017 4:16 PM PST

Very cool to see these are finally hitting the market :D I can't wait to see some benchmarks comparing them to similarily priced Intel chips! :D

I love AMD and I'm really hoping they bring some competition back to the market, I currently have an FX8150 which was a great price to preformance for its time, still runs quite beautifully :)

PS: Canadian Pride! :P

This post was edited by Rachael at February 22, 2017 4:16 PM PST
    • 595 posts
    February 22, 2017 4:26 PM PST

Rachael said:

Very cool to see these are finally hitting the market :D I can't wait to see some benchmarks comparing them to similarily priced Intel chips! :D

I love AMD and I'm really hoping they bring some competition back to the market, I currently have an FX8150 which was a great price to preformance for its time, still runs quite beautifully :)

Haha!  Well, as I'm sure I've stated on these forums over the years, I am actually an American.  Not that I can't have pride in Canada (especially given the political situation in the states, blech)!

But I agree, Rachael.  I'm really excited about this.  I'm not really a diehard either way, blue or red.  I've owned both Intel and AMD CPUs.  But having AMD competitive is good for the consumer so I'm all for it.

There are some specs floating around, but since you are a lovely Canadian lady (and I know, I married one), check out the video below - it's created by LinusTechTips (a subsidiary of Liuns Media Group) based out of Vancouver.  They are one of my favorite sources for tech news and reviews!  How's that for Canadian pride??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rUndzpdo1I&t

This post was edited by Nikademis at March 21, 2017 9:31 AM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    February 22, 2017 4:31 PM PST

Rachael said:

It looks like they are coming out with the wrecking ball. Performance with no overclock seems to be showing slightly behind the i7 6950x in multi-thread and physics, but higher for single-thread. But at $499 USD as opposed to $1650. Overclocked, the 1800x seems to have already broken the world record for multi-threaded performance. I'm hyped!

• 563 posts
    February 22, 2017 4:35 PM PST

Nikademis said:

Haha!  Well, as I'm sure I've stated on these forums over the years, I am actually an American.  Not that I can't have pride in Canada (especially given the political situation in the states, blech)!

But I agree, Rachael.  I'm really excited about this.  I'm not really a diehard either way, blue or red.  I've owned both Intel and AMD CPUs.  But having AMD competitive is good for the consumer so I'm all for it.

There are some specs floating around, but since you are a lovely Canadian lady (and I know, I married one), check out the video below - it's created by LinusTechTips (a subsidiary of Liuns Media Group) based out of Vancouver.  They are one of my favorite sources for tech news and reviews!  How's that for Canadian pride??

I must have missed that video thanks for linking, Love LinusTechTips :P I have a Wan Show hoodie, I usually put it on when I watch the wan show lol xD

edit: it came out today lol, I didn't "miss" it I just havent looked yet :P

This post was edited by Rachael at February 22, 2017 4:35 PM PST
    • 595 posts
    February 22, 2017 4:38 PM PST

Iksar said:

Rachael said:

It looks like they are coming out with the wrecking ball. Performance with no overclock seems to be showing slightly behind the i7 6950x in multi-thread and physics, but higher for single-thread. But at $499 USD as opposed to $1650. Overclocked, the 1800x seems to have already broken the world record for multi-threaded performance. I'm hyped!

Yea man, I agree.  All three (1700, 1700x and 1800x) pass the eye test for sure.

I need to take a closer look at clock speeds, particularly on the 1800x, as it would seem that you could get more than 4.0GHz out of an enthusiast level CPU given proper cooling.

• 595 posts
    February 22, 2017 4:39 PM PST

Rachael said:

Nikademis said:

I must have missed that video thanks for linking, Love LinusTechTips :P I have a Wan Show hoodie, I usually put it on when I watch the wan show lol xD

edit: it came out today lol, I didn't "miss" it I just havent looked yet :P

You're too cool Rachael!  WAN show hoodie, daaaamn!

• 563 posts
    February 22, 2017 8:24 PM PST

Nikademis said:

I watched the review and the initial review from linus seems incredible! The price of these ryzen chips compared to their intel counterparts is insane! I really hope when linus does an unbiased internal review, and others (such as "JayzTwoCents" and "Paul's Hardware"), the chip holds up just as well! :D

Haha its a great hoodie :D this Is the link to the small... I'm the only review for that size :D

I'd love to work for linus xD I even have the uniform! lol

This post was edited by Rachael at February 22, 2017 8:42 PM PST
    • 595 posts
    February 22, 2017 8:43 PM PST

Rachael said:

Nikademis said:

I watched the review and the initial review from linus seems incredible! The price of these ryzen chips compared to their intel counterparts is insane! I really hope when linus does an unbiased internal review, and others (such as "JayzTwoCents" and "Paul's Hardware"), the chip holds up just as well! :D

I'd love to work for linus xD I even have the uniform! lol

Right?  If we weren't so happy on the island I would consider applying as well.  As it turns out, I have some experience in media production and sales plus more than a casual interest in hardware/tech so it would be quite a nice fit.  Plus I'm still of the requisite age to fit in with that crowd (bunch-a-nuts, I tell ya).  So who knows?  Maybe someday!  But I digress...

As far as Ryzen, I'm really excited to see LTT get their hands on the CPUs, and eventually Vega as well....and then stick them in a watermelon or something absurd.  Seriously though, you can bet that they'll put AMD through its paces.  I'm still a few months from my build anyway so I look forward to the process over the next few weeks.

This post was edited by Nikademis at February 22, 2017 8:48 PM PST
    • 563 posts
    February 22, 2017 8:48 PM PST

Nikademis said:

Right?  If we weren't so happy on the island I would consider applying as well.  As it turns out, I have some experience in media production and sales plus more than a casual interest in hardware/tech so it would be quite a nice fit.  Plus I'm still of the requisite age to fit in with that crowd (bunch-a-nuts, I tell ya).  So who knows?  Maybe someday!  But I digress...

As far as Ryzen, I'm really excited to see LTT get their hands on the CPUs, and eventually Vega as well....and then stick them in a watermelon or something absurd.  Seriously though, you can bet that they'll put AMD through its paces.  I'm still a few months from my build anyway so I look forward to the process over the next few weeks.

If you ever decide to go for it and make it, give me a shoutout! :D

Hell we all know the trouble they went through to get Dennis through customs and on the show! :D (and introduce me to Luke! I have such a crush on him lol!) xD

I too am holding out on my next build for as close to pantheon luanch as possible :D I want to get the best price for the tech as I can when it releases! :D I'm really hoping to see what the Nvidea "Volta" chips have to offer, they are slated for release late 2018! good time for a pantheon launch lol!

This post was edited by Rachael at February 22, 2017 8:54 PM PST
    • 595 posts
    February 22, 2017 8:53 PM PST

Rachael said:

Nikademis said:

If you ever decide to go for it and make it, give me a shoutout! :D

Hell we all know the trouble they went through to get Dennis through customs and on the show! :D (and introduce me to Luke! I have such a crush on him lol!) xD

Haha you got it.  I'm a piece of cake though, I'm married to a Canadian citizen and have residency...HIRED!

Lol Luke huh?  You could do worse ;)

• 563 posts
    February 22, 2017 8:59 PM PST

Nikademis said:

Haha you got it.  I'm a piece of cake though, I'm married to a Canadian citizen and have residency...HIRED!

Lukes a big cutie! I find hes the baby of the show, Have you seen the episode they did of his keyboard review? (his mom filmed it if I remember right!) So adorable! xD he was so innocent and naive XD

This post was edited by Rachael at February 22, 2017 8:59 PM PST
    • 595 posts
    February 22, 2017 9:04 PM PST

Rachael said:

Nikademis said:

Lukes a big cutie! I find hes the baby of the show, Have you seen the episode they did of his keyboard review? (his mom filmed it if I remember right!) So adorable! xD he was so innocent and naive XD

Ha, yes...it was pretty hard to watch lol!  Though in fairness, I'm only moderately attracted to Luke ;)  

It's pretty amazing what sticking with your passion can get you though, hey?

• 563 posts
    February 22, 2017 9:11 PM PST

Nikademis said:

Ha, yes...it was pretty hard to watch lol!  Though in fairness, I'm only moderately attracted to Luke ;)  

I literally "lolled" at the "I'm only moderately attracted to Luke ;) " xD.

Have you ever watched Barnacules Nerdgasm? He is another tech channel I love to watch and I find some of his videos very inpirational as an extreme introvert lol!

(linked video is one that I love watching when I feel my life/work life is going nowhere :P its an amazing life story video! :D)

This post was edited by Rachael at February 22, 2017 9:14 PM PST
    • 595 posts
    February 22, 2017 9:19 PM PST

Rachael said:

Nikademis said:

I literally "lolled" at the "I'm only moderately attracted to Luke ;) " xD.

Have you ever watched Barnacules Nerdgasm? He is another tech channel I love to watch and I find some of his videos very inpirational as an extreme introvert lol!

(linked video is one that I love watching when I feel my life/work life is going nowhere :P)

/bow ;) lawl

It's funny, I often see him on my "recommended" but I've yet to dive into his content.  Though, now I think I will take your advice and dive in, as I know you have good taste.  Thanks for the recommendation!

And actually, speaking of both Luke and new builds, there's a decent chance I build my new rig in a similar Phanteks case he just did "Geodude".  I currently have my AMD 8350 in an NZXT Phantom (white with blue LEDs - I call it Storm Troop'n) but in the age of RGB I really dig glasses cases.  And if I can push the Ryzen 1800x beyond 4.0GHz  it will be on the back of water cooling, which will look super dope too.  I'll just have to see if I can get a three fan rad and all the other goodies in it.  Though in fairness, he dumped a bunch of freaking rocks in his, so I'm sure I can fit hardware in it...

This post was edited by Nikademis at February 22, 2017 9:35 PM PST
    • 563 posts
    February 22, 2017 9:29 PM PST

Nikademis said:

/bow ;) lawl

It's funny, I often see him on my "recommended" but I've yet to dive into his content.  Though, now I think I will take your advice and dive in, as I know you have good taste.  Thanks for the recommendation!

Haha, when I get frustrated at my crap job I often listen to that particualar video and realize I can stive for more if I put all my mind and heart into it (admittedly harder because of the times and schooling needed to get there :S :P)

When he's talking about computers in his school I got so jealous, the most my elementary school offered was a "word per minute", a "math circus" and a game called Cross country Canada (as referensed by "lazyGameReviews" an awesome youtuber that usually does retro stuff) :D highly recomeded :P

This post was edited by Rachael at February 23, 2017 2:21 PM PST
    • 595 posts
    February 22, 2017 9:42 PM PST

Rachael said:

Nikademis said:

/bow ;) lawl

Haha, when I get frustrated at my crap job I often listen to that particualar video and realize I can stive for more if I put all my mind and heart into it (admittedly harder because of the times and schooling needed to get there :S :P)

The most my elementary school offered was a "word per minute", a "math circus" and a game called Cross country Canada (as referensed by "lazyGameReviews" an awesome youtuber that usually does retro stuff) :D highly recomeded :P

Keep your head up, it only takes a single break.  You're only ever one decision away from a totally different life (and I know, I met my wife and moved to Alberta six months later).  

I often question my career choices too.  I make a decent wage, but hate every minute of it.  If I could go back and do it over I'd be doing something like telling you how Ryzen compares to Kaby Lake, and not linking you someone else's content.  And RGB everywhere ;)

And what, no "Oregon Trail"?  As a native Oregonian I find this unsatisfactory!

This post was edited by Nikademis at February 22, 2017 9:49 PM PST
    • 563 posts
    February 22, 2017 10:06 PM PST

Nikademis said:

Keep your head up, it only takes a single break.  You're only ever one decision away from a totally different life (and I know, I met my wife and moved to Alberta six months later).  

I often question my career choices too.  I make a decent wage, but hate every minute of it.  If I could go back and do it over I'd be doing something like telling you how Ryzen compares to Kaby Lake, and not linking you someone else's content.  And RGB everywhere ;)

And what, no "Oregon Trail"?  As a native Oregonian I find this unsatisfactory!

I easily make more then the average worker at a computer supply store, but when I drive past my local NCIX or my local Canada Computers I frown because they arn't looking for work.

I cant help but imagine the customer interactions I might have with people. Out of all the "service" industries I'd have the least problems selling computer parts :D

If I knew what my local computer industry would be like, I would own my own store lol! So many fool's pay SOOOO much to have a computer "built" for them and to have "service" done" on them" XD!

This post was edited by Rachael at February 23, 2017 2:25 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    February 23, 2017 2:15 AM PST

First and last warning Rachael, next time --> Banhammer! lol :D

I really wish I could have held off with my new build until this was released but unfortunately time was an issue and I had to bite the bullet and go with my Intel setup, Ryzen looks promising, though, I can;t wait to see the benchmarks!

• 129 posts
    February 23, 2017 5:35 AM PST

I'm holding off - I want that ROG and Ryzen combo as long as the benchmarks aren't too far behind Intel. I want a reason to give AMD my money again. =)

• 208 posts
    February 23, 2017 6:59 AM PST

Kilsin said:

I really wish I could have held off with my new build until this was released but unfortunately time was an issue and I had to bite the bullet and go with my Intel setup, Ryzen looks promising, though, I can;t wait to see the benchmarks!

the way I always look at it is that there is always something better coming out no matter how much you wait. So if your question is 'Should I get X or wait for Y?' Just go ahead with X. Because if you wait for Y, then Z is coming soon.

• 595 posts
    February 23, 2017 8:59 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Lol *Banhammer* -------{} Rachael

Yea, it's really too bad they didn't have a more definitive timeline on release because you just finished your build a few days ago >.<  There was quite a bit of speculation but I can understand your position.  And as Bluefry said, you could wait in perpetuity because "Y" is always on the horizon.  Luckily, for the first time in quite a while it looks like "Y" might actually be competitive in the market.