Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Voice chat brainstorming

This topic has been closed.
    • 60 posts
    February 22, 2017 8:26 AM PST

After skimming the "Identical first names" topic, my mind wandered and asked myself how voice chat may be implemented to aide communication.  More people have microphones now than in the past.

The dev team already mentioned local /say voicechat would not make sense since too many voices would be heard.  Group voicechat and channel voicechat is a no brainer, but what else could be implemented?

Lets brainstorm some ideas..

What if your in a dungeon, and you want to /tell a stranger something in voicechat?  Could you rightclick the person for a dropdown menu which includes "record chat" option.. then you record a messege.  That messege is sent in full after its recorded.  The recipient would get a popup, "do you wish to receive voicechat from NAME"?

You could also send this /tell type of voicechat to anyone following a name search.

If both parties choose to join a voicechat channel for freespeak they could, of course, choose to do that as well.

Further.. what if you didnt need to rightclick select a player to send this messege.. what if you could press a button on your keyboard which gives you voice command options- you could simply talk into your mic "voicechat NAME" and record your messege.  Or say "Voicechat local" messege, "voicechat zone" messege.. etc.  To keep voicechatters from spamming, players can turn these messeges on ignore.

Any other ideas or tweaks?

This post was edited by Defector at February 22, 2017 8:33 AM PST
    • 626 posts
    February 22, 2017 8:52 AM PST

Neat ideas, but for me I think it may be a little much IMO for the game. Maybe down the road is can be added, but for me the only Voice Chats I think you need are Local and Group/Party to start. 

Maybe have Guild, but honestly most Guilds will use other clients such as Discord to communicate as it will allow more controll and customization. 

• 422 posts
    February 22, 2017 9:19 AM PST

My first question for you is, "Why?".

I personally hate voice chat. I never use it. I refuse to use it for the most part except on raids to placate people.

I'd assume what you are proposing, the recording of audio, would be a MUCH bigger issue than just sending an invite to join a private chat channel. You are talking about building in code to do the recording, package the audio, remotely upload it to a server, send out the notification, let the user stream the file which is the same as just downloading it and playing it. Now not only do they need voip but a server to house these hundreds of thousands of files.

Just add in voip, add the ability to send an invite to chat, done.

Or, better yet, don't waste time and money on voice chat and let people use whatever they currently use as most people will just continue to do so anyway. Built in group voice chat I fear will cause people to be forced into it when they do not wish to join voice. I do NOT want to listen to a bunch of people talk. Use chat. I hate voice with a passion. It will be the first thing I disable in the client if it is added.

• 556 posts
    February 22, 2017 9:19 AM PST

Still a no from me. Sorry totally anti in game voice chat. If want to talk to people I have a discord, gamevox, and mumble server

• 626 posts
    February 22, 2017 9:34 AM PST

Enitzu said:

Still a no from me. Sorry totally anti in game voice chat. If want to talk to people I have a discord, gamevox, and mumble server

I should have added this above as well. I also would use Discord for Voice vs anything in Game myself. I prefer to not have it, but if it is there I hope only for Local and Group. If its not there then I'd be happy with that myself probably. 

• 2752 posts
    February 22, 2017 10:30 AM PST

As Kellindil pointed out, recording and sending voice messages would be a LOT of work and money for very little actual gain. I'm not sure of any other options outside of just having the voice chat be in the game that could improve upon it, as I imagine most will still use outside sources for voice.

That said, please everyone, don't turn this into another "I don't like voice chat" ... "Well I do!" threads. 

• 159 posts
    February 22, 2017 10:42 AM PST

Kilsin has stated before that the money earmarked towards developing in game voice chat isn't coming from game development or art or server or any other funds.   Great.  But, with the plethora of 3rd party voice programs out there, most of which most gamers who will use voice already have installed, why put any effort or funds into in house voice in the first place?  

What we will end up with is a sound bombardment of "I use integrated for groups but my guild has a discord channel and my friends and I have had a ts3 channel for years and I'm in all 3 right now.".  Or alternately enough have stated only using voice for raids that it's something most will just disable.

Let gamers choose what they want from 3rd party apps and move the funds earmarked towards voice development and reallocate to assets or programming budgets, maybe speed things up without hurting quality that way?  It really seems kind of a frivolous waste for what I'm assuming is pretty much the ability to list the fact "our game has built in voice" even if nobody uses it over discord.   

If the dev team is so hot for integrated voice wouldn't it just make more sense to have a partnership giving ts3/mumble/discord/whomever built in to the client?

Just my 2 coppers on the subject.

This post was edited by Xilshale at February 22, 2017 10:43 AM PST
    • 441 posts
    February 22, 2017 10:43 AM PST

Before the thread is closed. I like that idea. I would also like to be able to right click peoples names in chat to start a Voice Chat session that way. 

• 422 posts
    February 22, 2017 10:43 AM PST

Iksar said:

As Kellindil pointed out, recording and sending voice messages would be a LOT of work and money for very little actual gain. I'm not sure of any other options outside of just having the voice chat be in the game that could improve upon it, as I imagine most will still use outside sources for voice.

That said, please everyone, don't turn this into another "I don't like voice chat" ... "Well I do!" threads. 

True, we should probably try to keep on topic less Kilsin lock the thread.

I too just don't see how the voice chat feature could be improved upon short of adding gimmicky features like EQ2 SOEmote stuff. Which is cool, but I used for all of about 10 minutes then turned it all off again.

As Brad pointed out proximity chat is just plain not functionally a good idea. So much chatter would just get annoying and no one would be understood. 

Guild, group and personal channels are fairly standard. What else is there really? What else do you really need in voice chat? Lets assume that chat would have all the modern features of VOIP. Muting, volume controls, channel moderation, etc.

If you wanted to chat with someone it would be polite to send them a text based tell first, then invite them. If someone just started sending me invites to some random chat i'd decline them outright just on principal. Is it really such a hassle to type a greeting first?

Do we really need innovation in this area? It's not even a major feature. It's not required, but is more a luxury for those who want to use it and don't have access to third party programs. Which is few and far between with so many free options.

• 1618 posts
    February 22, 2017 1:33 PM PST

You may want to check out the previous topic, https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5235/does-voice-chat-ruin-immersion

This post was edited by Beefcake at February 22, 2017 1:35 PM PST
    • 60 posts
    February 22, 2017 1:39 PM PST

Lets keep this on topic:

How can Pantheon implement voicechat in a way not previously used in a game, or in a way chat clients/services cant?

Another thought I had.. what if Pantheon could modify your voice to match whatever race you are? hahaha

This post was edited by Defector at February 22, 2017 1:40 PM PST
    • 1618 posts
    February 22, 2017 1:56 PM PST

Defector said:

Lets keep this on topic:

How can Pantheon implement voicechat in a way not previously used in a game, or in a way chat clients/services cant?

Another thought I had.. what if Pantheon could modify your voice to match whatever race you are? hahaha

Already discussed in the other thread.

• 9115 posts
    February 22, 2017 3:26 PM PST

Beefcake said:

You may want to check out the previous topic, https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5235/does-voice-chat-ruin-immersion

As Beefcake has kindly pointed out, we have several discussion going about Voice chat, one of them is linked above, for that reason, I will go ahead and close this thread, please use the search function in future prior to creating a new thread as more often than not you will find the topic has already been discussed over the last few years.

Our voice chat will be integrated and be for groups, guilds and raids, you won't hear someone talking out in the world and there will be options to turn it off and customise it a bit.

Here are some of the already active discussions:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2025/what-is-your-approach-to-voice-chats

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5235/does-voice-chat-ruin-immersion

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4756/voice-attack-in-pantheon

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4400/in-client-voice-chat - Champion Subforums