Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Stealing From NPCs (Not That Way! I'm Talking About Farms, etc.)

• 187 posts
    February 12, 2017 5:12 PM PST

I checked, I didn't find anything quite like what I'm asking. I did look through 10 pages, in fairness, but I didn't read all the way through all posts on all threads across the entire 10 pages.

Here's the reason I'm asking the question, so it might make the question more understandable...

In Skyrim, one thing that I admittedly liked... but didn't like... I could go onto NPC farms and just take all their hard-earned harvest. I could walk up to barrels and take whatever I wanted. Only one NPC ever even so much as said anything, "Why is she digging through the rubbish barrel?"

So my hope is that there will be some mechanic to make this a little less obviously outright unnoticed theft.

Here's my thought. In the old days, in certain cultures, the "outskirts" of the farmland was "tithe" and it was allowed for travelers or poor people to take food from the edges of the fields. If they wanted more, they were allowed to labor for it, but they didn't get to keep the entire result of their labor. Working the field was payment for their food, it was an exchange, unless they took from clearly defined outlying areas. This was a way that poor people were cared for and at the same time, it kept fields from overgrowing.

Anyway. I would like to see farms in Pantheon, but I'd like to see it where there are very specific rules. This would especially be the case if we, players, get to farm. It would be a nice way for us to make money off of our farms. Though I don't know what your plans are for that sort of thing, but either way, I find it quite absurd that we can walk up to hard-working farmers and just take their produce (though I admit that I never used the mods that fix it, because I love cooking as a craft skill :p ). I don't want it in the game--I'll use it if it's there (as I just admitted, lol).

• 690 posts
    February 12, 2017 7:35 PM PST

Amris said:

I checked, I didn't find anything quite like what I'm asking. I did look through 10 pages, in fairness, but I didn't read all the way through all posts on all threads across the entire 10 pages.

Here's the reason I'm asking the question, so it might make the question more understandable...

In Skyrim, one thing that I admittedly liked... but didn't like... I could go onto NPC farms and just take all their hard-earned harvest. I could walk up to barrels and take whatever I wanted. Only one NPC ever even so much as said anything, "Why is she digging through the rubbish barrel?"

So my hope is that there will be some mechanic to make this a little less obviously outright unnoticed theft.

Here's my thought. In the old days, in certain cultures, the "outskirts" of the farmland was "tithe" and it was allowed for travelers or poor people to take food from the edges of the fields. If they wanted more, they were allowed to labor for it, but they didn't get to keep the entire result of their labor. Working the field was payment for their food, it was an exchange, unless they took from clearly defined outlying areas. This was a way that poor people were cared for and at the same time, it kept fields from overgrowing.

Anyway. I would like to see farms in Pantheon, but I'd like to see it where there are very specific rules. This would especially be the case if we, players, get to farm. It would be a nice way for us to make money off of our farms. Though I don't know what your plans are for that sort of thing, but either way, I find it quite absurd that we can walk up to hard-working farmers and just take their produce (though I admit that I never used the mods that fix it, because I love cooking as a craft skill :p ). I don't want it in the game--I'll use it if it's there (as I just admitted, lol).

I'd imagine if they have an alchemy/cooking/brewery system they will have harvestable plants, unless they do it like eq1 and force you to kill the right things, shop at the right places, and forage/fish. 

As for how realistic they will have it, I suppose they could make certain areas of land unharvestable unless you are friends with the owner or some such

• 323 posts
    February 12, 2017 9:35 PM PST

There could be local sheriffs who guard the farms and lock your character in jail for stealing the farmers' harvest.  If you get thrown in jail you can't play the game for one day per infraction.  Well, you can play, but you are stuck in jail and all you can do is like eat jail food and drink jail water and talk to other inmates.

• 2886 posts
    February 13, 2017 6:18 AM PST

Gnog said:

There could be local sheriffs who guard the farms and lock your character in jail for stealing the farmers' harvest.  If you get thrown in jail you can't play the game for one day per infraction.  Well, you can play, but you are stuck in jail and all you can do is like eat jail food and drink jail water and talk to other inmates.

Geez, not even Skyrim is that harsh lol. At least, they give you the option to try to break out :P I think if there was going to be a crime system in Pantheon, we would have heard about it by now. I love Skyrim's crime system, but it's wayyyyy harder to implement in an MMO compared to a single player game. There will of course be faction, but that's different. I'm guessing it won't be possible to steal everything in sight, or murder anyone you see, and therefore there probably won't be a jail for players. It would be interesting, but I just don't think that's gonna happen. As Beaver said, I'm pretty sure there will be harvestable nodes in the world, but they will probably be more natural. Just because you see a farm doesn't automatically mean you'll be able to take the stuff. As "realistic" as that would be, it would lead to a lot of logistics issues that become too impractical in a massively multiplayer game. Some things are just for decoration.

• 187 posts
    February 13, 2017 6:31 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Gnog said:

Geez, not even Skyrim is that harsh lol. At least, they give you the option to try to break out :P I think if there was going to be a crime system in Pantheon, we would have heard about it by now. I love Skyrim's crime system, but it's wayyyyy harder to implement in an MMO compared to a single player game. There will of course be faction, but that's different. I'm guessing it won't be possible to steal everything in sight, or murder anyone you see, and therefore there probably won't be a jail for players. It would be interesting, but I just don't think that's gonna happen. As Beaver said, I'm pretty sure there will be harvestable nodes in the world, but they will probably be more natural. Just because you see a farm doesn't automatically mean you'll be able to take the stuff. As "realistic" as that would be, it would lead to a lot of logistics issues that become too impractical in a massively multiplayer game. Some things are just for decoration.

They could easily make specific points of interest like farms where each individual can harvest from it once within say, a 24 hour period. That would make these very limited points of interest non-competitive. I think that would be a lot more interesting than simply not having them or making them decorative just "because mechanics".

• 690 posts
    February 13, 2017 5:20 PM PST

Gnog said:

This would be very hard to implement, So as another has mentioned it probably won't be included if it hasn't been mentioned by VR. You'd have to program the guards to know the players who commit crimes, a way for guards to capture those who commit crimes, and a way for those who are higher level than the guards to care about commiting crimes. The regular townsfolk would need a realistic system for witnessing and reporting those crimes. Then you would need all of your laws, and you'd need them to be well-defined legally speaking, and for their punishments to be fair. 

I could see this as an argument for the immersion server, but again it might be too much, at least for launch. 

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at February 13, 2017 5:22 PM PST