Forums » The Enchanter

Most Memorable moments as an EQ Enchanter

• 2 posts
    February 7, 2017 4:00 PM PST

Like most enchanters, my most memorable moments were controlling an instance where without effective charming and mezzing the group would wipe.  Karnors castle was one such.  Other than that my most memorable moment is when I charmed a Sand Giant to fight another Sand Giant to the amazement of the players along the beach. A scary proposition when I first decided to attempt it.

• 72 posts
    February 8, 2017 5:55 AM PST

A Few

1. Controlling vast amounts of Mobs in Lower Guk with color stun and mez while systematically killing everything that moved.

2. First guild folks with monk pulling King all the way up to entrance to will with massive train, wiping the first time then killing the second.

3. MM Castle the first week of playing and someone in group saying "Why would you be an Enchanter, they don't do anything".

Vanguard Psi:

Falling out the window of some dungeon on a cliff (can't remember name, skelly's a bridge) to some long ass fall and everyone laughing non stop.

This post was edited by Zahlhedren at February 13, 2017 11:26 PM PST
    • 15 posts
    February 8, 2017 1:16 PM PST

Vanilla Plane of Hate break in group where I was the ONLY Enchanter in the raid. Chain stunning and being fed mana from the Necros so the rest of the raid could get up and clear the filled room. 

Other than that, I loved camping the zone lines with a group and de-railing trains till a camp opened up. There was little more rewarding events than some bard in the group saying, "Enchanters are usless when there's a Bard" and the puller showing up with 8 mobs that are locked down on the spot then a train rolls over you with 10 more and you lock it all down with no deaths. Damn I miss actual CC classes...

• 43 posts
    February 8, 2017 2:00 PM PST

Heh... It's been a while now, but yeah, you mention the sand giant thing -- high level charming in 'mostly low level' areas was fun. I recall hanging around the druid ring in the West Commonlands with a charmed humanoid NPC and using it to obliterate lower level mobs that strayed nearby. I spent a fair amount of time doing a similar thing in Oasis of Marr (this, while spending time buffing and helping out lower level players in the area, which was my primary interest).

Most memorable moments, though, not sure of anything in particular, but just the general experience... those groups playing the puller, DPS, debuffer, crowd control, and (temporary) tank all in one... some fun times in Karnor's Castle, Velketor's Labyrinth, Sebilis, the Planes of Power, and the like. Controlled chaos. Things got a bit rougher with Lost Dungeons of Norrath and Gates of Discord (had to be more careful and delicate), but enjoyably busy all the same.

I often played with two friends, a cleric and a ranger, and we had a play style that would probably be construed as, umm, 'high risk'... thus coming with its share of brutal wipeouts but also big rewards and very fun times. We'd sometimes have random LFG people with us who would be like 'OMG, you guys'... Yes, welcome to EQ on full throttle~

"Why would you be an enchanter - they don't do anything" -- Really!!

(After Gates of Discord, I bumped the enchanter down to alt/bot status and played a rogue as my main instead.)

• 419 posts
    February 15, 2017 2:00 PM PST

My fav memory of EQ enchanter was playing around trying and testing different mob tyoes in zones to find out which will be the best mob to make your charmed pet!  I remember finding the healer cenobite in frontier mountains and with clarity and haste he was a machine of a pet who would heal the group and himself and meant I could group up with just a few others if pickings were slim and still take on dangerous mobs knowing that this little fella has our backs!  The other great thing about charming a healer were that if he did end up getting a few good hits on you before you could re charm he would almost definitely also heal all that damage straight away after charm stuck so it reduced the charm danger massively!!

Of course when running in a well balanced group there was nothign like finding the best dps mob to charm, hooking him up with 2 weapons and letting him loose on the mobs and watching the mob your fighting get destroyed!

• 167 posts
    February 17, 2017 6:28 PM PST

I was in Velks lab at Frenzied camp and the puller had to run a long way to get mobs.  On way back he got some a few repops and ended up with around 20.  I always used Enthrall because it had a lower recast time (1.5 sec vs 3.75 for next one in line) and a 48 sec duration.  I managed to single target mez all the mobs and by the time I got back to 1st one it was 4-5 seconds away from wearing off.  It was a very stressful fight.  Fortunately, we had an OOG healer that was able to soak some of the initial blows until I could get all mobs under control.  It was nothing but TAB-mezz, TAB-mezz for at least 4-5 minutes. 

• 661 posts
    February 19, 2017 11:02 AM PST

There were so many to be honest but an easy one that stands out was in Lower Guk.

We were deep in toward Ghoul Lord and our puller brought in about 5 mobs, what we did not know is someone else pulled another 5 mobs that aggroed on the way thru.  I quickly did a short chain mezz cycle then repeated with a longer mezz, this locked most down.  About the time the several people in group said "oh well this is a wipe, let's get back to camp ASAP" I proceeded to charm one of the Ton Warriors and start picking them off one by one.  All the while cycling through all my mezzed mobs, keeping them locked down.  Of course somewhere through all this, charm broke, which I always just short term mezzed, then recharmed, attack again...  Then of course, add in some more respanws during all this, nuts...

It was complete choas but we managed to get through it all without a death and no one in group could believe it.  It was moments like that which kept me playing the Enchanter for years, eventually never wanting to play anything else.  It had it's slow moments, but when you were needed, it was your time to shine!!

This post was edited by Pyye at February 19, 2017 11:05 AM PST
    • 84 posts
    February 20, 2017 3:25 PM PST

So many it's hard to choose. I'll do a couple and shorten the stories. :)

Testing new members to the guild, we'd put them in our well oiled group. Puller would say incoming, I'd ask how many, he'd say 5, 6 (or whatever) and we'd see how the new people reacted when the mobs flooded the room. Did they panic and break mezzes/not follow instructions while I locked them down and the rest of the group went to work? Or did they keep it together and do their job?

Being in Plane of Hate with the "best enchanter on the server" who was designated to get the robe if it dropped. While they were busy showing off all the shiny toys and tricks I was doing my job keeping buffs up, (including in his group because he was too busy showing off), mezzing mobs/ccing faster than him. In general just being better to the point he got angry that if I didn't stop doing "his work" he'd leave. I was like, no big deal, just overwrite my stuff if you need to, doesn't matter to me as long as the raid succeeds - well, he left...and guess what dropped. :D

Last one was with me playing SK and wife playing enchanter, deep in The Hole (keep it clean), and a sk wanted to join us from the guild. We had a spot, said sure, we're in X room (forget which now). He runs down and feign deaths... but in the wrong room. He feigned in the room we were in, and his feign failed. Mobs killed him and we were in serious trouble. Wife managed to get the mobs under control while I talked to her about which to fight next, which I'd relay to the group (typing only back then) so she could concentrate on the order she had things locked down in (maximize the timers and mana). We ended up making it through, but it was quite a rush. :)

• 57 posts
    February 21, 2017 10:34 AM PST

So many the list is just too long. But one of my favorites was the Emp SSRA fight (also one of my all time fav raids). Locking down the adds in the side cubbys at first seemed impossible. Got so good at it that I could keep mine locked down and also help some of the others get theirs locked down as well as throw buffs out on the fly. I really miss that zone and the raids there. Of all the zones up to Luclin it was always my favorite. Luclin was also such a welcomed xpac for chanters as Velious pretty much turned us into buffbots since most giants couldnt be mezzed and charmed mobs werent really wanted by most (except those dire wolves in Kael and the spectres near Lord Bob in Velks... those things were beasts as pets). But yea running into Emp SSRA's room and all those snakes comin from both sides of the room was insane. Locking them down and having to push them into the cubbies was a huge learning curve but once we figured it out was so much fun. And his loot /drool

• 263 posts
    February 22, 2017 9:50 AM PST

1) Every time I proved to a bard or monk why enchanters were the best pullers in EQ, bar none. Probably 1 in 4 groups had to argue that point, and it was always awesome to see their reactions after a couple spawn cycles of me pulling.

2) Reverse charm in almost any situation I used it.

3) 3rd Floor ToFS, puller had a client side lag spike and ended up pulling about 2/3 of the floor at once. Didn't lose a single group member.

4) Just about every overpull in The Hole, where half the mobs are immune to the enchanter toolkit. You have to be creative, and I was.

5) Any time any of the numerous clerics I had been in prior groups with sought me out specifically for something difficult/dangerous.

• 19 posts
    February 28, 2017 9:33 PM PST

Charming players that wanted to duel ....... and then sending them into the guards  :)

• 84 posts
    March 10, 2017 11:27 AM PST

BatchElder69 said:

Charming players that wanted to duel ....... and then sending them into the guards  :)

I used to enduring breath myself and drown them. :D

• 781 posts
    March 10, 2017 2:06 PM PST

The time my minor illusion spell broke and I could move while in the illusion. I was diguised as a platinum piece in EC and people chased me all over the place trying to pick me up. 

• 1954 posts
    March 19, 2017 1:52 PM PDT

Considering playing an Enchanter first time ever,  am thinking I'll probably need a mentor ..show me the ropes on 'chanting :)

Cana

• 661 posts
    March 19, 2017 3:07 PM PDT

Nice Cana...!

Who knows what kind of skills we will have but I did play one as main toon in EQ for 10 years...  Really hoping it is a combo between EQ & VG.

It will certainly be a lot of fun running around Terminus together!

• 171 posts
    March 22, 2017 4:41 PM PDT

I was on an EQEmu server for a while. This server had so many crazy items added that basically made everyones resists 525.  They were holding a BoTB tournament in Qeynos arena and everyone on the server showed up.  I was the only enchanter, so naturally everyone was out to destroy me so I couldnt cc them, but because of the resist gear the server granted, I was utterly useless. nothing at all would land on everyone.  I found this out during some warm up games and everyone else figured it out too, so I was relegated to watching doodie dry in the sun. 

When the time came for the actual BoTB brawl, i put on my enchanter hat and laughed myself silly for about 45 minutes.  LvL 1 spell- minor illusion. Parlour trick , they say.  I got a lucky illusion of a streetlamp while I was standing in a corner. noone was watching me because I was unfreightening, and I got a perfect illusion that looked like it was placed there when the game was build.  I spent 10 mana on that spell. and outlived 98 people who were beating eachother up.  I was not discovered until the GM running the event was checking out the final 2 battle eachother, and realized I was still in there.... somewhere.

/target whipple

/port to target

/em looks around confused

/say lol wtf?what program are you using?

#summon whipple

/shout OMG THAT IS BRILLIANT! you will place 3rd, but you obviously won.

as soon as he summoned me, the 2 who were fighting, and best buds, murdered me.

Parlour trick, they say.... muahaha

• 171 posts
    March 22, 2017 4:42 PM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:

Considering playing an Enchanter first time ever,  am thinking I'll probably need a mentor ..show me the ropes on 'chanting :)

Cana

not my guide, but pretty much sums it up!

seriously enchantering is the best

• 1954 posts
    March 22, 2017 6:13 PM PDT

Larr said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Cana

not my guide, but pretty much sums it up!

seriously enchantering is the best

Your BOTB experience was pretty clever..and doing things like that appeal to my evil side ..lol   Thanks for the guide btw.  :)

Cana

• 318 posts
    April 1, 2017 9:43 PM PDT

I cannot pin it down to one moment but I vividly remember my favorite experiences was when I cast AE mezz.  It was so amazing and completely saved everything so many times.  It got to a point, my group would pull 4 or 5 mobs and let me just queue them up for them.

• 16 posts
    April 25, 2017 1:24 PM PDT

EQ1, Warrior dueled me near the swamp of Guk. I charmed him and drown him in the water. Silly Warrior...

• 1 posts
    April 25, 2017 3:02 PM PDT

During a LDoN Being told I was the worst enchanter he had ever seen.

The next LDoN being told I was the best enchanter they had ever seen.

Just having that kind of impact on a groups success or failure

• 320 posts
    April 26, 2017 8:04 PM PDT

I have LOTS...

Mezz-locking all of lower Chardok when the entire raid got wiped - except for me - and then finally managed after several minutes to get a rezz off on a cleric - we came back from it and finished the raid.

Early PvP and mezzing/charming my target - then sicking him on a guard

charming and buffing a snake in the newb area - then dropping the mezz and mem-wiping...

Binding myself in the pot room in TimDeep - Ok, it was above th pot room on the ocean floor next to Feydedar - but where's the harm in that?

Proving to everyone I met that the single best puller in-game really was an enchanter... angered so many monks with that...

I really could go on and on.  And there are a ton of things I loved about EQ2 and Vanguard.....

oh!  forgot a biggie!  On a Fear raid I was elected to eat the Death-touch.  Everything was going great - until somehow I resisted the DT.  And the raid wiped because of it.  And the entire raid saying how only I could ****-up dieing!

This post was edited by Nephretiti at April 26, 2017 8:07 PM PDT
    • 29 posts
    May 19, 2017 10:12 AM PDT

My puller accidentally pulliing 20+ sarnaks from sarnaks castle, and me having to crowd control the mess for the next 20 minutes while my group slowly chipped away at the haul until we took them all down. Quite the memorable gaming moment! It was very intense.

• 263 posts
    May 19, 2017 11:44 AM PDT

Nephretiti said:

Proving to everyone I met that the single best puller in-game really was an enchanter... angered so many monks with that...

Fact.

Enchanters are EQ1's best pullers, hands down. 

• 48 posts
    May 20, 2017 11:09 AM PDT
    Awesome stories guys/gals I can relate to them all! Loved playing the Enchanter and looking forward to making some great new memories. Enchanters Forever!