Forums » News and Announcements

Pantheon: Class and Race Combinations

• 690 posts
    February 3, 2017 11:58 PM PST

Really lovin this thread you got here. Had several ideas if you wanna have a look:

IF Enchanters play like they did in Everquest-with lots of mezzes and different transformations-THEN enchanters will have a very interesting take on stealth. Going by this, any race that likes stealth, such as a halfling, could somewhat justify an enchanter just based on this. I like how you gave halflings credit for their tricksy charisma with Enchanter class.

Moving along, Halflings live in a tree city, seem to have some religion, and like nature...Shamans today are either very spiritual (nature wise), very good with strong psychodelics (many of which are found in rain forests and nature in general), or both. I'd go so far as to say that halflings, ogres, and wood elves deserve shaman more than any other race.

Monks and clerics are both found at monastaries. I feel if you can justify monks for archai you can justify clerics; both are disciplined where one is more physical while the other is more magical. On a related note, paladins, necros (negative clerics), and dire lords(negative paladins) could be seen as disciplined as well, but not so much as clerics.

You could probably fit rangers on Dark Myr...think nets, throwing tridents, hunting those elusive fish, and the large portion of brain that goes to having a sense of direction in The Middle of Nowhere, Ocean. Also Dark Myr, with a few re names on abilities, could def pull off monk just as well as, if not better than, a human monk who is under water: Underwater Kung-Fu!

Elves could probably be more pious then they are given credit for (clerics, pallies) unless you are thinking they are more wood elf then high elf (the lore makes them seem pretty high elf to me).

I would actually take monk off of Dwarves, fighting hand to hand or with staves doesn't seem like a good idea when you are short and stout. Dire Lords though seem like negative pallys and some dwarves may lean towards the dark side. Also rangers, less like strider, and more as people with excellent senses of direction, could be seen among a race who goes exploring frozen tundras or under the earth(give them crossbows or blunderbusses to show off their ingenuity). 

Gnomes dont seem pious to me so I agree with them not getting clerics; good arguments for the druid-elios fire relationship have been made though. As a side note, if I could make myself an awesome arcane body, I would make it good at singing.

I could actually see an ogre wizard. Any decent ogre would like explosions and wonton destruction.

Skar could pull off bard, they seem loud and battle songs are... songs. Skar might also like rangers for their (man) hunting prowess.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at February 4, 2017 12:36 AM PST
    • 724 posts
    February 4, 2017 12:30 AM PST

Very happy to see this! The only things that seem off are that halflings and gnomes have no healing option at all. I suppose their starting areas will be close enough to that of other healing capable races, so they can meet up early.

I was also surprised to see the skar monk option. But we don't know how monks are envisioned in this game, and I've seen enough movies with evil kung fu masters just fighting for their own gain...so it may be a good fit :)

And I agree that it's odd to have archai wizards but not summoners. Maybe it is that the archai value freedom too much and feel bad about "enslaving" elemental beings to which they may actually feel rather close?

This post was edited by Sarim at February 4, 2017 12:31 AM PST
    • 255 posts
    February 4, 2017 1:33 AM PST

Looks like the Classes page needs updating with Paladin replacing Crusader.

• 9115 posts
    February 4, 2017 1:42 AM PST

Boulda said:

Looks like the Classes page needs updating with Paladin replacing Crusader.

It is already being worked on mate, we announced a little while back that we were updating the website over the next few weeks, including an updated FAQ etc. ;)

• 279 posts
    February 4, 2017 2:26 AM PST

Still curious about the lore behind why Archai can be Wizards and not Summoners. Being infused with elements seems like they would be great for Summoners. Maybe that's not what Summoning magic is based on? What's the deal?

• 542 posts
    February 4, 2017 2:57 AM PST

Kilsin said:

“The Odd Ones”

• Dark Myr Bards?

•      The Bard’s abilities aren’t limited to just buffing and uplifting their allies. Some of their songs will also demoralize foes, or manifest sonic based attacks. The Dark Myr definitely fit this side of the bard more so than most of the other “civilized” races.

Bard and Necro are not official launch classes but we included them anyway as we are working hard on trying to make them launch classes, please don't hate us if we can't get them ready in time, though! :)

Dark Myr Can Sing?

While bards are traditionally known for their upbeat and jovial qualities in MMOs, we felt that the Dark Myr presented a unique and authentic chance to broaden the scope of the class. Songs and melodies in our own world are not merely relegated to the happy side of life. As Ceythos first put it in one of our discussions, “What about the mournful power of a dirge?”

That idea was compelling, especially in the context of the Dark Myr. A huge part of their culture was and is lamenting their history and remembering the excruciating moments after they came to Terminus…

“Many say the cries of anguish loosed that day still linger in the murky waters…  Yet the fateful day of their arrival is marked by mourning, one week prior and one week after. Among the ceremony is a reading from ‘The Day of Testimonies’ a collection of witness accounts to the lamentable day.”

While the lore isn’t explicit in this regard, in my mind deep and mournful songs are as much a part of the ceremonies as the readings -- which are dramatic and performed in front of the entire assembly. That aspect of weaving together the theatrical with the memorial also fits with a second answer as to why Dark Myr can be bards: the storytelling theater of song. We felt it was too narrow to exclude a troubadour aspect of the Bard. So if you can’t imagine a Dark Myr being inherently joyful, can you imagine them pretending to be, and perhaps using that skill to their advantage? Can you imagine a wanderer from the sea who learns tales of other worlds and casts a spell of song over anyone who will listen? I can, and it only deepens the sorrow and mystery of the Dark Myr.

<3 I am odd.Think of Dark Myr bards  as sirens 

Mournful power of dirge <3 On top of that i love the idea of taking possession of hostile faction members.Bending their minds in a way that tears would start rolling spontaneously when their mind gets afflicted by a Dark Myr mournful song.Shifting their alignment
    Captivating,enthralling them.hushed whispers fits this mournful ,yet captivating style. 

Awesome that VR tries to include bards at lauch <3 I'd mourn their absence too

This post was edited by Fluffy at February 4, 2017 3:17 AM PST
    • 36 posts
    February 4, 2017 3:15 AM PST

Monks would have the highest level of physical combat skill of the classes, and the Skar is an ideal race for a class that falls in that category. So, I'm not surprised to see a Skar Monk, and I'm very pleased how the Skar class selection turned out. 

I like that you guys are being a bit unorthodox with your class/race combinations. It's not completely random and you have some sound reasoning behind your decisions.

• 643 posts
    February 4, 2017 5:54 AM PST

Halhling enchanter is a glaring oversight !

Think about their lore and culture - trickery, and illusion.  They are trapped in a different body.  They are charming and beguiling because of their appearance.  

Out of every race listed, these make the most natural enchanters.

I'm glad to see Halfling Bards - I think Brad talked about that years and years ago (iirc) so that's good and it follows the whole mirth and music of Hobbits.  But Enchanters are simple mandatory must have gotta-do end-all be-all combination.

must must must (please)

• 332 posts
    February 4, 2017 7:01 AM PST

You hear us on the elven paladin... *bangs shield with sword* ...ok pweeety please !

• 2886 posts
    February 4, 2017 7:23 AM PST

Alexander said:

philo said:

Let's not forget the Secret Class.  My speculation is it will be something like a Bloodmage from VG.  An arcane healer.  That would be a solution for the gnome healer issue.

This seems very sensible! And it'd address the "few Clerics" issue.

Do we know that the secret class will be available at launch, though? Or just in a future expansion?

Fluffy said:

I am odd.Think of Dark Myr bards  as sirens 

Mournful power of dirge <3 On top of that i love the idea of taking possession of hostile faction members.Bending their minds in a way that tears would start rolling spontaneously when their mind gets afflicted by a Dark Myr mournful song.Shifting their alignment
    Captivating,enthralling them.hushed whispers fits this mournful ,yet captivating style. 

Awesome that VR tries to include bards at lauch <3 I'd mourn their absence too

That's not odd. That's exactly how I think of them too. I think it's a really intriguing combo

This post was edited by Bazgrim at February 4, 2017 7:24 AM PST
    • 58 posts
    February 4, 2017 7:58 AM PST

Choices look interesting might entice some to roll alts they normally wouldn't. 

• 1778 posts
    February 4, 2017 8:57 AM PST

@Bazgrim

To my knowledge we dont know what the secret class is or when it will be released. It could be an expansion class or.............. it could be a 3rd class that comes out along with Bard and Necro shortly after launch? But Im guessing expansion.

@Fluffy

Well said about the Dark Myr.

• 1618 posts
    February 4, 2017 9:20 AM PST

I think most people's arguments stem from a lack of understanding of the races. People are concentrating too much on their own traditional conception of the races. Pantheon is clearly going their own way on the races. So, before criticizing that a race should/should not have a class, you need to think about Pantheon's version of the race, not your traditional concept.

This post was edited by Beefcake at February 4, 2017 9:20 AM PST
    • 2419 posts
    February 4, 2017 9:32 AM PST

Beefcake said:

I think most people's arguments stem from a lack of understanding of the races. People are concentrating too much on their own traditional conception of the races. Pantheon is clearly going their own way on the races. So, before criticizing that a race should/should not have a class, you need to think about Pantheon's version of the race, not your traditional concept.

But then the vast majority in this thread would have nothing about which they could complain.

• 14 posts
    February 4, 2017 9:34 AM PST

I was really wanting to play an archai direlord! but I guess I will have to settle for the ogre like every other direlord out there. You just couldnt allow me to be a special snowflake could you!

• 1618 posts
    February 4, 2017 9:48 AM PST

zhyn said:

I was really wanting to play an archai direlord! but I guess I will have to settle for the ogre like every other direlord out there. You just couldnt allow me to be a special snowflake could you!

I have been considering changing from an Ogre Dire lord to a Dark Myr Dire lord.  Could be interesting.

This post was edited by Beefcake at February 4, 2017 9:48 AM PST
    • 690 posts
    February 4, 2017 2:41 PM PST

Beefcake said:

I read the lore and loved it. The races in pantheon are very close to traditional ideals; read more books, and play more fantasy (particularly DND) before condemning everyone else's perfectly valid opinions please. For more details:

The dwarves lived in a mountain and enjoy making things with ore (like armor and maces) while staying somewhat aloof, like they are every time in fantasy stories, save it be maybe elder scrolls

The gnomes are really smart, got too far with technology, and have a stronger than human desire to harness power (and work ethic), like they do traditionally

the elves have a strong sense of wisdom,justice and like big beautiful mixxes of nature and architecture, like they do fantasy wise (like lotr)

The skar are your typical battle loving race, this position is usually filled by something like canabalistic human tribes, mountain tribes, viking-like tribes you see in high fantasy

Dark Myr are fighting, evil mermaids, seen somewhat often in fantasy stories, Pirates of the Carribean, warcraft 3 comes to mind

Ogres are tribal fighters, as is seen in many fantasy stories for them or giants, like harry potter, though some have them as loners. I will grant their particular liking for nature, however

Archai are your typical arcanna race seen in DND, where they somehow managed to mix themselves with magic, or be born from magic, without using technology, counterpart to gnomes

Humans are a mix of everything, like they usually are traditionally, being the "base race"

Halflings are tricksters and party-goers who dont appreciate stronger forms of violence, as you might expect of folk with their apparant age. Also similar to traditional hobits despite having trees instead of hills. Though I will give them the more original native american side they seem to have with their particular appreciation for nature.

Now if ogres were really smart, dark myr built the underwater citiy of Rapture, Elves built explosives day in and day out, and Dwarves were a tribal canabalistic race, then yes I'd say your argument is valid and everyone should shut up.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at February 4, 2017 5:44 PM PST
    • 55 posts
    February 4, 2017 3:01 PM PST

This is excellent!!

This post was edited by AvianaSummerwood at February 4, 2017 3:04 PM PST
    • 2886 posts
    February 4, 2017 3:03 PM PST

Vandraad said:

Beefcake said:

But then the vast majority in this forum would have nothing about which they could complain.

Fixed that for you lol

• 3237 posts
    February 4, 2017 3:40 PM PST

Xxar said:

You hear us on the elven paladin... *bangs shield with sword* ...ok pweeety please !

Yeah I totally think cleric/paladin would make sense for elves but we'll see!  As someone mentioned previously,  it depends on if they are portrayed more as a wood elf or a high elf.  I always thought of elves as extremely noble ... 

• 690 posts
    February 4, 2017 4:19 PM PST

oneADseven said:

Yeah I totally think cleric/paladin would make sense for elves but we'll see!  As someone mentioned previously,  it depends on if they are portrayed more as a wood elf or a high elf.  I always thought of elves as extremely noble ... 

OMG someone read my post! yay!

If elves are ageless as they tend to be...old folks tend toward traditions (like religion). Just throwing another bone to all the pious elves here, I usually don't pick traditional races like dwarf, human, elf myself. Also "cast an aggressive eye toward the surrounding lands, rooting out evil where it resides." sounds pretty ..devout...to me

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at February 4, 2017 4:34 PM PST
    • 15 posts
    February 4, 2017 4:29 PM PST

So how much do we need to pledge to get bards at launch... :)  

Let's start a campaign... Brad's Bard Bakeoff?

• 6 posts
    February 4, 2017 5:10 PM PST

Elven Cleric, please.

• 178 posts
    February 4, 2017 8:34 PM PST

Well given my history with Everquest that forever determined my rolling of characters for every MMORPG since, until this came out I figured I would be rolling Ogre or Skar - depending on what my friends would be rolling because I wouldn't want to be rolling a character that is far from being able to group with them in the early go. Now reading through these race and class combinations I find that I may be wavering in my race choice. I started looking for the "uncommons" to be a more unique sight in the world. Having never played much of a magic user (other than a mage in WoW) I saw that Summoner could only be played by three races. But upon seeing Gnomes could be summoners I didn't realize just how much of an effect Everquest had on me until just now.

There is no way in hell I will ever play a gnome! That Gnome/Elf war that was going on back in the early days of Everquest (from launch date) on Rallos Zek was, perhaps, my worst experience ever in a MMORPG. Luckily Everquest was so appealing that it was fairly easy for a group of us to abandon Rallos Zek (about 3 or 4 weeks after launch) to a PVE server. I was playing an elf and just hated the sigh and thought of a gnome. I know that the gnomes of Pantheon aren't at all like the gnomes of Everquest but even now almost twenty years later it's an automatic "No way in hell!" and that is very simply from the gnome/elf war that existed on the Rallos Zek server upon launch of Everquest. That's just too funny.

But, I also see that Halflings can only be five playable classes so there may not be that many halflings running around - and they can also be a rogue. Not entirely sure I want to go back to being a rogue (even though there is a huge magnetic-like attraction pulling me in that direction). If it isn't a rogue then it will be something I haven't played before - just to experience a new game as a new class. It's just what I do. So, perhaps it is an Ogre Shaman. But maybe halfling rogue. Skar has come out of favour with me since they can be half of the playable classes and there may be too many of them running around.

This post was edited by muscoby at February 4, 2017 9:48 PM PST
    • 1618 posts
    February 4, 2017 10:02 PM PST

Altha said:

Elven Cleric, please.

From the lore on the race page, I think Pantheon Elves are a lot more wilderness based, without a hierarchical religious structure that clerics tend to have.

I believe that is why they have Shamans instead of Clerics.