Forums » Secret Class

inventor or engineer

• 81 posts
    February 2, 2017 11:50 AM PST

Since this game is medieval-like based, i think an interesting hidden class would be to be a technology master, with futuristic crafting abilities (at least futuristic for the given time in this game) and possibly cross physical and magic fields at the same time. But magic would more be used like "fuel" for this class. Indeed, why would it be a hidden class ? Because it's a lot different than others.

among other crafts :

-automaton companion and other robots

- grenade launcher, rocket launcher (maybe they would be worse than nowadays guns, but keep the spirit)

- lightning gun, flamethrower

- magic shield

- stun gun

- special chemicals/therapeutics

- powerful explosives

- turrets

- vehicles

This class being hidden, it would require more dedication than other classes to get everything and to craft anything, but it would be more powerful.

Acquiring the ability to use this class should be hard and long, as well as unlocking its skills and crafts, that could require additionnal conditions.

What do you think of it ?

Cheers

This post was edited by Gideon at February 2, 2017 11:58 AM PST
    • 246 posts
    February 2, 2017 12:41 PM PST

You've got some cool ideas there.  My initial reaction was: "that won't fit within the world of Terminus!" Then I rememered that, by definition, there's no thematic consistency within a world defined by a hodgepodge of teleported races.  Also gnome spaceships.  So, yeah, a class built around magic-fueled clockwork technology might be cool.

I don't like the idea of a "hidden" class, and I don't like the idea of a class designed around the whole "more dedication" == "more powerful" paradigm (see EQ Bards for examples).

This post was edited by Shai at February 2, 2017 12:44 PM PST
    • 2011 posts
    February 2, 2017 1:47 PM PST

Shai said:

You've got some cool ideas there.  My initial reaction was: "that won't fit within the world of Terminus!" Then I rememered that, by definition, there's no thematic consistency within a world defined by a hodgepodge of teleported races.  Also gnome spaceships.  So, yeah, a class built around magic-fueled clockwork technology might be cool.

I don't like the idea of a "hidden" class, and I don't like the idea of a class designed around the whole "more dedication" == "more powerful" paradigm (see EQ Bards for examples).

What Shai said. But especially the bolded part. I think of this as mostly a traditional medieval high fantasy for the most part. However with the Gnomes and different teleported in races and cultures from across the universe (multi-verse?) colliding a little sci-fantasy could fit as well. But I would say keep it limited in scope and somewhat consistant with the world. So while I think an Engineer class and Airships and such powered off steam/clockwork/magi-tech/whatever could be fine, but wouldnt want to see Star Trek and laser beams as that might be a bridge too far. 

Im not on board with hidden classes either. But the class idea itself is awesome and I think it would be a great post launch class. I hope that after Necro and Bard finally make their way to the game the next round of classes includes some out of the box and unique classes like Engineer. Bloodmage and Corsair are popular non-tradiional clases too and while I wouldnt want to specifically see these exact classes remade, I like the idea of new and different classes.

• 81 posts
    February 4, 2017 4:44 AM PST

Yeah, maybe i got too far saying the class would be more powerful. But i mean the class being hidden, there must be something appealing to it to make people search for it. I think dedication must appear somewhere to getting this class tho, in one way or another. I don't want a vanilla hidden class that everyone has in one week.

Clockwork style is just what i'm looking for. Steam-powered, clockwork mechanisms, coming down from say the early 19th century inventor's head. Just something a genius from this time  could find with dedicated work.

Cheers

• 102 posts
    June 2, 2018 4:10 PM PDT

I think an Engineer would be a wonderful alternative crowd control class. Here's my go at it:

Engineer:
    The world of terminus has many resources both familiar and new. Engineers have learned to utilize these resources to assist their peers and vanquish their foes. The Engineer's role is to hinder their opponents while augmenting their allies.

Classes: Gnome - Human - Dark Myr - Dwarf - Halfling
    Group Role: Melee Utility, Crowd Control
    Combat Resource: Acuity - In combat the Engineer's Acuity measures the clearness of their vision and hearing. Certain skills can be used at the cost of acuity, which will be recover over time. Acuity affects the Engineer's field of vision and audio volume. When their acuity drops below 20% they will begin expeciencing tunnel vision and loss of hearing. 

Featured Abilities:
    Hardened Focus - Focusing their senses, the engineer is unable to move for 6 seconds. Recoveres a large amount of Acuity. Generates Acuity
    Bola Shackle - Throw a Bola at target enemy, snaring them for 1 minute. Heavy attacks and spells have a chance to break the shackles. Consumes rope.
    Excavate - Using keen eyes the engineer is able to locate useful materials out in the wild. Chance to locate components used for skills (black powder, rope, grease). 

Contraption Abilities
    Greese Trap - Sets a trap that lasts for 1 minute and is triggered when an enemy gets within 1m of the trap. Grease sprays out everywhere hitting all enemies within 3m, preventing the enemy from moving for 18 seconds and increasing damage done by fire for 30 seconds. Consumes grease.

Alchemic Abilities:
    Explosive Strike - A controlled explosion that increases the momentum of the target's next attack. Adds bonus crushing damage to target's next attack. Consumes Acuity and black powder.
    Flash Powder - An explosive powder that blinds all enemies within a 2m radius of the target, making them unable to fight. This ability is cancelled if the enemy takes any damage. Does not affect enemies without vision. Consumes Acuity and black powder.
    Concussion Bomb - An explosive ball that lets loose a loud concussive force, stunning enemies within a 2m radius of target for 5 seconds. Does not affect spectral body type. Consumes Acuity and black powder.
    Spreading Flames - Throw a jar of grease with a flaming cloth on your target burning your target for 30 seconds. If the target dies while affected by this spell, all enemies within a 2m radius will catch fire for 12 seconds. Consumes grease.

I hit the end of my creative streak... HELP! Need more ALE!!! :(

• 1074 posts
    June 3, 2018 2:55 AM PDT

I appreciate your efforts of putting ideas with a structure, however I'm quite shy about the class idea by itself. I played a lot of MMO's that let the "engineering" door opened and they ended going from "Medieval fantasy" to "Flying ships and cannons everywhere" (if not worst).

I feel the slope is quite greasy, to make it relative only to medieval engineering, and not to expand into futuristic designs that basically make the whole fact of sword fighting obsolète.

• 81 posts
    June 11, 2018 10:13 AM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

I appreciate your efforts of putting ideas with a structure, however I'm quite shy about the class idea by itself. I played a lot of MMO's that let the "engineering" door opened and they ended going from "Medieval fantasy" to "Flying ships and cannons everywhere" (if not worst).

I feel the slope is quite greasy, to make it relative only to medieval engineering, and not to expand into futuristic designs that basically make the whole fact of sword fighting obsolète.

It depends on your conception and how deep you look into it. Shooting a bullet to a skelleton should have like 80% miss chance to the least, and deal next to no damage to it, whereas hitting it with a club or a mace will always be better, even if pistols exist. A musket that shoots one bullet every 30 seconds is also no better than a bow shooting 5 arrows in the meantime.

As for the flying ships, maybe you don't know all the pantheon lore, they are already supposed to exist in this game, it wouldn't be an invention specific to this topic as you seemed to assume it would be. Check this :

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/races/gnomes/

Cheers,

Gideon

This post was edited by Gideon at June 11, 2018 10:14 AM PDT
    • 1074 posts
    June 11, 2018 10:36 AM PDT

I do think you are overstating a flying magical city into flying ships of some sort. For now nothing suggest they would go into this slope.

You also misunderstood my point about technology and engineering. I'm not talking of weapons too effective or whatever, I'm talking about crushing the high fantasy genre into some sort of heavy steampunk universe. Guns in videogames aren't guns in real life, and they are specifically made not to overlap medieval weapons, but their existence in the fantasy genre just bring down the whole universe and reduce the feel of a high fantasy genre.

It's a matter of keeping the high fantasy world in itself instead of breaking it into a technology race.