Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

GM Events / Server Question

• 18 posts
    February 1, 2017 9:02 PM PST

Hello all,

I had a couple of questions regarding GM events and servers.  I understand that having special random GM events is a tall order after a few initial months, but I also remember tons of GM events in EQ for the first couple of years (and even WoW early on).  Are GM events going to be a thing in Pantheon?

Secondly, how large are the servers expected to be?  How many players will a server be able to accomodate for before being considered "full?"

Thanks all!

• 9115 posts
    February 2, 2017 1:10 AM PST

Yes, we have discussed this and spoken about it in several podcasts, interviews and streams, we will have GM events, Guides and some other cool stuff that I have planned for you all :)

Server population cap has not been determined yet, it is something we will balance when we launch testing so we can get the data and know how many players we can have on a server while still maintaining good performance, this is an important decision for us and one we will not b taking lightly but it is impossible to say until we can load the servers up and test it out.

There is no ETA on testing yet, we will announce it prior to launching it. :)

• 30 posts
    February 2, 2017 7:39 AM PST

Not just GM events, but world events. To make a more dynamic world, there will be localized events that happen under certain game conditions. The Pantheon team don’t want to create a procedurally generated world; they still want a handcrafted world. However, mixing it up, having populations change, whether by a player triggering the event, weather, day, equinox, etc. The event system will make this all possible.

There will also be a commitment by the live team to revamp older zones to keep them popular as well. 

• 3852 posts
    February 2, 2017 8:16 AM PST

At the risk of being flamed for saying something nice about EQ2 - which many of us view as the EQ franchise going in the wrong direction and with that direction having been nerfed disasterously expansion after expansion - EQ2 has a few things generally perceived as great strengths. One is housing - perhaps the best of any MMO. One is collectibles. The one relevant to this thread is events. In common with many ...mature ....MMOs EQ2 has a lot of events and better than many. Monthly faerie ring events. Monthly city events. Events tied to real world holidays such as Valentine's Day, year-end holidays etc.

Events aren't nearly as important for a new game with so much to do and no bored-maximum level geared characters yet. If the team put them with certain character customization (AA) options as things to do after release I wouldn't disagree. But events are a *good* thing!

• 610 posts
    February 2, 2017 3:29 PM PST

dorotea said:

At the risk of being flamed for saying something nice about EQ2 - which many of us view as the EQ franchise going in the wrong direction and with that direction having been nerfed disasterously expansion after expansion - EQ2 has a few things generally perceived as great strengths. One is housing - perhaps the best of any MMO. One is collectibles. The one relevant to this thread is events. In common with many ...mature ....MMOs EQ2 has a lot of events and better than many. Monthly faerie ring events. Monthly city events. Events tied to real world holidays such as Valentine's Day, year-end holidays etc.

Events aren't nearly as important for a new game with so much to do and no bored-maximum level geared characters yet. If the team put them with certain character customization (AA) options as things to do after release I wouldn't disagree. But events are a *good* thing!

Some of the events in EQ2 could have been good, but they were the same thing year after year after year. the monthly city fares were the same exact thing every month, never any variation or change. Hell even the items you could buy off the vendors never changed. And honestly they had like 4 dress styles (and not meaning dress as in an article of clothing but more as a style) with nothing but a differnt color to set them apart

• 3852 posts
    February 3, 2017 7:39 AM PST

Everything Sevens says I agree with. But I've seen more poorly handled events in some other MMOs and I like it that EQ2 has quite a few events.

• 780 posts
    February 3, 2017 8:04 AM PST

Nick said:

Not just GM events, but world events. To make a more dynamic world, there will be localized events that happen under certain game conditions. The Pantheon team don’t want to create a procedurally generated world; they still want a handcrafted world. However, mixing it up, having populations change, whether by a player triggering the event, weather, day, equinox, etc. The event system will make this all possible.

There will also be a commitment by the live team to revamp older zones to keep them popular as well. 

I hope they are able to deliver on this.  This is one of the things I was most excited about with EverQuest Next.  Maybe they can give us a smaller version of the enormous (impossible?) system EQN was supposed to have.