Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

• 333 posts
    February 1, 2017 11:24 AM PST

I did a search for con or consideration. If there is another thread please point me in the direction :)

Is there going to be a visual for cons of mobs ? green/blue/yellow/orange/red ? Raid target?

Are we going to revert to the hotkey /con target.

I did watch the streams , so perhaps I overlooked it. I never thought about it til just now , so if it is a obvious answer ... :)

• 422 posts
    February 1, 2017 11:38 AM PST

I don't remember them saying anything about this or seeing it in the streams, but I'd think this would be considered an insignifcant UI feature. I doubt it high on priority and thus isn't really on the minds of the devs at this point and probably isn't worth discussing. I would be HIGHLY surprised if there was not some visual queue to signal the target's general level range in relation to your own.

I doubt we'll see any UI refinement of this level until at least Alpha.

• 249 posts
    February 1, 2017 11:54 AM PST
    Right click to con. I saw eq-esque con messages many times in the streams. What would you like your tombstone to say?
    • 2752 posts
    February 1, 2017 12:00 PM PST

I like the idea of having to actually consider targets as opposed to being told their potential power as a base via UI. Plus it's harder to really show their actual disposition toward you without /con, the standard red/green mob nameplates suck (to me). 

• 2886 posts
    February 1, 2017 12:05 PM PST

Currently the con system in Pantheon is nearly identical to that of EQ. Not sure of the hotkey, but it's clearly possible, and those that played EQ will feel right at home with the color code/phrasing.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at February 1, 2017 12:06 PM PST
    • 780 posts
    February 1, 2017 12:22 PM PST

Ashvaild said: Right click to con. I saw eq-esque con messages many times in the streams. What would you like your tombstone to say?

Yeah, I thought I remembered seeing that also.  I also believe they said something about mobs not having their level floating above their heads, but I can't remember where.  I guess it doesn't really matter that much.  I like the old consider command, but if you get a different colored ring around a mob when it's targeted, is that really much different?

• 2886 posts
    February 1, 2017 12:34 PM PST

Shucklighter said:

Ashvaild said: Right click to con. I saw eq-esque con messages many times in the streams. What would you like your tombstone to say?

Yeah, I thought I remembered seeing that also.  I also believe they said something about mobs not having their level floating above their heads, but I can't remember where.  I guess it doesn't really matter that much.  I like the old consider command, but if you get a different colored ring around a mob when it's targeted, is that really much different?

Yes. In some ways, it's more convenient. But as Iksar said, the more important part of conning is being able to quickly determine whether or not that mob is aggressive toward you. There are a number of different ways to do that, but you need to have some way of knowing "X scowls at you, ready to attack" before it actually does.

• 780 posts
    February 1, 2017 12:47 PM PST

That's true, and then that was also the main way you checked your faction, so I guess we should have '/con'.  Kindly, warmly, amiably, indifferently, dubiously, ready to attack, etc.

This post was edited by Shucklighter at February 1, 2017 12:48 PM PST
    • 97 posts
    February 1, 2017 12:57 PM PST

As everyone else has already said, conning seems identical to EQ right down to the phrasing. Now, the issue of undercon mobs is a whole 'nother thing entirely :)

• 780 posts
    February 1, 2017 1:09 PM PST

Ha!  I hadn't thought about that.  I'm not sure whether I'd prefer to tell me it's an even match when I'm going to get smoked, or whether I'd want it to tell me the truth.  I mean, I guess that was all level based, so it wasn't lying.  It just didn't take it into 'consideration' that an NPC was much tougher than a player character of the same level, generally.  Will be interesting to see what they do.  I imagine they'll have to paraphrase the consider messages at some point at least, though. 

• 2752 posts
    February 1, 2017 1:49 PM PST

Shucklighter said:

That's true, and then that was also the main way you checked your faction, so I guess we should have '/con'.  Kindly, warmly, amiably, indifferently, dubiously, ready to attack, etc.

Not to mention that "ready to attack" aggro range was further and more consistent than "threateningly." 

• 839 posts
    February 1, 2017 1:51 PM PST

Just a random though, imagine if a mob who felt threatened could kind of "Puff up" and look / con more threatening or the opposite could play possum and lure you too close then attack! It could be based on that mobs AI disposition... More of just a fun thought, could create a bit too much chaos though lol!

• 780 posts
    February 1, 2017 1:51 PM PST

Yeah, forgot about glare versus scowl.  You could definitely get a lot closer when they were glaring.  I reckon you have quite a bit of experience with the intricacies of the different versions of KOS, Iksar.  Haha.

EDIT:  Haha, if mobs could create their own undercon situation, that would definitely be pretty tough.  I might back down a bit on my 'harshest death penalty they're willing to give us' stance.

This post was edited by Shucklighter at February 1, 2017 1:54 PM PST
    • 839 posts
    February 1, 2017 2:10 PM PST

Shucklighter said:

EDIT:  Haha, if mobs could create their own undercon situation, that would definitely be pretty tough.  I might back down a bit on my 'harshest death penalty they're willing to give us' stance.

Haha too true!!!

(Yellow Con) An Orc Scout flex's his muscles, It looks like he might be struggling to hold it a bit though..

;)

• 97 posts
    February 1, 2017 2:48 PM PST

In all seriousness, I wonder if intentionally putting in overcon/undercon mobs can tie into the perception and environment system. As you increase your perception skill, and knowledge of the surrounding area and its inhabitants, maybe you become better at identifying over/undercons. So if you're in a forest for example, maybe an elf would be able to identify a yellow con orc that's flexing his muscles as really an average orc that would give yellow con xp. But other races would just see yellow con and not know. In a mine or cavern, maybe dwarves would be better suited.

This can also tie into pulling, giving certain races advantages/disadvantages to pulling instead of always wanting a monk or bard, maybe you decide HAY LET TEH D0RF PULL!

• 333 posts
    February 1, 2017 3:00 PM PST

Perception be a nice addition.

You fail the perception check ... The red dragon looks at you warmly. LOL, love it!

• 2752 posts
    February 1, 2017 3:29 PM PST

Hokanu said:

Just a random though, imagine if a mob who felt threatened could kind of "Puff up" and look / con more threatening or the opposite could play possum and lure you too close then attack! It could be based on that mobs AI disposition... More of just a fun thought, could create a bit too much chaos though lol!

It's an interesting idea, though I'd like the con system to be consistent and without much if any "fake outs" if only because death penalties and it makes the system unreliable as a whole if you can't trust it. Maybe it could tie into the perception system, but who knows how that works yet.

I could see it maybe working in limited instances such as you con a snake and it cons light blue, but when you engage it you find out it is actually the tail of another creature whose body cons even with the other mobs in the area. So now it's pretty much like fighting two mobs that can't be split. 

• 334 posts
    February 1, 2017 4:19 PM PST

Quintra said:

In all seriousness, I wonder if intentionally putting in overcon/undercon mobs can tie into the perception and environment system. As you increase your perception skill, and knowledge of the surrounding area and its inhabitants, maybe you become better at identifying over/undercons.

This is a neat idea, I really like it. Perhaps whatever type of con system is in the game could revolve around a range tied in with the perception system. So, with 0 perception/knowledge about the creature and a level 10 mob, I would receive some indication of the mob being a level between 5-15. As my perception/knowledge of the creature increases, that range variance would reduce. This would also work well with some type of enemy mastery system like the one found in EQ2: as I'm killing goblins and studying their body parts, I learn their weaknesses and also can better identify their actual level with my perception check.

• 38 posts
    February 1, 2017 4:55 PM PST

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the color based /con system of EQ was level based, wasn't it?  So that individual MOBs could possibly have more/less hit points, mana pool, stat points and therefore under con and over con, at least slightly, and sometimes more so.

• 333 posts
    February 1, 2017 5:07 PM PST

That is correct , it did not take into consideration of a over con for example.

As for the aggro indicator people above where talking about.

I have seen visual aggro systems, to give a example: A evil goblin kos to you will be green with a red outline (indicating its aggro) also the level of the con.

A good guard might be red con but no outline since its non aggro.

This is more of a quality of life thing and not game breaking , but it does help with the /con on every fricken pull in a new area :)