Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Ability to modify Font size in the UI?

• 200 posts
    January 23, 2017 3:58 PM PST

So I just tried out a 47 inch LED TV as a monitor and ran into some issues with EQ2 Quest window....you can't make the freakin font bigger!!!   Has VR confirmed that every aspect of every possible font of every UI component can be adjusted to any gargantuan or miniscule size as desired by the user at anytime?  I don't want API or plug-ins, just the ability to adjust for my blindness!!

• 52 posts
    January 23, 2017 4:37 PM PST

Im for this aswell and agree please no 3rd party mods and plugins dps meters etc.

• 9115 posts
    January 23, 2017 4:56 PM PST

We will have UI options to customise the size and placement of most, if not all elements of the UI, including text size.

We have already said we will not support 3rd party add-ons like DPS and Aggro meters. We will, however, most likely allow users to reskin the UI with player-made UI themes and skins.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at January 23, 2017 4:57 PM PST
    • 284 posts
    January 23, 2017 5:16 PM PST

Thanks for confirming that Kilsin. Every single mmo I play the text is just ridiculously small in all the relevant windows with no way to fix it, it's incredibly bothersome.

• 169 posts
    January 23, 2017 6:19 PM PST

I always find it odd fonts aren't larger in general in Windows and games.  It doesn't hurt to have really large fonts, but it can help to reduce eye strain.  Is it some kind of superiority complex like keyboards and mice being better than Controllers?  My eyes are much happier since turning up dpi scaling in Windows to maximum.  Too bad not all apps support it.

• 97 posts
    January 23, 2017 8:19 PM PST

I don't care whether it's the default UI or a custom one, please just let me have a very minimalistic setup, no fancy borders or wasted space. Give me the windows, buttons, and info I need and none of that foofoo stuff :) Thank you

• 169 posts
    January 24, 2017 9:53 AM PST

Quintra said:

I don't care whether it's the default UI or a custom one, please just let me have a very minimalistic setup, no fancy borders or wasted space. Give me the windows, buttons, and info I need and none of that foofoo stuff :) Thank you

I would have to agree with you. 

One thing I dislike about modern EQ is that the UI has become so complex.  When you first log in there are windows randomly all over the screen that need to be readjusted. 

The original EQ UI may have taken up most of the screen because of bandwith issues on modems, but at least the UI was set in stone and fairly simple.

I wonder how many peopel actually want to have multiple windows open.  One for a specific chat, one for a specific combat damage log, etc.

• 160 posts
    January 25, 2017 7:37 AM PST

Complexity aside, it's critical to be able to adjust font and UI element size, and the game should also have a good default algorithm for that.

I play on a 31" monitor in 4096 x 2160 (LG 31MU97) and games that neither have good default font size algorithm nor give the option to the user to adjust it are just... painful to look at.

• 2130 posts
    January 25, 2017 7:54 AM PST

UnknownQuantity said:

One thing I dislike about modern EQ is that the UI has become so complex.  When you first log in there are windows randomly all over the screen that need to be readjusted. 

The original EQ UI may have taken up most of the screen because of bandwith issues on modems, but at least the UI was set in stone and fairly simple.

I wonder how many peopel actually want to have multiple windows open.  One for a specific chat, one for a specific combat damage log, etc.

Strange. I actually consider EQ's UI to be among the least complex UIs I've dealt with in a game. That said, EQ is also a very simple game.

The Advanced Loot UI piece has to be the most cumbersome though. I love the functionality but I hate how big it is.

• 169 posts
    January 25, 2017 10:48 AM PST

Liav said:

UnknownQuantity said:

Strange. I actually consider EQ's UI to be among the least complex UIs I've dealt with in a game. That said, EQ is also a very simple game.

The Advanced Loot UI piece has to be the most cumbersome though. I love the functionality but I hate how big it is.

To me there are a bit too many windows.  It is especially bad when you first log in.  There are a lot of Windows and they aren't organized in a logical manner.  Windows are overlapping eachother like they were put at random locations on the screen.

Here is a modern EQ cleaned up.  It is a bit nicer than what you start with.

EQ UI

Here is the classic UI.

I am all for customization, but when you start modern EQ with a new character you are left with a mess of Windows in all different positions.  Also if I am required to have as many windows open as the person above to group or raid I wouldn't really be happy with that.  By contrast the orignal EQ interface takes up a lot of space and is set in stone, but is very clean and simple to use.

Regardless I hope you can change the font size as I also prefer to have a larger size font.  I actually like to be able to have a larger size everything including buttons to close windows.

• 2130 posts
    January 25, 2017 11:25 AM PST

In fairness, I'd consider that first link to be unsightly. My modern EQ UI looks nothing like that. 6 chat windows is exceptionally redundant, and several other open windows are also redundancies.

I won't argue that the default UI experience in EQ is terrible though, but that's more because SOE/DBG are painfully incompetent. Their default UI has tons of needless frilly graphics as well as absolutely hilariously misguided window placement. Not to mention the copious use of transparent UI elements.

I would hope that the Pantheon devs put more than 5 minutes into their default UI experience.

• 1399 posts
    January 25, 2017 12:28 PM PST

Warben said:

So I just tried out a 47 inch LED TV as a monitor and ran into some issues with EQ2 Quest window....you can't make the freakin font bigger!!!   Has VR confirmed that every aspect of every possible font of every UI component can be adjusted to any gargantuan or miniscule size as desired by the user at anytime?  I don't want API or plug-ins, just the ability to adjust for my blindness!!

I too hope all font sizes are adjustable, I need reading glasses all day at work, would really like to take them off when I'm home playing. 

• 15 posts
    January 25, 2017 12:43 PM PST

UnknownQuantity said:

Quintra said:

Completely agree here. The base UI needs to be structured and easily viewable, however, UI customization is always a plus.

• 3016 posts
    January 27, 2017 1:25 PM PST

Kilsin said:

We will have UI options to customise the size and placement of most, if not all elements of the UI, including text size.

We have already said we will not support 3rd party add-ons like DPS and Aggro meters. We will, however, most likely allow users to reskin the UI with player-made UI themes and skins.

Good to hear,  in my younger years I could read the smallest of text.   Not so much any more.  hehe

• 213 posts
    January 28, 2017 10:14 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Great idea Kilsin.  Some of our players might use glasses and having the ability to enlarge health bars and text will be a nice way to accomodate them.

• 71 posts
    February 4, 2020 8:05 AM PST

Nice to hear this will be an adjustment

I would like to add, if possible, to have sepearate Chat Size Fonts, from other icon/button fonts. 

Aside from the ability to individually control fonts in the Chat windows, please include more than just small, medium and large. I think there needs to be a larger range or at tleast five selections.

• 151 posts
    February 5, 2020 6:26 AM PST
    Four Eyes guild now recruiting for us original older players that are getting much older.... and blind.